how long to start?

hi ladies - just a quick question please

How long did you have to wait to start your chemo? I was only diagnosed 8 days ago and see the oncologist on Monday. I’m desperate to get on with things! Unfortunately our local news reported this week that our big shiny new hospital is failing its targets with a wait of up to 60 days to start treatment. Just wondering what your experiences were?

Hi think it depends on your trea tment plan, as everyone is different some have chemo first some have surgery first so difficult to say.

for me it was, diagnosed feb, surgery march, chemo may to sept then rads started nov, 

it’ll soon get going dont worry.

deelush x x 

Flossie
I was diagnosed on October 9th and there has been a few delays and don’t have surgery until next Friday 28 Nov and start chemo after Xmas. I have been so worried about the delays and have been reassured by all the medics that even though I am grade 2/3 Triple negative, no breast cancers grow “that” quick that waiting a couple of months would change what’s happening and any outcome. You have plenty of time xx

thanks for your replies ladies - I know in the grand scheme of things my wait won’t be very long at all. I’m having chemo first and then surgery. I was really just interested in how long I can expect to wait xxx

Hi Flossie,

Everyone seems to be different not sure why but guess depends on individual circumstances. For me was all very quick. I was diagnosed 15th Oct, had mastectomy 20th Oct, results 5th Nov, Oncologist 2 weeks later and will be starting chemo on 2nd December. I hope you are able to get on with your treatment soon. Take Care.

Love Caroline x

Hi Flossie101

I was diagnosed in the middle of March and started chemo in the middle of April although I had a holiday before starting as it was already booked. I was prepared to cancel it but the oncologist said it would make no difference and do me good. My longest wait has been to start my radiotherapy it will be 78 days after surgery but that’s more because I had problems with my wound. It is hard waiting as you just want to get started and feel something is being done.

Good luck with your treament Flossie

SML x

Hi Flossie, I was diagnosed on 3rd Sept, mastecomy on 22nd Sept, first Chemo 31st October. I had an infection in between. 8x7cm tumour, plus 2cm tumour plus 26/27 lymph nodes - they said it’d been there a year before noticed. Now waiting for second chemo following another infection…I was told the first op/ treatment is not urgent, it tends to be done quickly for your mental health rather than physical need. Good luck x

thankyou for all your replies xx

I saw the oncologist on Monday, and today they dept phoned to say they had a cancellation, could I come at 10 tomorrow! So suddenly no more waiting, battlestations at the ready! Boss was a little put out but I did warn him I might get a phone call for this week. Dont think either of us really thought it would be that quick lol

Good luck to you all with your treatments xxx

Wow, good luck flossie! My boss wasn’t happy either, told him it was imminent expecting 2 weeks notice, then saw surgeon on the Friday might, op Monday morning haven’t been back to work since September 19th!

All the best fior surgery x