I had a mx and recon last year as part of my BC treatment, but when I had the gene test and came up positive for BRCA 2 I opted for a propholactic mx and recon on the other side. I thought I would have to wait but was told no, because I was so high risk I jumped to the head of the line and only women actually diagnosed with cancer would be ahead. Like the other poster I choose when it was suitable for me. I had it done at the end of May this year.
im wondering whether to give them a ring, as i said i thought the 18 week rule applies for you having to be seen but not sure when its a propholactic. i finished my herceptin begining of december 2010. i hate this wait, my sister has been diognosed twice since my mastectomy, i just want rid as dont want to get BC again and go through the trauma of chemo etc.
I had a mastectomy in April 2010 and finished Herceptin in July this year.I first saw the plastic surgeon and breast surgeon in May this year and was advised I could have a prophylactic mastectomy/recon pretty much when it suits.For me that will be November after my long awaited holiday in October.Just waiting for a date to come through the post.
Hi ladies its a while since ive been on here but just wanted to kn ow how long did any of you you have to wait before your surgery was carried out. I had my first mastectomy in march 2009, i had to wait until my herceptin treatment had finished before they would put me on waiting list for the propholactic with immediate reconstruction. I have been on it since january this year, i though patients had to be seen within 18 weeks or is it different when you are having a propholactic? just wondered if any one else has had to wait and how long.
thanks julie x