hot flushes

hi has anyone tried CLONIDINE or VENLAFAXINE for hot flushes? my bcn suggested i ask my gp to put me on one of them as im desperate as my flushes are really bad…

Hi Im on clonidine for the hot flushes and I have to say it has helped, the only down side on them is you have to be very careful with any other medications you are taking as they do react to certain drugs, I would say def worth trying though my flushes have reduced by about 70%

Good luck x

Hello, I am suffering with Anastrozole side effects lately - not too many to begin with since starting them last Sept but they are making up for lost time now! - and the hot flushes seem to coincide with the hot weather and make me feel as though i am melting, literally!!

I tried my Chillow pillow and wish now i had 2!! they were only 5.99 on Ebay so i may just treat myself again!

I also have a runny nose and the sneezes every day - probably because one minute i am roasting and the next i am cool!!!

I am popping round to my little local library in a minute to enjoy the coolness in there for awhile - one day they will cotton on as to why i suddenly go in there more than usual!

Enjoy the summer weather and be very careful in the sun1

Cheers, Michele x

This time of year I look forward to going to work because of the air-conditioned environment!  Hot flushes are horrible and I always think I must stink of sweat!

I’m on letrozole and generally suffer more from night sweats but do get some daytime flushes.  We bought a mobile air-conditioning unit from B&Q a couple of years back.  A bit noisy, but in the summer I tend to switch it on for a while in the evening in our bedroom so it’s reasonably cool up there when we go to bed.  Definitely worth the investment.  Wouldn’t be without my Chillow either.  

I tried blood pressure medication for flushes but it made me feel continually nauseous and didn’t help with the flushes unfortunately.  Worth a try but check out the side-effects of withdrawal of Venlaflaxine if you do decide to take it for a while.  I have a friend who is now needlessly taking Venlaflaxine (as it no longer controls her flushes) because the withdrawal was so unpleasant when she tried. 

I agree to some extent about being careful in the sun but don’t forget your body needs sunlight for vitamin D which is important for bone health, especially for those on AI so some sun exposure is good.