hrt or biht many years after early grade breast cancer.

Hello , my problem is I had a slow growing grade 1tubular carcinoma (pure) three years ago removed with very good margins …I now have terrible menopausal symptoms which are making living unbearable , insomnia total lack of energy etc…id love to try the safest hrt but I have been advised by my doctor that its not on !! I would rather try hrt to see if I feel a lot better and take the risk of a reocurrance …is anyone else having the same problem or anyone actually taken hrt after having had breast cancer ???

Hiya, I was diagnosed with Grade 1 Tubular last year and was told from the off that I would never be prescribed HRT in the future,  I’m still Pre menopause and taking Tamoxifen , I also take the anti depressant Venlafaxine which helps greatly with SE and a friend of mine has been put on it to help her through the menopause and she finds its really helping with the flushes, she won’t touch HRT now since I was diagnosed, I know you have to have some quality of life too so I guess it’s weighing up the pros and cons Xx Jo 

Hi jo …thanks for your reply …what was the receptor no 1-8?..also what size was your lump …mine was 9mm…I was 57 when lump was found…tubular carcinoma as nearly 100% survival rate especially when pure tubular as mine was …were you on hrt in the past .ami …just wondered what causes it …?

Jo, yes a shock indead …but don’t you worry you will be absolutely fine …they told me its the best type to have !!!..I actually found a lump in 2002 11 or 12 years earlier in exactly the same place …I got biopsies and they said it was just calcification …in 2010 I had a mamogramme and it showed nothing …just shows you that mammography dosent pick up a small lump …as this 9mm lump was around for about ten years I think …how did you find your lump ?..BTW …hrt is back in vogue and maybe causes 1 extra breast cancer in 1000 people …but of course its better to er on the side of caution …

Hi Insomniac,

When you were diagnosed, were you told your ER+ Alred score which indicates how ‘greedy’ your particular BC was for feeding off oestrogen? It is worth considering before taking HRT. I think most doctors would be very reluctant to prescribe HRT post BC if your ER+ score was high.

There was a thread on the same topic a month ago you might find interesting.

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Hormone-therapy/HRT-or-BIHT-after-early-grade/m-p/1005785#M25127

I took HRT for 12 years as I went into early menopause at 44 with horrendous symptoms. When diagnosed with BC, I had to stop HRT immediately. My Alred score was ER+8.
For the past 2.5 years my quality of life has been significantly affected by the awful side effects of Anastrozole. I would love to take HRT again to feel FANTASTIC. However, if I was unlucky enough to have a recurrence I would not be able to forgive myself if I had chosen to take HRT again knowing the added risks for me.
It is a very personal choice.

Good luck with whatever choices you make.

M x

Magical moon …Thanks for your reply …my er score was 4 …I actually wish I could end my life as I cant sleep at all and I have no energy even when my sleep improves a bit …I cant fill out forms concentrate or even carry out a conversation due to lack of sleep etc …I will see if theres any safe option for me x

Thanks mm for your lengthy reply …ill show it to my gp …ive tried everything to help me sleep like you !! Even sleeping tablets dont work at all or amytriptaline…I used citrizine on Saturday and I slept like a log but I took it on sunday and never slept at all …I took it for an allergy but I have taken it in the past for sleep and I remember it works the first night but not the next …my problem isnt just insomnia …its quality of sleep …ive terrible digestion and I think it effects my sleep big time…its the lack of muscle mass …sex drive thinning hair etc etc…and id love to take biht the supposed safer type just to see if it helps …Thanks again and best wishes , you x

Ps magical moon …the benefits of me taking tamoxifen for a grade 1 slow growing cancer of pure tubular carcinoma didnt show much statistical benefit …or radiotherapy …many people did agree best to keep that armory incase of a reocurrance …I hope I made the right decision !!

Thank you mm …I actually was drsgged to three radip therapy treatments out of the 15…I actually wanted an uplift op …which may not have been pos after rt …the uplift has been not very successful …so the best things in life are free …like sleep lol xx

Morning MM…yes your suggestion of a handsome prince to waken me up in the morning sounds fab…but I dont think anything but a great sleeper could share a bed with me tossing and turning lol …have a good day x