hormone treatment drug which one?

Hi i put a post up just before xmas, my partner has had a 13cm lump removed from her breast on the 20th dec 2016, nothing had reached the lynph noded so hopfully she will just need radiotheripy, she wont want to have chemo anyway thats the way she is loss of hair etc, but her main thing is the medication she has to have after treatment ie tamoxifen, her worry is waight gain plus she suffers with veins and the blood disorder raynards, so we have talked in lenghth and she feels all the side affects publisised are not worth it and she wants to opt for Aromatase instead, but the doctor has never mentioned other treatments except tamoxofen? even though he had not had any other test results back after the lump had been removed or any discusion with his colegues, and when i mentioned about side affects it was kind of dismised ? and if you look at all the trials it seems hard to judge either way and Aromatase does seem to have a lot less side affects, if he bangs on about Tamoxifen she will refuse it , but i suppose at the end of the day its her choice and thats important, i myself have hairy cell lukimia and had chemo in march, but my doctor always gave me choices and i decided what i wanted to do, and i am the type of person who will not do something if i dont want to do it, but Marg feels like shes being rail roaded and pushed towards this drug? i just wanted other imput from other people, so i can support her as there is not a lot i can say to her doctors but understandable im very protective over her,

kind regards john 

Hi John,

Can I ask if Marg is pre or post menopausal? If pre unfortunately the only drug she could take is tamoxifen. If post there is anastrozole  or letrozole, if cancer was oestrogen  sensitive. I had some reactions to tamoxifen so opted to have ovaries removed so now been prescribed anastrozole…don’t like that either! If you search on this site it gives you more info on available meds. It is good that you are both researching and asking questions.  I’m afraid some consultants/doctors do dismiss the side effects:I’ve been made to feel I’m making mountains out of molehills but if it affects your life and worries you, you have a right to be heard. I’m only just now finding out what to ask and about the very young real risks and I was treated in 2013! Good luck to you both, keep protecting her and remember  it’s hard on you too…I know my husband has struggled with all the changes to me/my body with hormonal fluctuations  etc. Take care.