how to deal with hair loss

I have just had my 2nd cycle of chemotherapy. My hair started to fall out mid way through the 2nd week of my first cycle. I made the decision to shave my head so I wS in control. I dont want to wear a wig, its not for me. Im currently wearing bandanas however I would like to get my head shaved smooth by a barber and just leave it like that. Must I wait till the stubble falls our or can I go and get shaved. Any advice greatly appreciated and also care of my head afterwards, thank yo.

Hello mandes

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

You may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

My OH used clippers without the comb on the end. My scalp was quite sore when he did it, and the only ‘smooth’ bits were where my bald patches appeared. It wasn’t long before it all went and I had a smooth head.
All the best
PG xx

Hi Mandes,
I like you took control and shaved mine to a No 3 when it all started to fall out, after a week or so it all started to come out in the shower and I looked dreadful so I got my o/h to do a shave without the comb attached but tbh I never went all smooth and shiny like some ladies do I always seemed to have little tiny bits of hair, and once I finished fec and went onto tax my hair started to come back by the end of chemo I had a silky covering of hair very strange as I was told it was the tax that would make me lose it all, very weird, your hairdresser will do it if you ask and are ok about it, I didnt want it done in a salon so it was down to hubby but you may get a smoother better result if you get it done profesionally , good luck with whatever you decide and with your treatment too
Janice x

If your scalp gets sore after shaving it off, then aloe Vera gel is superb. Get it from health shop and keep it in the fridge. Really helped me.
i started the t part of Fec t this week and amazingly I have stubble on head. Too hot for wiggy. I also have some eyebrows and lots of eyelashes too. I have been quite lucky really but realise it may yet all go!

Hi Mandes, I cut mine off myself then got OH to do the tidy up bit. I also use aloe Vera oil to wash( taking skin care tips from oh was something I had never imagined!) but it is wonderful in this weather. I have never used my wig just scarves or natural , good luck x

Thanks for advice, I shaved and have some regrowth, not sure how it will end up. My head hurts to sleep on if there is any stubble. Just had my second cycle of fec, 1 more to go then t so I shall just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks again.