infected scar

Hi I finished my radiotherapy 17 days ago but in the last 3 days around my scartissue as become infected itis a very hard lump red and throbbingi’ve been to Drs today gave me antibiotics ,should i just take these or should i go back to hospital

Hi, This happened to me as well,I had chest wall rads. I took the antibiotics from dr and returned later that week to see if they were working in my case they did not and also to have dressings changed,so had intravenous antibiotics.
It may take 48 hrs before you see a response, I did have a follow up appoint during this time with the radiotherapy dept and they were happy with gp’s treatment.
I hope they work for you.

Hi there jo

It might be a good idea to give your medical team a call if you are at all concerned. They will be able to advise on the best course of treatment.

Kind regards.

Louise
Facilitator

Thank you i was told by Dr if it got worse to go straight back but did say it would take 48 hrs to start working so will give it ago first.did phone BCN told me to go to Drs so will see how it goes.just wondered if i was doing right thing

Hi been taking antibiotics 4 days now not so much pain but the lump is still rock hard

My mx scar has become infected - despite me taking the best precautions I could. After the mx I was given physio exercises to do and it said after 3 weeks to start massaging for 10 minutes twice a day. If I did any, even light massage, the scar ‘split’ and began bleeding. I rang the physio at the hospital and left a message and after 5 days they finally called back and said I should keep massaging but do it quite lightly. I did but the scar carried on bleeding. Yesterday it was all hard (like Jo1950) so I rang the BCN, who told me to go to my doctor. He was v nice and gave me penicillin. The BCN made me feel like I was making a fuss and wasting their time.