Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long is quick

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted

Re: how long is quick

Hi
Well results are in. What a shock, cancer in 3 areas one being 1"in size, 2 near original site and one behind nipple. Nobody felt a lump in my breast nothing on the mamo, I'm just so glad my surgeon acted on instinct, what a star she is.Waiting for an appointment to see onc now, but it seems no chemo for now. Think champagne is in order.

Best wishes to all
Ann

Highlighted

good idea Ann,it would be easy to do too ,just use my phone camera.I must ask my kids how to download photos then if my phone dies on me I won't lose them.Thanks for your input,it really helps.We have a breast cancer support group but because of my kids schedule I am not free when they meet,so I love this website.

Highlighted

Hi again
As your doc probably sees hundreds of patients before he sees you again, would a photograph be a possibility.
What a lovely place to live.
Sorry to keep coming up with these ideas, but off sick at moment from op,although I feel well, have no energy so am spending too much thinking how to solve probems lol
Best wishes
Ann

Highlighted

thanks Ann for your reply,you made a good point,if it was a recurrence it would progress,not come and go.A friend also suggested that I keep going to the same surgeon for check ups (as I have been seeing different doctors each time in the hospital,)that way he will know what my scar looks like over time and recognise if anything is wrong.It means going private just for these check ups but I think its worth it (I am British living in Malaysia and the health system here is relatively good for cancer but is also quite overloaded.
good luck with your test results
Helen

Highlighted

Hi Laura
The fact that it appears and disappears must be good, I don't think recurrences disappear. You should for your own peace of mind insist on a biopsy. Have you checked for anything rubbing or catching on the area, if it is on the scar line could it be a bit of suture still in that area, although most sutures are dissolvable. Is underwear catching, is you prostheses fitting properly, are you allergic to the material used? Any other things you can think of, maybe make a diary of what happened when it started and when it seems to abate.
I understand exactly how you feel as i am waiting for results myself. You just have to get on as normal and keep positive thoughts in your head, easy to say I know, but try and do things to spoil yourself.
Best wishes
Ann

Highlighted

Hi Ann ,
thanks for your comments.I was a bit discouraged as I have felt so well recently ,the first time since this time last year really.So when I heard the word Biopsy I thought "here we go again !"I am concerned maybe the repeated inflammation may be caused by cancerous cells.I had a mastectomy ,which was already infected when the dressings were removed for the first time.I also have food allergies and if I accidentally eat anything with milk in it I get kind of boils in different parts of the body,so maybe the wound infection is related to that.
Since waiting a week the infection has died down so now there is very little left to show the doctor!!!Hopefully he will listen to the fact that this inflammation keeps coming back and agree to do a biopsy.
If he doesn't want to do a biopsy I will go to a private hospital to get a second opinion.The infection also triggered lymphoedema,only early stages and hopefully still reversible.A friend advised me that I have to be more demanding when dealing with the hospital!

Highlighted

Hi hlaura13
Sorry to hear you are having problems, did you have a mastectomy or wle.
I am sure you have read this thread so will not bore you with details, the biopsy I found was painless, and they told me straight away what they thought. The fact that you have early detection must be good news. Don't forget to ask for further tests i.e. ct scans bone scans, any scans, to put your mind at ease.
Best wishes
Ann

Highlighted

Hi I never thought I would be researching recurrence as I was so confident in the chemo and radiotherapy I had ,but just had a shock as a new doctor saw my scar for the first time and told me the appearance was worrying.My other doctors have seen it regularly but didn't suggest any further action needed.I got an emergency appointment in one week !!She said I need a biopsy,which no one else had suggested.I had my operation a year ago but keep getting infections in the wound.

