hot flushes

hi,can anybody please give me some advice.am 46 and have 1 more chemo to go.but am getting hot flushes at night due i think to a early menopose.havnt started tamoxifen yet but will soon. the s/e which include hot flushes.hope they dont add to the ones i aready have. my biggest problem is i don`t sleep what with the hot flushes (about 3 or 4 anight)and getting out to go to the toilet it aright pain.will take evening primrose as they are ment to help!!!.when i start my rads
thank you
queenie

Hi Queenie,

I’d love to tell you there is a magic bullet but haven’t found one yet!

I keep the room cold and sleep naked except for socks to keep the moisturiser in! Then I have a lightweight blanket covering me and the duvet on top if its really cold. When I do get hot in the night, its easier to manipulate the small blanket and I also don’t wake my husband with too much duvet pulling!

I find that sprinkling cold water on my head and neck helps me cool down faster and get back to sleep.

I console myself with the thought that the chemo is doing its work and its just another bloody thing I have to put up with…

Sorry its not more helpful but you’re not alone!

Laurie x

Hi there

I started getting hot flushes whilst on chemo (18 months or so ago), and when I went onto tamoxifen, they did get a bit worse. I battled on for quite some time, but at my last checkup, I gave in and asked my oncologist if there was anything he could give me that would help me.

He prescribed a mild anti-depressant, and at first, it gave me very strange side effects. I stuck with it however because from day 1, it made a huge difference to the hot flushes. I sometime still get what I call mini ones, but they’re no where near as bad as they used to be. I’ll stay on the tabs for as long as they keep the flushes in check.

hi sarah can you please tell me what mild anti-depressants have still got one more chemo to get through then take tamoxifen but it doe seem that i will still contine to get flushes.

It’s a tablet called Venlafaxine (think that’s the spelling lol). I take one tablet twice a day - morning and evening, and the strenght is 37.5mg per tablet. As I understand it, it’s one of the best ones to take if you’re on tamoxifen (some other more main-stream anti-depressants cause tamoxifen to be less effective).

I dont’ know if it works for everyone, but it certainly make my life a bit easier :slight_smile:

Hope this is helpful x

Hi queenie,

am assuming you are Er + as you will be taking Tamoxifen, just check with Onc about taking EPO as many do not recommend it in ER + Breast cancers, I think Bcc have info on it too.

Sarah.xx

I had really bad hot fluses during chemo too and my GP prescribed a low dose of Citalopram and it really did make a difference, so it’s worth asking about it.

I’m 4 years down the line and still looking for the answer to the hot flush problem. Mine are so bad at times, the heat off my chest steams my glasses up.
I had a chillow for a while and that was helpful, my son then pinched it and I’ve not got round to getting another.
There is special bedding you can get, I think its called something like Climalite, I havent tried it, but have seen it advertised.
As for clothing, I just wear layers and peel them off as necassary.
xxxxx