how long should i wait

hi everyone, am currently waiing for fna results which i had last friday and ultrasound reults which i had yesterday.i was told consultant would write to me but how long will that take?i know it’s only been a couple of days but i am not a patient person.also,if it is bad news will they tell me in the letter or ask me to come back and tell me face to face?i don’t want to read in a letter that i’ve got br east cancer after opening my bas bill. many thanks in advance for your advise

Hi there - Sorry that you are having tests, and we all know what an anxious time it is waiting for the results. Why not give the consultant’s secretary a call and just double check what the procedure/timing is for getting the results. I have never heard of anyone being told that they have breast cancer in a letter and I’m sure no one would be that insensitive. If there is anything that needs further investigation I am sure you will be asked to go back to see the Consultant. Good luck, and you will find lots of support here if you need it. Sarah.

hi everyone, called my breast clinic this morning and spoke to a nurse about my results.she told me she couldn’t give them to me cos she didn’t know whether my consultant had seen them,advised me to ring his secretary to find out more.secretary said she’d hadn’t got them back and to call again tomorrow so still none the wiser.why can’t they ring me?surely that makes more sense.

Hi Kwood,

It never fails to shock me how different the procedures in dealing with investigations, treatment DX etc is around the country. Here in Nottm you have a biopsy at the breast clinic on a Tuesday and you know the results Thursday.

I am not sure about smears though but I wouldn’t expect them to tell you by letter that you have cancer. You may get a letter to ask you to attend the clinic but don’t panic, it may not mean cancer it may mean there is something that needs treatment such as an abscess. I would imagine the only thing they would confirm by letter is that everything is clear and you do not need a follow appointment.

Its good to hear you are proactive in chasing things up, that’s always been my philosophy.

Good luck
Carol

Did I say smear, I meant FNA sorry Kwood