implant to good breast - revisional surgery

I had a mastectomy last December with an immediate implant. I am going to have revisional surgery on the good breast to achieve better symmetry. The op involves inserting a small implant which I have been told will be a fairly simple straightforward procedure. Has anyone had this done & if so did you have to have a drain afterwards. I coped really well with the mastectomy & was back @ work after 3 weeks. I absolutely hated the drain though which had to stay in for 2 weeks. Thanks. Sonia

Hi Sonia C,

Thanks for sharing your story and I’m sure other users will be along soon to share their experiences with this operation.

In the meantime, you might find this information useful: breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment-breast-cancer/surgery/breast-1

Best wishes,

Bonita

Hi Sonia,

I had something similar back in 2010.  I had an LD flap, but for various reasons the implant wasn’t put in at the time of the main surgery.  I went back six months later and had two implants put in - one in the reconstruction and a smaller one in my good side for symmetry.  I don’t remember having drains in.  Could be just my memory, never been good since chemo, but I distinctly remember the drains after my mastectomy and the main reconstructive surgery, but no memories of drains after the implant surgery.  I had the operation on a Friday, I had the next week off work, the Monday after that was a bank holiday, and I was back at work on the Tuedsay.  

Hi Sonia…I had a symmetry op in Feb. I didn’t have any drains during or after the op. I had two weeks off work and then just mild pain for about 6 weeks. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions  I’ll help if I can…xx

Thank you ladies for your comments, much appreciated. The surgeon seems really keen to go ahead with the op & has advised that I will be pleased with the results. It is strange though as when you have to have surgery for BC you obviously just go ahead with it but when it comes to this which is purely cosmetic you keep questioning how necessary the whole thing is. Can I ask Poppy whether you had an implant during your symmetry op? S xx

Thank you Poppy. I am now full steam ahead with having the implant. You are so right about the importance of feeling good about yourself & I am looking forward to buying some pretty bras when everything is done.
I also have those gel implants which are pretty good but not quite the real thing! Thanks again. Sonia x