362712posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long do u feel tired for after radiotherapy finishes

Highlighted

how long do u feel tired for after radiotherapy finishes

hey girls, its been six weeks since i finished a months radiotherapy at the QE. I expected to be back at work by now but still am having a sleep everyday - is this just me being pathetic or did others find themselves zombified after treatment debbie from walsall xxx

156 REPLIES 156
Highlighted

Hy Frank, good to read your post, I have been off RT 6 weeks and taking Letrazol, I have now gone into a slump. I am driving my husband round the bend, no patients, feeling high & then low it is driving me mad. I am not allowed to do anything, so my husband is doing everything cooking washing up the lot. I had breast, cancer wich went into my lymph nodes. 25 sessions of Radiotherapy. I can't even carry my bag on my right arm, even though it doesn't hurt, I see my oncologist in February.
Highlighted

They have already told me I can expect my next mammo Feb/March next year. Hopefully Colin will keep on a level for a few years!
Lots of hugs to you as well, Roy & I have a hug everyday,xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

Know what you mean but sometimes it is hard, but it will get better my friend.

We are fine.  Colin is maintaining the status quo with his condition for which I am grateful.  I have my first proper clinic apt come through for 28/4/18 and I should have my first mammo about a month before that, the hospital I am under do not do them until 18 months after diagnosis.

Sending you lots of hugs

Helena xxx

Highlighted

They are ringing me up from the Parapet Windsor for my end of treatment interview on Wednesday. Notmuch anyone can do really, just got to get through it &hope next year is better! How are you &your husband? Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

It is lovely to hear from you.  Its no wonder you are feeling under the weather with so much else going on with Roy.  Good to hear that his op was successful and hopefully the trouble with his pressures will sort out

Is there anyone that you can talk to about how you feel, perhaps a MacMillans or Maggies Centre by you?

Helena xx

Highlighted

Still feeling rubbish, but had so much happen , finding it difficult to pull myself together, Roy had op, which was successful, but now trouble with pressure i. His eyes, just wish I didn’t feel so down!

Highlighted

Thank you Ladies I finished my radiotherapy in August and although the fatigue has lessend I feel rubbish and low. Reading this has given me hope.
Highlighted

3 more rads left then I'm done xx little fairy
Highlighted

hi frankey im right with  you on the roller coaster bit it would be lovely to just step off the ride and not do it anymore but we all seem to be on this roller coaster ride sometimes we are up then woosh down we go again i hope you are feeling better today sending you a big hug look after yourself and remember to be nice to yourself and let your body and mind rest when it needs it xx best wishes little fairy

Highlighted

Hi franky

I think what you are describing is very common after rads ends - many of us have posted about the "post-rads blues" as I have decided to call it. Although I didn't feel ill as such, for a week or so after the last session of rads I felt a bit low and somehow a bit "lost", haivng been really upbeat and postive throughout until then. I put it down to the whirwind of appointments - diagnostics, diagnosis, surgery, follow up post-surgery, rads, (particularly the relentless flogging up to the hospital each day for the rads), meaning that I hadn't really had time to process the fact that I had had cancer, but once the rads ended I had time and space to reflect, and also didn't have the "safety net" of meetings with professionals for a bit, so for a while I felt lower than I had at any point since diagnosis. And it gets better of course!!! I think this stage is one of the many that we pass through on our cancer experience, and maybe it is a necessary one even if a bit unpleasant at the time.

Certainly some counselling should help. You say you have been brave, and you are still brave, and having a wobble now, when you are feeling physically s**t , doesn't mean you are not, so don't beat yourself up about that. You will know rationally that the bc isn't back so soon after treatment, but just now you are feeling rough which lets the worry monster get a grip.

Look after yourself, give yourself a few treats and rest as much as your body tells you to do, and then a bit more! xxxxx.

Highlighted

Very helpful to read this post.  I was so positive through RT treatment (four weeks) and now its over  (4 days since) I have sunk into a slightly negative frame of mind and my ribs and lung and back ache and I'm feeling **bleep**.  I was so hoping not to let myself slip into negative thoughts, but I'm now thinking it could be back and questioning, am I feeling like this because it's somewhere else when I didn't think that at all during the treatment.  It's strange.  I'm having weird thoughts like what I would like my funeral to be like and Ive never thought stuff like this.  I told my husband and he told me that I need to pull myself back into getting better.  I had a long walk today which was good.... last nights sleep was awful possibly due to a flu jab yesterday morning.  I've been fine on letrazol hormone tablet so grateful for that in fact I've felt very good really until just after I finished the RT four weeks at the hospital.  I have a very sore boob and its so itchy and red but I'm just not myself in my head now.  I don't really know what to do with myself.  Perhaps I can ask to speak to a psychotherapist at the hospital so that's a  useful thought.  Sorry to rant.  Roller coaster is the word and I feel like ive been being brave and underneath I'm melting down a bit.

