how long does it take to recover?????

Hi
I had mastectomy and lymph nodes removed at the end of September.
Still have some discomfort, under arm still numb, and still some swelling around the side and under arm - still finding it v uncomfortable to wear bra or anything tight around that area.
Was told it would take a long time to get better, BUT how long is a long time???
Anyone else having similar probs, or can anyone who’s further down the line offer any advice please.

Hi there I had my mx done in nov and recon at same time and still very uncomfy and sore to wear a bra; I think it depends on the individual and also what you do to limit the strain on the area. Xxx
hope it gets better soon
mary x

Hi there I had my mx done in nov and recon at same time and still very uncomfy and sore to wear a bra; I think it depends on the individual and also what you do to limit the strain on the area. Xxx
hope it gets better soon
mary x

I had my mx and clearance done in August and still feels weird…numb, sore and feels bloaty even though its not.

Hi Deeh. I had my mastectomy and Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy done the third week in September and I still get some soreness and tightness under my arm, which at times makes me feel as though I have some swelling, but I don’t, and that my bra is cutting into me. In the first few weeks I often only wore a bra for a few hours and I was glad to take that and my prosthesis off.
Your discomfort will eases, but it will take time and as mfdoll said, it all depends on the individual.
Kiz

hi
I had mine done nov 2011 and developed lymphodema my husband massaged my arm every night and my trunk as i now call it with e 45 lotion we also pitter pattered the tip of the fingers up and the arm and the numb area this stimulates the nearves ,I now have regained nearly all felling in the arm arm pit the side trunk and around the back of the back if you see what i mean ,and have improved the lymphodema so much that it hardly flares at all meaning i no longer wear my sleeve or glove , if ever i feel full bloated in the trunk i massage just in case it is the start of trunkal lympodema and this seems to work for me ,its worth a try .
lizzy
good luck
lizzy

Hello
I had the same problem, lots of pain/numbness etc after mx and SNB because of nerve damage. It did eventually settle down, but this did take some months (not weeks) and I had to ask several times for help and advice from the hospital - this involved pain medication, physiotherapy and some other help. I can wear a bra and prosthesis for work, but don’t bother with it at home, as it is just too irritating under my arm. I do hope you find it settles down, but in my experience it was a very gradual process over quite a long period. I was very anxious to get fitted for a bra, and have a couple of very expensive mastectomy bras which were painful disasters. Eventually I was sorted out by a nice fitter at John Lewis and have stuck to the same simple style since. I think bra comfort is a very individual thing. I also think the very gentle exercises (l think the lymphoedema exercises from one of the websites ?? Haven) helped. I never thought it would improve, and it was driving me crazy, but I can say that eventually it did. K x

1 Like

Hi there
Had Mx (no recon) and snb on 12/12/12. three nodes removed. Seroma almost gone, but scar from drain still sore and still have numbness/odd feelings under arm. Have tried wearing a bra and prosthesis, but leaflet in with prostheses advises NOT to wear it before rads are over and done with. So I don’t bother at moment. Tried bra with softie, but as others have said, bra cuts into under arm. So do tops with tight sleeves, so I wear tops one size too large, or very loose one. Everyone is different, but as others said, months rather than weeks. pg xx