i'm struggling

I am 53 and have a daughter age 23.  I hade surgery in october and chemo started nov.  I thought i was invincible and would not get any side effects and be fine.  This was very wrong and i am struggling with the side effects and emotional strain.  I have had a tough year with a move and divorce and now cancer and i feel stretched to the limit of my coping and don’t know where to turn.  I have spoken to friends but very limited support their. How do you talk about the side effects and feelings without upsetting others? My daughter was suppose to look after me but has buckled under the pressure, not that i am hard work, so i look after her and me.  I have immune boosting injections after chemo for 5 days to keep on track. The e in FEC has damaged my veins and is painful, anyone else? I get cold sores and ulcers, now have mouthwash and cream.  Lost weight and lose appetite, feel weiry and tired. I have just moaned and feel bad for that.  Does anyone feel the same after 3 doses of chemo? 

Dear bisci

The simple answer is yes, quite a lot do. I am really sorry to hear you have had extra problems added to your cancer. My own side effects were oral thrush, constipation and painful haemorrhoids. I had to have 7 days of injections each time and still managed to end up in hospital twice. 

Do you belong to any of the monthly chemo threads? I am a February Valentine 2013, and this was no end of help to me as I had the effects of the other Vals to compare mine with. As well as the support and advice they gave me. Everyone finds out tips to help with SEs and pass them on to each other.

Don’t feel bad for moaning, you have a right to moan with what you are going through, and that is another good side to belonging to a group. We all have ‘moaning rights’ whilst undergoing chemo and others in the group will expect them, and also have their own moans. 

I think your daughter may have buckled under simply because to watch your mum going through this must be hard for any daughter. She may also have the worry that at some point in the future she may have to go through it herself. Fears are irrational, but very powerful nonetheless.

You are half way through now, it will sometimes get harder as the drugs accumulate in your system. Please come on here (if not joining a group) and share your problems with us. we’re all big girls and can take it. It’s what we’re here for.

Sending hugs and best wishes

poemsgalore xxx

Hi Bisci and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here please feel free to call our helpliners on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays and our team are here with practical and emotional support for you

You may find some of BCC’s other support servcies helpful too and here’s the information link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Here’s also a link to the ‘November newbies’ chemo thread where you can ‘meet’ up with others at a similar stage to you:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/November-Newbies-2013/td-p/782434

Take care

Lucy BCC

Take care

Lucy BCC

Hi Bisci, I’m on the November Newbies thread and also started chemo the end of November 2013. I’ve just finished FEC and like you this has been very hard on my veins, I have cording. I’m moving onto T on the 31st January which the chemo nurse said should be easier on the veins. Why don’t you join our group, we have a really good moan but also have a laugh. We also have a Facebook group where we put the world to rights. You’ll find us under going through treatment chemotherapy monthly threads November newbies 2013.

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/November-Newbies-2013/m-p/782434#U782434

Glad you’re feeling better it’s always good to talk to others who know how you feel

Take care and positive thinking

Tracy
XXX

Dear bisci
I too am struggling with the side effects so fully understand what you are going but having a good moan is a good antidote so keep it coming!! I’m on number 5 FEC now and like poemsgalore states it does get a little worse as treatments go on so do rest if you can when you feel the need, I’ve learnt but only just now !! to do what your body is telling you so if I need sometime with my feet up then so be it!! I wish you good luck and hope you feel better soon xx
EveL

Please join us in our monthly groups I’m in two October optimists and November newbies the support is amazing I have just had my 6th FEC last Friday but we are there to support all the way through and we will be all moving onto rads and hormone tablets so all the discussions around these will be extremely helpful hope to see you there soon to help support you on your journey xxx Tracy

Bosci great look forward to seeing you in my just go to monthly thread and Sam will send you all details of joining us on for xxx tracy

hey bisci,

we all know what this is like and believe me it does all fade away. share all you can on the newbies thread, you learn so much more on here. i went through 6 fec and 15 rads finishing april last year. it is doable, but just remember you must rest on the low immune week, and build up with manuka honey for your immune system. i was very lucky with se but had to do the tummy jabs, wincing every time, i didnt sleep well so did get sleeping tabs, very common so dont struggle.

good luck and i know you and the november newbies will become close online buddies, we’ve all been there. i was part of september sapphires!!

Anne xx