cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

info on removal of ovaries

6 REPLIES 6
Lynni

Re: info on removal of ovaries

Sorry Karen, unable to help with this, hopefully someone will come along soon who can. If you don't get a reply, start a new thread.

Take care xxx

Lezignac2

Hi there, just jumped on this thread in the hope someone can answer me some questions.
I've just seen the surgeon and Im booked in for an op on 10th to remove the left ovary, laporoscopy. However, I've had one of these
and it went wrong so have told him this. He is going to go and have a look with a camera, if its save!? he is going to remove the ovary and if not he's going to open me up. After which I am assuming they test it, if it's "bad" he says he will have to open me up again, remove the other one and other things....lymph nodes in my stomach/chest.

Anyone had this? The tumour on my left ovary is small and he thinks this is a good sign.

Very worried.

Thanks
Karen

Lynni

I think Tamoxifen can be prescribed both pre and post menopausal, but not sure. The ovary thing was mentioned quite early on as next stage of treatment along with the aromatase inhibitors. I was 44 when ovaries removed and had been on Tamoxifen for a year. I know my onc did say they didn't want to exhaust all my options early on and I had a good response to Tamoxifen. I've secondaries and just realised I'm not on secondary thread, so my situation is different to yours. Before they found my secondaries I can remember surgeon advising me I would be prescribed Tamoxifen for 5 years but ovary removal wasn't mentioned. Maybe ask your bcn about it she maybe able to advise more.

Take care x

smiler11

Hi Lynni, thanks for your reply. I'm on tamoxifen eventhough a blood test showed I'm post menapausal. Onc thought cos of my age (44)and that I'd just had one hormone test he'd put me on tamoxifen for 2 years then change for another 3 years, but nothing mentioned about ovaries.
Smiler
x

Lynni

Hi Smiler

I presume your onc will be prescribing hormone therapy now. If you are pre-menopausal its usually tamoxifen. They prescibe aromatase inhibitors eg femara if you are post. I was originally on Tamoxifen but when found to be not as effective a year later my ovaries were removed and I was changed to Femara. Onc was going to "switch off" ovaries with blast of radiotherapy but found out I was BRCA2 carrier so removal was advised.

Sorry don't know if this helps, but will check again tomorrow if you've any further questions.

Take care

Sam_BCC

Hi Smiler

Whilst you wait for the other forum users to reply with their experience and advice you may find it helpful to read the BCC publication called 'ovarian ablation and suppression'. This may answer some of the questions you have and can be found by going to the following link:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/conPublication.85

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

smiler11

info on removal of ovaries

Hi, I've finished chemo and rads for hormonal bc and wondering if I should be asking my onc about removing ovaries, he hasn't mentioned it at all and I'm wondering if it would be to my advantage to have this done?
Thanks in advance for any info
Smiler
x