Highlighted

hi ann so pleased you are feeling ok I was surprised at how good I felt, tired but good.In the old days they would of kept you in hospital for a fortnight, yes will let you know how I go with the stick on boob, manwhile have lotsof rest and dont do anything strenous, yes it was a shock after 18 years but just goes to show you can never be sure no matter how long you go and as you say at least we are still here so lets make the most of it.take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery love suzan x

Highlighted

Hi
well home already in 36hours. feel fine on paracetamols like you said suzan it is a lot easier than wle and lymph node.
Fitted with a softee, and off home. The bc nurse was talking about the stick on boobs and they sound rather interesting.
Will wait and see how you go on with the stick on ones. The nurse on the ward said she had been to a talk on them, and a lady showed how they fitted and put it on and took it off, she said it was very impressive. You can only try.
Must have been a shock after 18 years, but the way I look at life is 'at least I'm still here'.
Best wishes
Ann

Highlighted

hi ann, well basically its a prosthesis that sticks on your chest rather than putting it in a pocket in your bra that way you can wear ordinary bras, I have heard that it moves like a normal breast and some women even wear tops and dresses without a bra that are tight fitting, I am going to try it and see what its like, if you go to the amoena website you will see what I mean.Thinking of you tomorrow, I must admit I found the mastectomy easier than the lumpectomy from a pain point of view but had a seroma afterwards so that slowed down the healing process, just finished chemo it came back after 18 years what a buggar.So here we go again let us know how you get on and I think I found after the tiredness was the worst thing couldent go without a nap. listen to your body and take as much time as you need we are not machines and we all take different times to get well again best wishes love suzan x

Highlighted

Ann, I was told 4 to 6 weeks, or longer if your work is very physical. I went back after 5 weeks, though I still got tired and had to rest more (not as young as I was)

Highlighted

Hi all
Just had a phone call from staff health, she recons it will be 4 weeks before I go back to work, what time have you had off for a mastectomy, it doesn't sound very long to me??
Suzan what is the difference between a prosthesis and a stick on one?
Ann

Highlighted

good luck for thursday ann I am pleased you are looking so positive about the mastectomy and I hope you are well for xmas, pleased there will be no further treatment.I must admit there arent many things I cant wear now thinking about getting a stick on prosthesis, best wishes love suzan x

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for all your replies, well things certainly have speeded up considerable, just had a phone call today, booked in for mastgectomy on Thursday, luckily I went bra shopping yesterday and bought some post surgery bras, just been through waredrobe and got rid of all clothes which may not be anygood afterwards, no point stressing over what you had. Am now looking forward to op and then have a good christmas. I can see it now, drunken party and my fillet flying through the air lol. Thats what happened to my wig during chemo, there was only me at the party without it on lol.
Good luck to you all
Ann

Highlighted

Hi Ann,

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through the op after all you have been through all ready. I also could not have a recon, was 40 at diagnoses and thought it would be a big issue for me, but to be honest, it hasn't been, I guess we surprise ourselves sometimes. You sound like you are coping with the prospect as well. I must say I do threaten to throw my boob (D cup, heavy!!) at my OH if he bugs me too much 🙂 always raises a laugh between us!

Good to hear that your onc feels once the mast is done then it well and truly gone, I will keep my fingers crossed for you for an easy as possible procudure (and maybe a cancellation so you can get it done sooner)

Let is know how you get one.

Best wishes and hugs

Nikki

Highlighted

hi ann I know what you mean as I too had a reduction on the good side to match the breast after I had a lumpectomy and now I have a recurrence after 18 years in the same breast I have had a mastectomy, but as long as you are well thats all that matters good luck for the op hope you get it done as soon as possible love suzan x

Highlighted

Hi
Results are in, no cancer in lymph nodes removed higher up in axilla, the lump obviously was cancerous, taken a sample of breast tissue, which shoes there is cancer activity going on, so to cut a long story short, my best option is for a full mastectomy, which would mean no other treatment to follow. Booked in for 27th Nov, or any cancellation before then. Asked about recon, but under my circumstances would be best not done. So good and bad news, at least it isn't anywhere else, and my onc says once its out, its gone????? So looking forward to a future without anoying bumps. Feel ok about mastectomy. Only just had a reduction done on other side which is a bit of a b**ger. But more important things in life tho.
Ann

Highlighted

hi ann glad you are feeling ok and not in too much pain.Good luck for the results let us know how you get on best wishes love suzan x

Highlighted

Hi
well went in Friday in theatre for 4 hours, came out Monday still have drain in, can't believe how well I feel, arm not too painful, only on paracetamol, hope it continues. Surgeon said she had everything removed, all scar tissue from previous surgery and radiotherapy and that lump was contained in the scar tissue, and no need to remove ribs although it had stuck to the skin, results will be 5th November to see if any further treatment is required.

