holiday decision...

Hi all ! Me & my OH are about to book a holiday for July, we are looking at a med cruise.I have a vision of me looking glam sipping champers as we sail into Monte Carlo… another voice in my head says I will be too hot, too worried about catching the sun after all the chemo, rads etc( I am v pale anyway & now, I have been told, will be even more sensitive) & stressed by a sweaty prosthesis!!! yuk!! what do people think… I finished reatment (rads) on Feb 1 tho still v sore, prior to that had 6XFEC & mastectomy. Any advice from people who have been on post treatment hols to sunny climes?
Thanks all
Mand xxx

Hi Mand
I finished my chemo and rads last May and we went to Greece I too was very worried about the sun but it was just the break I needed. i just laid in the shade and swam after 5pm. I had a great time reading and really relaxing. Sorry to hear you are sore. I had blisters from my rads but they healed amazingly quickly. I found wearing sun tops a challenge with a prosthesis but found draping a cotton scarf over my shoulder hid the prosthesis whilst not making me too hot. I do remember getting a bit over tired if I swam and then tried to walk to the town and back. You have to pace yourself!
Happy hols
caro xx

I had lumpectomy and all lymphnodes out in Feb 07, followed by chemo and rads which finished end of Sept, flew out 3rd Oct to Greece for my daughters wedding was still a bit sore from rads, but kept well in the shade and had a fab time, i really enjoyed the break it was what i needed…

Enjoy yourself xxx

Hi,
I had mastectomy in June and auxillary clearance, followed by rejection of implant and septiceamia in July and was rushed back into hospital. Did not have chemo or rads but went away to Lanzarote in September with my best friend, the temperature was in the 80’s and i sweated like mad, mainly due to the Arimidex, the following month October hubby and i went to Corfu, not only was i much further on in my recovery but the temperature was in the 70’s, i had a blast, took my hand held fan everywhere with me, wore a factor 30 sun cream (this from someone who in their teens used cooking oil, it was the 60’s) Hubby hired a air conditioned car and i never felt ill once. I am going out to spain with the whole family beginning of July, taking the fan with me, hiring air conditioned car again and keeping in the shade till about 4pm when i shall be on that sunbed like a beached whale soaking up the rays!

I am sure if your team think you fit it will do you the world of good and give you something to look forward to, like me you will adapt and by July will be so much further on in your recovery, on a big ship you will have plenty of shade and when you disembark remember to cover your bare bits in a factor 30+ and wear a sunhat but most of all enjoy!!! If you are not suffereing from hormonal sweats i don’t think you will have a prob at all, i am booked to go away in april too to Spain.

Get booked and enjoy
Suzzanne

Great to get these positive replies, looks like we are going to go ahead & book in the next day or two, hearing your responses has allayed my reservations about going somewhere warm!
Happy holidays ladies!!
Mand xx