Highlighted

Hi Corrina

just responding to your post as I am going through similar. Have had surgery, then started Letrozole which gave me such awful side effects I have come off them and will perhaps try something else later. Am now half way through radiotherapy and all was good for first week and a half then this weekend it all hit me I have aches and pains, shooting pains, exhaustion nausea and headache I can't shift. Confused as to if these symptoms are due to radiotherapy or Letrozole still leaving my system. Just waiting as I type to see BCN. Take care and look after yourself.

Highlighted

Hi fif

Been a nightmare week, Roy taken into hospital Monday, they thought he had triple nerve palsy! It has kept changing & he has moved to two different wards  now they think he has an enlarged pituitary resting on optical nerve & I am meeting him at Windsor eye hospital, the ambulance will take him & I willmeet him at two! They then think he will have to go to the John Ratcliffe at Oxford & that is too far for me or to ask anyone to take me

He is in his own roomnow, but bored silly. See what happens today. Totally exhausted!x

Highlighted

That's it, just keep going and you will get through it. Sending you love..... and hope your man is feeling better (and seeing better!) Fif xx
Highlighted

goodSmiley Happy

Highlighted

After the week we had last week down in Dorset, driving between hospitals, doctors etc, then driving home, just a bit tired!xx But battling on.
Highlighted

After the week we had last week down in Dorset, driving between hospitals, doctors etc, then driving home, just a bit tired!xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

Just make sure you get plenty of rest tonight as well though, dont need you getting ill xxxx

Highlighted

Need all the hugs we can get ! Thanksx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Diane

Oh mate, thats all the both of you need, just sending you a squidgy hug xxxx

Highlighted

Thank you, just home from the hospital, he seems happier in there, but hopefully out tomorrow!x

Highlighted

Hi Dianne,

Rant on as much as you like! I know what you mean - it's really difficult when you feel so rubbish yourself. My husband has been a rock but when he was poorly I couldn't cope because I used it all up on myself. You will get through this xx Jak

Highlighted

I finished rads 4 weeks ago & last week my husband & I set off to Dorset to our caravan for a rest, he has had an op for detached retina & last Monday a hormone injection. I started my hormones three weeks ago, have had nausea & the fatigue. Down two days & he reacted to hormones, nausea, loss of appetite etc, then the next day he started having a problem with good eye, going darker, so had to drive him to doctors, then on to Dorchester hospital. , back to make dinner. Next day, his vision was double , so back to Pharmacy, he said come home & see eye surgeon, so yesterday I drove the three hours home. Unpacked, got dinner, put on washing etc. Now this morning, don't feel I can start another week of driving between hospitals & doctors with him,He has rung a friend up to take him, but feel so bad, sorry didn't know who else to rant to as so worried about him!

love Diane xxx

Highlighted

I finished rads last August (yes 11 months ago!) and have only just stopped feeling rubbish and tired nearly all the time.  The last 3 weeks I've finally noticed a big improvement physically which has also helped me mentally as well.  I can hardly believe how long it's taken me to recover from this, but at last it seems to be happening, so hang in there!  I was starting to think that I was never going to get my energy back.

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

I've been back to school on ammended duties for 2 weeks. I finished treatment in January - so yes it can take a long time! I'm still having to pace myself; being back at work is good therapy but knowing I can go home if I need to is great. I have been taken off Anastrozole and will not take anything until everything else is back on track. Also had 2 lots of blood tests which showed nothing wrong.

Keep resting and taking exercise when you can and you'll get through this.

xxx Jak

Highlighted

Hi Chrissy Mac,

I really feel for you, it took me a long time to get my energy back and now on tamoxifen which seems to cause some fatigue (in some people) but not anything like that after radio.

Have you had blood tests to check if you are anaemic? That can also cause fatigue. I felt so knackered after radio my GP agreed to carry out tests and turned out I had developed severe anaemia between diagnosis of bc and end of radio. I don't know if this was independent of bc or whether the bc/treatment somehow contributed.   

I gradually got energy back and had less fatigue after taking the iron supplements.

I hope this helps, worth getting checked.

It does get better as time goes on.

Seabreeze (nearly 3 years on - get my latest results later this week)

XXX   

Highlighted

I had 5 weeks off work after finishing rads and needed it! 

