Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long before chemo starts after mx

9 REPLIES 9
poemsgalore

Re: how long before chemo starts after mx

Hi

I had my Mx 12.12.12, but didn't start chemo until 05.02.13. 3 nodes removed, one with cancer cells. Oncologist wasn't too fussed about whether I accepted chemo or not, so she obviously thought I'd be ok. I know you can't help but worry, but you will be fine and once chemo begins, you'll be through it in no time.
meemoo

Hi there,

I am also interested in your post. I came out hospital yesterday (stayed in 8 days) following a MX and imediate rec using implant. My nodes where clear but have been told that they want to 'talk to be about chemo' (which is hospital speak for YOU WILL NEED CHEMO), and i believe this is due to my age (40 in two weeks time). I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of this cancer thing already so it was lovely to read the post which said 'it'll be over quicker than you think'.

Keep positive x x
polly_1

Hi Angie, I'm being treated at the same hospital as you and it took 6 1/2 weeks after op for chemo to start. It would have been longer but I kept phoning and pushing for an appointment with onc. When I saw onc she said chemo could start in 2 weeks but I insisted on the next week and she sorted it out straight away so don't be afraid to ask.
I had 2 WLE's but still don't have clear margins and lymph node clearance (2/13 nodes affected). I was diagnosed at the start of October and was really concerned about the length of time everything was taking as chemo didn't start until 23rd January. Long waits for ops and scan results really built up and I'm now having chemo followed by a mastectomy as even my Breast Surgeon agreed we really need to get chemo underway now!
I hope you recovering well from your op and you'll be well looked after when chemo starts as the nurses are so lovely. If you need anything just ask and hopefully we can meet up when your up to it.
Take care x
Lola65

Hi,

I had my first surgery 18th January, cavity shave 22nd February to get a wider margin. I start chemo on 8th April - this has been delayed 2 weeks at my request to accommodate a portacath fitting but my oncologist wasn't at all concerned.
Kirstie

Hi
Angiepops had my mx in August 2012 started chemo in October 2012 just finished rads a week ago dont worry it will be over sooner than you think Take care xxx
Jo80

I had my surgery on 13th December and started chemo on 7th Feb, I also had a large number of nodes involved. Oncologist wasn't concerned by the delay.

Jo
angiepops

thanks, christine and jlr
i know not to google, it was something on a news page about a celebrity that caught my eye, i was even up and awake during the night. i think ive got too much time on my hands. i'll see what today brings, i do think they forget me, ive had to chase every single appointment.
angie x
Jlr

Hi I think I was just very lucky as I had my surgery 19th feb and then had to see consultant a week later for the histology results. At that appointment I was told they got clear margins but had 9 infected lymph nodes! They gave me an appointment for that same week with oncologist and I started chemo the week after! I am due my second bout of chemo on Thursday! Things moved very quickly for me.
Try not to worry to much because as the consultant said to me, the surgery has removed everything and the chemo and rads are just mopping up! It takes a long time for cancer cells to grow apparently!
I hope you are not too long waiting and can just get on with the rest of treatment, good luck xx
Mungos_mum

Hi Angie,
I had a similar concern and ended up calling all and sundry to organise an appointment. It took me calling the Onc's secretary before I secured an appointment. If your BCN is chasing, it should help, but don't be afraid to call until you get the response you want. This is, after all, your life. I started chemo 6 1/2 weeks after surgery, which, I beleive, is fairly average. The team will want to be sure that you are fully recovered from your op before subjecting you to chemo.
Please please please do not compare yourself to other people with similar symptoms, or results. Everyone is different and will react differently to treatment. No two stories are the same. Concentrate on your own situation, look after yourself and stay away from Google!
Best wishes,
Christine xx
angiepops

how long before chemo starts after mx

hi
i had mx and anc on 5th march 3 weeks ago, i already know i am having 18wks (6x3wks) chemo and 3 wks of rads. i have been told i would be getting a letter with an appointment to see onc but had nothing as yet. i rang bcn and she is going to chase it up but easter is coming so its going to be at least another 2wks befor i can get seen so in total around 7wks before i start treatment. they said more than half of my lymph nodes were affected and now im worried that its going to get a chance to spread if there was anything went astray. i know its that waiting thing again but its starting to really bother me and i just read about someone who had the same 3 years ago and it spread and now she's end of life care, so now its bothering me even more.
how long did you have to wait, have i been forgotten or is it normal waiting time?
thanks, angie x