invasive ductal breast cancer

Last Tuesday I was diagnosed with invasive ductal breast cancer grade 3. I think I knew deep down that this just was not just a fibroadenoma which I had previously 5 years before as this time the lump did not hurt. I am now currently waiting to have a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. My operation is in 3 weeks time. I am obviously rather nervous about the operation and all that follows but am trying my hardest to stay positive for my husband and children. My consultant was very calming and said that there are so many treatments available now.

Hi claire10

Welcome to the forums, where I am sure that you will receive lots of support and information from your fellow forum members. I am posting to let you know that Breast Cancer Care have published a Resource Pack, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline: breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514 You may find our helpline useful to call during this time, they can talk to you about our other support services and also offer support, information and a ‘listening ear’. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm. I hope you find this helpful.

Best Wishes
Katie

Hi Claire,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I also have Invasive Ductal Carcemona - Grade 3. I had my chemo first followed by a mastectomy and radiotherapy - I am due to start Herceptin soon. I have to be honest and tell you that the chemo was the worse part so far, but as lots of other ladies on here will agree, is completely do-able. The surgery was not too bad at all and the radiotherapy a doddle!!

It’s good that you are being positive and you know that if you have any problems, or want to let off some steam we’re all here for you.

Good luck and let us know how you’re getting on.

Tracy xxx

Sorry to hear fo your dx. I had WLE with node sampling in Jan, HER2 negative so no chemo and am now 21/30 of rads. I’ve got a very red boob and my arm is sore due to them blasting my armpit but I’m remarkably healthy and am still going to work every day and hospital every afternoon.

Whatever your treatment plan turns out to be you will get through it your own way. Try to save positive but if and when you hit a flaky moment feel free to scream, shout and swear as you wish … you are allowed!

Hi Claire

I was dx with Invasive ductal carcinoma last Nov - Grade 3. Had mastectomy and full node clearance, followed by chemo, rads, chemo & herceptin. I am currently on the second lot of chemo and would have to agree with Tracey - the chemo is by far the worst part, the rads by far the easiest so far. the op itself was much easier to cope with than I had imagined and caused nothing more than ‘slight discomfort’ for a few weeks.

It is only natural that you are nervous - I was a quivering wreck before my op - thankfully I found this forum and got a shed load of sound advice from all the lovely people on here. As Lilac says above - feel free to come on here and ask any question you may have - even if it seems silly (and believe me I asked some really silly ones in the beginning lol) - I now know that there is no such thing as a silly question if something is worrying you- someone on here will always have an answer for you.

Sometimes it’s just the listening ear you need - no matter how good family/relatives/friends are - unless they have ‘been there, done that’ they will never truly understand your fears and concerns.

I hope everything goes ok for you - please let us know how you get on

take care

margaret x

Dear all

Many thanks for all your kind wishes and support. It feels much better to have contact with others that have ‘been there’.

I am rather frightened by the fact that my cancer is Grade 3 and cant wait until my operation is here and it is taken away. Saying that though I know that I will probably be a wreck on the day of the operation.

Thanks to all for your support.

Claire x

Hello Claire

Thet waiting is the hardest thing isn’t it?

I too have Grade 3 IDC, the op was very straightforward, just make sure you do the exercises as they really help. I am in the middle of chemo at the moment, yes there are some dark days but I am determined to kick this in the *ss!

Good luck with your treatment, get all the support you can, both in person and on this forum

Louise x

I am finding the wait until my op very difficult. I have now managed 2 weeks of waiting and am counting down now. Only 2 more weeks to go! Had a really bad day Monday and I dont want to go back there! I am alot brighter and feel stronger again now. Even had my hair cut short yesterday and I rather like my new style. I have my pre-op assessment next week and then the following week it will be my op. Just want to get it done with now. My husband has been busy outside extending our lean-to on the side of our house. He is making me a gym in there for after my op so that I can get some exercise. I think he feels rather helpless and does not know what to do.

I have been reading lots of the advice on here and found this really useful. I have my bags packed now with the correct nightwear! It hadnt crossed my mind that I would need things with buttons up the front until I read it on here and I had previously packed things that go over my head. There is nothing like the advice of those who have been through it.

Thanks.

Claire x

HI Claire

I think I have wat you have Grade 3, I am having my op on May 2nd each day is getting better although over the weekend it was terrible we could think of nothing else and it didn’t feel like we ever would, but unbelievably it is getting better. I will of course be a total wreck next friday going for my pre-op on Friday I don’t want to know all the details I just want to get rid of it. I feel a lot calmer now tho. We too have got the builders in and are having a conservatory built but they keep me busy making tea so not all bad. I too have been thinking about the whole hair thing and am going to get mine cut short after the op I think it will be a few weeks until I start chemo anyway. How old are you Claire. I am 44. My sister went for her mamogramme today I think this has really shook her up she is a year older than me but I bullied her into.

Try not to worry, Hark at me!!!

Love Deb x

Hi Deb

Thanks for your kind words. You put into words exactly how I am feeling. I seem to manage fine in the week until the weekend when my family are at home and it seems to hit me more and this Monday I was absolutely terrible. Makes me realise how much I took for granted before. I am 40. I too have a sister and she is 44. I have been trying to talk her into going and getting checked out but she is not having any of it at the moment but I will continue nagging. Hope your sister is ok.

