362712posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long do u feel tired for after radiotherapy finishes

Highlighted

how long do u feel tired for after radiotherapy finishes

hey girls, its been six weeks since i finished a months radiotherapy at the QE. I expected to be back at work by now but still am having a sleep everyday - is this just me being pathetic or did others find themselves zombified after treatment debbie from walsall xxx

156 REPLIES 156
Highlighted

I have just read somewhere that your energy levels are like a "high street Bank", and when you have no energy or have used it all, the "Bank" is overdrawn, so you have to make "deposits" into the Bank to get the levels up again. So you have to take "30 minute naps" or rest every day, whether you feel like it or not and this will "top up" the Bank again and your energy levels will get back to normal. A good idea after or during radiotherapy. x

Highlighted

Hi Debbie,
I finished my rads in march 2010 and rushed back to work 5 weeks later. I have struggled with energy ever since. I have found accupuncture very useful for giving me a boost. I had a breast reduction in April 2011 and have found that has knocked me sideways! I should have gone back to work this week 6 weeks post op but the GP has signed me off for another 3 weeks. I was terrible beating myself up for not moving on and not being at the point of recovery I thought I should have reached. Be nice to yourself and give yourself a little bit of time.
Jane x

Highlighted

Hi Debbie, as others have said, your NOT pathetic, 5 months after rads, I'm still very tired, last hospital appointment I mentioned it to the surgeon, she just said yes you will still be tired, just rest when you can. I am back at work was phased back in 6 weeks after rads had finished, but as I work in a school, there is always a countdown to the next hols, so I do get plenty of rest!

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone has different experiences, rest when you need it, take care x

Highlighted

HI Debbie, I had 15 rads after 2 ops and 6 chemo - sorry to say I had a "siesta" every day I could for about 4 months!! Please don't fight it, just let your body recover. I was told its a bit like your good cells are restoring so its hard your your body is doing. Good luck, Nicola

Highlighted

Hi Debbie, I'm 4 weeks post 24 rads and am still shattered. Don't think the chemo has left my body let alone the radiotherapy. I'm not back at work yet and don't think I could manage a day let alone a week x

Highlighted

Hi Debbie,

I had 25 doses of rads and they say the dosage builds up in you over time and it will be about six weeks after your last dose that it starts to subside. I worked through it all but was then exhausted and ended up taking 4 weeks off sick to recover,so, no, you are not pathetic!! Sorry to say this but i'm still feeling the effects 1 year on...but everyone is different. Take care. x