Highlighted

Sorry to ear you are still so low in energy ChrissyMac, hopefully you will feel stronger soon. Im going back to a full time job next month so Im hoping I can manage it as well as shopping cooing a cleaning . seems like its an impossible task at mo but hoping I will be stronger by then . but I do worry that I may not be able to manage. xx

Highlighted

I finished my rads end of October and I am still very low energy. I find I can only do one main thing a day i.e. Attend my part time job/walk dog for an hour/ do a supermarket shop - can't do all 3 in one day like I used to be able to. I want to do things but just don't have the energy.
Highlighted

Hi Mcardona so sorry you are feeling so low.but this is normal at this stage. Its been over two wks now since I finished my Rads and Im still not feeling very good. Like you I was feeling very low after finishing my sessions. I suppose you kind of go on a short high coz your finished your sessions but then because you are feeling so tired and washed out and are still sore from the treament we plummet again. I have found it helpful to vent what Im feeling on here as others are supportive and understand what your going through. Everyone seems different though and I guess we have to do whats right for ourselves.I found I needed a lot more rest than usual after my treatment but gradually Im trying to fit positive things into my week but listening to my body aswell as have felt I need to pace myself. I have been trying to build myself up emotionally and physically using support available to me. I now see a Psycotherapist who is part of the breast cancer team at the hospital I attend so am able to talk through my anxieties and low feelings with her which I am finding helpful . I also have attended a Maggies Centre(charity venue for people with or recovering from cancer) to do some yoga which I am  finding helpful in building myself up a bit physically , however its early days for me too. I had felt a bit better the last couple of days but then today I feel totally wrecked again. Im guessing it may be some days are better than others but hopefully moving in the direction of wellness.

I like others have found drinking lots of water ,doing some exercise and walking helpful but also remember to get plenty rest and good nutrition as your body is busy healing . Im hoping you start to feel a bit better soon , but it is very normal what you are feeling. You have been through major surgery and rads. Its and emotional roller coaster and so its understandable it takes time to recover . I guess we need to be patient and kind to ourselves and not expect too much too soon, however it is so frustrating but hopefully we will get there in the end .Seek help from your breast care team if you feel you need some extra support.Thats what they are there for  Take care xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi marcadona
It's not unusual to have the feelings you describe, others have said the same.
The whole bc experience is an emotional roller coaster & when treatmemt finishes there can be a sense of anti climax as well as not having the security of regular contact with the team & the routines of treatment, so feelings of readjustment are common.
It does pass, but do seek advice from your gp or call the helpline above if you feel your feelings are resolving.
ann x
Highlighted

Hi Mcardona, sosorry that you are feeling low. I think we feel veryalone and out on a limb when the treatment finishes - i know i did even though i was surrounded by family and friends! The radiotherapy makes you so tired and i felt like this was it, this was me and i was never going to be the 'real me' again. I finished radio at the end of december, felt wrecked but then felt great after 3 weeks and went back to work. It then hit me like a ton of bricks and i was tearful and shattered so just worked a couple of days each week and rested as much as i could. Nobody tells us this is going to happen!! I am 4 months on now and definitel feel i have turned a corner and the old me is coming back! Is there someone you can talk to? Have you been drinking plenty of water and going for a short walk each day? I think getting out each day is really important. Dont forget you have your BCN and your GP who are there to support you. I really hope you feel better soon lovely xxc
Highlighted

I finished radiation last week and I feel depressed tired and I do not know what to expect

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your messages and hope you are all feeling more positive. The exercise and water are so important for fatigue. Also to pace rather than push. It came as quite a shock to start going what felt like backwards but is possibly just a blip or a reaction to Anastrozole. I'm still signed off;  at least until I get blood test results. Going back to work has to be a positive experience to be part of the healing process so no point if you don't feel up to it (also depends on your line of work!).

X Jak

Highlighted

Hi ElliB im feeling like rubbish too and wish i had more energy. good that your breast nurse seems to be supportive. Mine was lovely but told me that some people work all the way throuugh their treatment which made me fee worse as I couldnt have done this and still dont feel ready to go back to work yet . Im 10days post rads and it takes a lot of determination from me ust to get myself in the shower and ready in the mornings as def havnt got any get up and go wich I hope will come back eventually. Sounds like you have had a really tough time due to your skin reaction so bound to take you longer to feel better..guess we just have to be patient with ourselves . need to get some exercise but also lots of rest,nutitious food and drink plenty water ..its a long haul this cancer malarky ..its a struggle to keep going at times . Im hoping you start to feel a bit better soon..Take care luv and hugs xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Jak

Oh mate I am sooo sorry to hear that you have not had a good time of things lately, know what you know, the anxiety monster rears its head and there is nothing you can do to stop it, it is hard to be rational.  A couple of weeks ago I had such a bad pain in my side and back, was convinced it was something sinster, NO it was a kidney infection, something I get regularly but never would have worried about before my bc.

