hi its me again carolm

Hello again
some of you may remember me from quite a while ago , its all a very new website now . Just to let you know what has been happening to me . Well last time i went on here my sister in law went into hospital and died after one lot of chemo she picked up an infection , mrsa it was awful . That was 2 years ago , since then my cancer has spread to my lungs , liver, and bones , i went on a trial but it made me so ill , i ended up in hospital for 15 days , i thought my time had come i can tell you , anyway i am now on vinorabine, herceptin again and zometa. I have had 2 scans and the cancer is shrinking which is great news , this drug is very well tolerated, and i am trying to live my life as well as i can with my beautiful daughters georgie and candice , also my lovely husband . We have booked a cruise in April , i expect it will be my last big holiday , as i have been down this road before and the cancer starts to raise its ugly head again , as you can see i am very realistic. I am on oxynorm for the pain in my back which does make a big difference. I have told my children that when this chemo stops working , i will only have a chemo which is simular to this one as quality of life is very important to me , i will not take anything which is going to make me really ill, so i have prepared them as best i can in case there is nothing they can give me , i have had this cancer for 9 years now so i,ve been fairly lucky , anyway lots of love to you all , feel free to reply ha .

Carol that’s a lovely pic of you. So pleased vinorelbine has worked so well. Have you had Xeloda? If you haven’t just to let you know it’s another ‘kind’ chemo, I feel very well on it. I hope you all have a great holiday in April. I know what you mean about feeling ‘fairly lucky,’ I’ve had my cancer for 5 years.
Take Care Carol…Belinda…xx

Hi Carol

Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. What a shocker! Am glad to hear that your scans have been positive and that you’re tolerating the chemo well. Where’s your cruise to? It sounds like a very civilized way to travel.

I also have liver and lung mets, but am currently on Xeloda and Herceptin which is a joy in comparision to Taxotere and Carboplatin. My latest scan has shown a reduction in size and number, but, like you, I am very aware that it can change at the drop of a hat (as it did last year when the Tax was working wonderfully and then suddenly there was progression). My family hate it when I talk realistically, but what’s the alternative, deluding myself? Anyway, I’m glad you posted cos you’ve reminded me that I should book a holday too whilst the Xeloda is working - can’t imagine going anywhere whilst on hardcore chemo. It’s just the blasted fluid retention from flying that really pees me off, even with the sexy socks. Perhaps a cruise is the way to go!

love & hugs
xxx

Hi Carol - sounds like you’ve had a really tough time. We are also thinking of a cruise, as I’m worried about health care in other countries. Although I still want to go to the far east, it may not be practical with my mobility issues either.

Sitting wondering why I havn’t booked anything tho. Must give myself a good kicking.

Have a great time.

Hi Carol and everybody else,

I’ve been wondering about holidays - it’s so hard to book anything too far in advance because you just don’t know what’s around the corner. But a cruise is a good idea - Mia Online will insure us for cruises and, having been on a mini cruise a few years ago - I know that I would love the pampering!

The thing that puts me off a little bit is that every now and again I hear a horror story about cruise companies who aren’t so good. Anybody got any recommendations?

Deirdre