immune system one year on

My wbc and neutrophil counts were low throughout my chemo, which finished 11 months ago. I’ve had a few blood tests since and my wbc has remained low - last one was a few months ago - neuts 1.4 and wbc 2. Something. Gp and Onc aren’t worried about it. But if my immune system is nearly as low as it was during chemo, should I worry about having a flu? I’ve had a fever on and off for the last 3 days, coughing up yellow-Green-grey stuff. … I mean!, I can’t go to the gp about a flu - I guess I’m just frustrated and want to vent. I can’t feel normally ill.

Dear Sika

This sounds like something our helpline could help with.  Why not give them a ring  just to talk things over.  They can offer practical information and emotional support.  They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Sika,

Speak to your GP about this again. My immune system isn’t as good as it should be due to drugs for another condition and even though I’m not yet 65, I get a free flu jab every year. I’m surprised your GP didn’t suggest it anyway!! Certainly tell him/her about the stuff you are coughing up, you might have a chest infection.

Good luck,

Poemsgalore

Hi sika

I had similar problems during chemo also  and even had to inject myself on a daily basis to promote my bone marriow to produce blood cells. After two years I am just beginning to feel that my immune system is returning to normal.  Unfortunately I assumed that after the chemo, rads and surgery were over I  would just return to normal but it takes more time than I expected and I spent  a long time with chest infections and throat problems. I still keep feeling better each week and with more energy so I realise I am still improving. Perhaps we could do with more info on the long term side effects of the chemo

Hi Sika,

Have you considered taking anything to boost your immune system? Boots sell all kinds of different immunity boosters. I’ve been taking Immutone which is shark liver oil for the past month and am starting to feel much better/stronger. It’s also supposed to be good for arthritis and eczema which I also have and the eczema is a bit better but the arthritis is just the same.

X Yvonne