Sending you a hug, we will beat this, let us know how you get on.

Helena xxxx

Highlighted

hi Jak60 sorry to hear you havent been too well . Im hoping your tests go ok and its nothing to worry about .. Im still feeing really tired but only finised rad last FRiday so I need to be more patient.. take care .hope you feel better soon xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies,

I haven't posted for a while. Thought all was going well then crashed over Easter. Have been getting more pains behind ribs, wobbly, tired- have had blood tests today. Probably nothing but anxiety and post rads etc but you ladies understand the gremlins!! I should have had a phased return to work this week but that is now on hold. It's not fair on any of us but we have to listen to our bodies and take all the help offered. My GP says it's hard to trust your body after something serious.

Hang on in there ladies we will beat this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jak x

PS had my rads in January

I finished my radiotherapy a week ago now and still feeling really tired and get very down and weepy at times. Knowing life and my body will never be the same again is difficult to cope with and I know that I will always wander if the cancer will come back. I have also been referred to a psychologist who is part of the breast team I think and this is helpful as I feel she understands whereas even though my friends and relatives are around I ont really think they understand how Im feeling or why im not ok now. Im hoping with the right sort of support I will start to feel happier soon and feel like getting on and enjoying life xx
Highlighted

Hi Ali,
That's really reassuring thank you. That makes sense about the pain too. I think it's other people's comments too about how everything is "fine" now that I've finished treatment and so I'll be "fine" too, but I don't feel that way and they can't understand why! Xx
Highlighted

Hi Eli, i finished in December too and i am 9nly just beginning to feel ok again after a rough few months. I started to feel absolutely shattered and down 4 weeks after treatment finished and that went 9n for the next 2 months. I think i have only just started turning the corner in the last couple of weeks. I have also been back to the breast clinic twice due to pain and being sore. They said the shooting pains are nerve pains after the surgery and the radio. IMy BCN also got me an appointment with the psychologist which did help me to recognise that everything i was feeling was normal. Be kind to yourself and just give yourself time to heal - inside and out! I hope you start feeling better soon xx
Highlighted

Also does anyone have shooting pains in their affected breast? Not constant, but done days much worse than others?
Highlighted

I finished rads late December and I'm still feeling rubbish. I had a bad skin reaction that is only starting to clear now. I've been changing dressings twice daily up to two weeks ago. The nurse from the Beatson (Glasgow) told me this is early days for recovery and that I can expect to still be very tired. My BCN told me similar - she said "it's ONLY April", when I was saying "but it's now April!". I know they're the ones to be listening to and I get the 'everyone's different' thing but most folk on here seem a bit better by 4 months on. Think I'm just finding the whole thing frustrating coz I'm done with treatment and it's all been very positive- but I still feel so 'done'!
Highlighted

I just finished my Rads on Friday and been feeling really tired over the wkend ,but also started taking Letrazole so not sure if the tiredness is from the Rads of the tablet x

Highlighted

Hi ladies I finished rt in October last year and went back to work end of November on a phased return of 3 days now doing 4 days and next week I'm back to full time, I found it more tiring when I was getting the treatment more so than after it , I suppose everyone's body is different, hopefully you all feel less tired soon xx
Highlighted

Kat what do you think has helped to most to feel better? I had a very similar experience to you, except am about 6 months behind you, and I've carried on working despite feeling tired all the time. I'm wondering when I'm going to start bouncing back. So far it's very slow progress each week a tiny bit better. X
Highlighted

Thanks for your comment Kat. I'm glad you are feeling better now. x Jak

Highlighted

Hi,

First time posting!!  I was diagnosed with Triple Negative BC in June 2015 and went through 6 cycles of chemo, a lumpectomy in Nov 2015 and 19 courses of Radiotherapy during the month of January 2016.  I worked all through my treatments (except treatment days) including doinga half days at work before heading straigh to the hospital for my radiotherapy lol

I managed fine with fatigue until about 4 weeks after my radiotherapy finished!  Then BOOM, I suddenly felt like I'd been hit by a double decker bus and ended up off work for 9 weeks recouperating.  Now a year on, I am still more tired than normal but most definitely better.

Highlighted

Thank you, that's good advice. I have to remember that I am working and coping with other things as well as recovering from treatment, and still trying to get my head around having had bc in the first place. I'm going to bed now, here's hoping for sleep 🙂 It really helps to know that all you lovely ladies understand.xx

Highlighted

I found the first 2 weeks I was completely washed out but now I have pockets of fatigue after I've done too much. Remember pace not push yourself! x Jak