how quick does radiotherapy start

Hi ladies,
I am having a lumpectomy soon( no date yet as still have to have MRI, etc) and I was wondering how soon after teh op do people get to have their radiotheraphy. My consultant has already said I will have 3 weeks and I have holidays booked. I will ask him on Thursday but just wondered how soon it happened for others.

Sam

Sam,
the NICE Guidelines state that treatment should be started within 31 days of surgery.
jude

Hi Jude,

Sorry but what is NICE?

Sam

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. NICE guidance sets the standards for high quality healthcare and encourages healthy living. Their guidance can be used by the NHS, Local Authorities, employers, voluntary groups and anyone else involved in delivering care or promoting wellbeing.

guidance.nice.org.uk/

Poemsgalore xx

Thank you x

Hi Sam,
although the guidelines state 31days it also depends on how your wound is healing. Any problems and they will delay the start of rads, also there may be a delay if the radiotherapy dept is a very busy one. I had my WLE on Jan 21st, healed quickly with no probs but didn’t started rads until March 14th at St James Leeds - they are a large but very busy Institute of Oncology.
Best wishes for your treatment, hope everything goes well for you. Pat x

Thank you Pat.
I am hoping they will let me postpone it until after my holidays, hate the thought of having to cancel them. That sounds self indulgent but I look forward to my holidays so much after a year of working. I am also limited to when I can take holidays as I am a teacher.

Sam x

Hi Sam, I had WLE and SNB done last week I was told it would be 8 weeks after surgery that I would start Rad. Also some of the ladies that was in with me getting similar done was told the same thing 8weeks as well. Hopefully you can go and enjoy your holiday.

Doreen xx

Fingers crossed Doreen. I think having my holidays first will be good for my emotional well being. Sam x

Sam- I delayed my surgery by 2 weeks so I could go on my 40th birthday trip to NYC. BEST THING I COULD HAVE DONE!. So good for my mental health and ability to cope with everything since. So, ask- I bet they will be very understanding. And have a fabulous time.
Jackie.

Hi Sam
I had my WLE & SLB on Mch 5th Had my CT scan 16th April and rads started on the 23rd April so 6wks between op and rads. I think if you ask them they will delay it by 2wks seeing as its only rads you are having and not chemo. I wish you all the luck
Ann W xx

Thanks Ann and Jackie,

Not sure exactly what I am having yet as don’t get my date for op until Thursday. But fingers crossed its only Radiotherapy and they will delay it.

Sam x

Hi Sam I had my WLE & SNB on Mar 5th same as Ann but didn’t start rads until May 2nd as had haematoma complications after surgery. Wound took a long time to heal and needed 2 needle aspirations which all delayed rads. Now on 8 of 19 today. I am sure the hospital will work around your holiday. I am also in education so know how tricky it is with holidays.
Good luck with everything. x

I was told that radiotherapy normally starts about 7 weeks after surgery and that is exactly what happened. Everyone I have spoken to seems to have had a similar waiting time to start. Don’t worry about them they are not a problem, just a bit of a pain having to go 5 days a week but I am lucky in that the travel is an easy 15/20 minute each way car journey. Must be a lot worse for those who have long journeys.
If you are going on a sunshine holiday probably best before treatment as I was told, last week, by radiotherapist to keep all the treated area out of sun for this year. She suggested wearing high neck tops or a thin scarf to cover any exposed skin and in coming years to use a F50 sun cream. As she said it is when you are walking round or sitting outside having a coffee or drink that you need to remember as if you were sunbathing you would be ultra cautious.
Good luck