hot flushes

I am having monthly Zolodex implants and taking femera daily (letrozole) as my tumour was hormone + I have posted this subject on another forum and I wondered what response I would get here. Just before I have a hot flush I get a strange feeling like something bad is going to happen, this feeling is worse than the hot flush. It is a little like a panic attack in that I feel afraid, tense and anxious but do not know why, than I think Oh I am going to have a hot flush and than I do. I wondered how common this experience was. all contributions would be gratefully received.

Best wishes
Dawne

Hi Dawne

I thought it was just me! You have described it so well. A wave of hopelessness sort of sweeps over me and I feel as tho’ I want to run away as fast as I can…and then… the hot flush starts! I’m not having Zolodex (no ovaries), so I guess it’s the Femara.

Hi,

I’m on Arimidex and get hot flushes too. Before I get one, I get a wave of a panic feeling that kind of rises up over me and then a few seconds later I get a flush. Exactly the same as you!

Sheana x

sheanamarie - I have been on Arimidex for just over a year and started off with 10-12 hot flushes a day but now they are down to 2 - 3 so keep your fingers crossed. It should get better.

Take Starflower Oil capsules 1000mg with a min content of GLA 220mg. It will take about 6 weeks for you to feel any benefit from them, they reduced my hot flushes from about 20 a day to 4 or 5. I had to stop taking them for 2 weeks before an operation I had recently and the flushes came back with a vengeance during this time. After the op I started taking them again and within 2 days I was back to having 4 or 5 a day.

I have exactly the same feelings and symptoms as you , I have Zoladex implants the side effects are horrible and really disturb my sleep, Ive had lots of conversations with my lovely oncologist but he says nothing is proven to help and to try to ride out the storm. So its windows open and duvet off again tonight

so far so good I am usually only a bit on the warm side at nights - I’ve had the odd time that I’ve woken with a grand heat on the go but keeping the windows (and curtains open) a good waft of the duvet usually sorts the problem out … no OH in the bed with me at nights so I can waft the duvet as much as I like and I can also move to the other side of the bed to cool down too.

During the day I am not too bad but I have had the odd time when I’ve suddenly got very warm - I tend to just fan myself with a bundle of invoices or go stand on the step for a while … at least I am a source of amusement for the others in my office. Just to be on the safe side I do plan next pay day to invest in a desk fan to put in my bedroom.

On the serious side I was advised that Oil of Evening Primrose can help - have bought some but not felt the need to take any yet. Was also told that if things got really bad sometime swapping the time of day you take the medication can help - or trying a different brand can help as well.

I have the panicky feeling but its normally as the flush starts so I put it down to knowing I am about to feel like I am going to pass out and I will have to do something to let the heat out which is embarrassing. I have tried to ignore them saying to myself “it will pass, it will pass” but I cant. I have a fan on my desk at work and try to wear layers so I can peel one off without ending up in my undies!!

Still, as my onc said, they prove the drugs are working I will put up and shut up I suppose.

AJxxx

Hi all, evening primrose or star flower oil (gla’s) + vitamin E works even better than oil on it’s own. They work synergystically (I know, dreadful spelling!) My flushes were gone within 2 weeks, apart from the very odd one that I get when I wake up!
clairexx

Hi all
Here is a link to a Breast Cancer Care publication called ‘Menopausal symptoms and breast cancer’ which some of you may find useful to read, please also feel free to call our helpline on freephone 0808 800 6000 for further support and information about safely managing your symptoms, the line is open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/menopausal_symptoms_jun_2006_0.pdf

Best Wishes
Lucy

Hi All

A quick question!

Can you take evening primrose or starflower if your BC is E+ & P+??

Thanks
x

Yes you can… I am ER+++ and PR+++

Thanks Spooks
Me too!! It’s so difficult to know what you can take and what you need to avoid
x

I agree - I was given a verbal run down of do’s and don’ts for tamoxifen by the onc and anther verbal run down by the rads team … combine the 2 and it goes on forever.

Hi Lilac

I agree and what’s worse is I seem to have no ability to retain this much information in my brain anymore!!!
x

I am taking starflower oil & vitamin E. I am also trying acupuncture. These have reduced my hot flushes from about 40 a day to 20, but this is still really getting me down, plus I sleep really badly due to the flushes. I use a chillow at night. Does anyone have any other ideas that might work? Or can anyone tell me that it will get better with time? I have been on tamoxifen since Oct 07.

Hi All

I suffer from night sweats about 10 mins after going to bed!
Normally, one foot out of the bed for a while works a treat but then I realised that I have a Magicool spray on my bedside - quick blast of that works an absolute treat!!!

HTH xx