Ann

Highlighted

Hi Ann,

Good to hear they are finally pulling out the stops now and I wish you a good recovery!

Take care.

Highlighted

HI all
Just had a phone call am now in a total flap, I am now booked in for op on Friday 24th oct. Well we certainly are moving fast now, still not had repeat tests done yet.

Ann

Highlighted

Hi Ann

I really don't know how long your recovery will be, but just wanted to send you love and luck for the op.

Nikki xx

Highlighted

Hi
Just got back from seeing surgeon, apart from having to have all the tests done AGAIN, and the mri was not very good. I am booked in for op on 13th Nov. Having been explained to me this time it could involve muscle and rib removal, what was opinion after this long explanation, quite simple I WANT IT OUT!!! The surgeon replied that sounds like a definite yes then. So feel happy, the lump is contained in the axilla still, so she hopes that by doing another clearance and taking wider structures, which involves a plastic surgeon helping her, she hopes to get a disease free area. I no there is no long term guarantee, but for now that sounds great. Has anyone had this and how long was recovery. Last time I had a clearance it was followed by chemo, so don't really know when I recovered from the surgery.
Nikki, thanks for your reply, it never entered my head to get in touch with BC nurse, what a dumbo. Having spoken to her for some time this morning, any further problems will go through her. Thanks all, will keep watching the threads as usual.
Ann

Highlighted

I would be angry too.!! Hope you get it sorted out on Friday. Let us know love Eileen

Highlighted

Hi Ann

I am flabberghasted that are having to chase all this up yourself...Your oncologist should really know how you have been treated... Have you not been appointed a breast care nurse?

I know just how devastating a recurrence is to deal with, so my heart goes out you. Hoping Friday comes quick for you...

Love n hugs

Nikki

Highlighted

Hi
thanks for replying, unfortunately in jan., I had biopsies and the lump was found to be cancer, about the size of a plumb at the moment,
a lymph node left behind from the original (2001) cancer, which still has the ability to grow,
even though I had chemo, zolodex, tamoxifen, arimidex and now exemestane, also had ovaries removed to reduce oestrogen, but I am herceptin neg.
Can't understand what they are messing about at.

Ann

Highlighted

Hi Ann

How terribly frustrating...! I think we've all probably experienced the excrutiating waiting for one reason or another...I truly sympathise, they don't seem to grasp just how upsetting it is to befobbed off for whatever reason.

Have you had a biopsy or is the urgency from what they've seen in an ultrasound? Not sure if you are waiting for DX from MRI or referral to consultant to have lump removed?

Nikki x

Highlighted

how long is quick

I was seen in Jan with an enlarged lymph node (see below) given exemestane which lasted a few months, then lump came back.
19th September was sent for an urgent referral for an mri scan, for removal of lump if still contained, after phoning every day for 9 days eventually given an apptmt on Sun 5th October. rang last week for my appnt to see onc and surgeon, to be told by person answering phone that onc and secretary where on holiday and to ring back next week, when I asked if she could check the sheets, she told me "as I said I am only answering the phone, ring back next week" Then I contacted the breast clinic and asked if she knew, she very kindly told me I had an appointment today at 11.45
great. Just going in shower at 10.30, phone rang hospital very sorry but need to re-schedule, could I make it Friday instead. I don't know if I am over reacting, but does this happen to just me. From the onset in 1999 I have been told there is no cancer there, when do they start to take notice, am beginning to think i speak in a different language, so much for be aware for early detection.
Phoned private hospital (where I work) for a price with regarding having it removed privately. So I shall wait for Friday and if they say weeks will get it done and pay myself.

Really angry person at the mo

Ann