I will be thinking of you on on the 2nd. You will have to let me know how the pre-op goes on Friday. Dont think the pre-op assessment sounds too bad - well thats the way I am looking at it! Sometimes it is best not to know all the details. Are you having mastectomy or lumpectomy like me?

It is the best time of year for a conservatory to be built. Bet you cant wait for it to be finished as it is really sunny here today. You will be able to sit in there and relax after you operation.

Take care

Love Claire x

Hi ladies
I had my op last week and was alaso in a state beforehand The pre- op is just lots of questions, had an ecg and water sample.
Since my op I have felt a great sense of relief in a way that this horrible thing has been taken out of my body.I feel much more positve and upbeat,
Good luck

Mary
x

Thanks Mary for your message. We wont be worrying any more about the pre-op.

Glad to hear that you feel much better now that the operation is out of the way. I cant wait until mine is over and I am ticking the days off on my calendar.

Take care

Claire

HI all

Me too I should imagine you feel an enormous sense of relief. But I think i need this time to come to terms with everything going out for a nice romantic meal tonight I am only just getting my appitite back its amazing but it does actually get better. Its been a week since I was told and I thought I would always feel how I did then total dispair.
But I have to say a huge thankyou to everyone here knowing that the feeling you get at times sometimes really bad are perfectly normal (whatever that is)

take care all

Deb x

Dear all

I think we have all been on a rollercoaster. Its great to have contact with others going through exactly the same thing. I did try and join a support group locally but it is in its initial stages and is not up and running yet so I am finding this forum excellent. It keeps me going knowing that I am not alone. I have been a lot better the past few days. I know that my op is only 13 days away now! Wow

Deb - hope you have a great night out. We are also planning a meal out next Weds as it is our 20th Wed Anniversary! Great timing. My hubbie said that he is taking me the Jewellery Quarter in Birm on Sat. as he is buying me something special. I will be thinking of you when you have your pre-op tomorrow.

I think people think that I am flipped my lid as I have emptied the contents of my jewellery box and I am wearing dangly earrings, glitzy jewellery, etc. I never normally wear a lot of jewellery but I am making the most of my new hair do. I absolutely love it short. I realise now that my hair needed a good cut anyway as I swim a lot and it had become dry at the back. I think I look younger with it short. Well I am enjoying myself while I still feel well enough. My daughter is off school today as the teachers are on strike and we are going shopping to look at dresses for a wedding we are going to in the Summer. I thought it might be a good time to get this out of the way as feeling sick in a posh dress shop isnt ideal!

Hope you are all ok.

Take care

Claire x

Hi claire

I also have the same as you but had op done on the 1st a bit painful but nothing to cry about.
just make sure you have pain killers in the house.

i was informed on monday that i have got to have chemo and rads now as 5 of the lymps have pre cancer cells. This is the part i am not looking forward to but ha lets not let nothing stand in our ways.

Keep thing positive and keep your chin up.

love

liz xxxxxxxx

Hi Claire,

I had same dx in July last year, 16mm grade 3 invasive ductal, i had chemo first 4EC and 4 Tax ( hard but do-able) lump shrunk to 5mm and I had lumpectomy like you, was not good margin one side, so following that I had 2nd op further margin taken which came back clear and all lymph nodes cleared and only one showed slight cancerous signs, which all good news. I am healing from ops at moment abit sore then on to 6 weeks of rads. Tamoxifen for 5 years after that.
Cant believe it will a year in few months, they said about a year in all.
Will be here for you whenever or whatever you want to know or ask, this site has helped me so much

Try and relax and be kind to yourself over next couple of weeks

Take care
Dawn X

Hi all

Thanks for your thoughts.

Liz - I will definately buy some pain killers in readiness. Thanks for that tip I hadnt thought of that. Hope things go ok with your chemo and rads. I’ll be thinking of you.

Dawn - The breast nurse warned me about if they dont get a good margin and explained that I will need further surgery if that happens. Just hope my surgeon cuts a good chunk out as I do not mind what I look like afterwards! Just want it out horrid *** thing. Mine is 22mm and it feels like its growing but my nurse has assured me that it is just bruising after the biopsy so I feel better about that now. Sounds like you have been on a long journey. Take care.

I went with my daughter this afternoon and she tried on lots of lovely dresses for the wedding we are going to. It kept me sane today. Didnt buy anything as she is so thin nothing would fit. I wish I could say the same about my figure. I am not buying anything yet as I do not know how fat/thin I will be in a few months time. Will wait and see.

Take care
Claire x

Hi Claire,
I kept touching lump and thinking mine was growing too I think it is psychological, cos I had to go for second scan about 4 or 5 weeks after first one and it was exactly the same…

I understand where you coming from cos I said the same to my breast surgeon , look it has shrunk to 5mm cant you just take big lump cos I dont mind a hole just get rid of it!
Anyway it now gone and I am moving on,

I cant advise on clothes situation sorry, I have been eating healthily yet gained alot since having chemos prob steroids and not being able to exercise, but some people lose weight, it all depends, but I not beating myself up over it, when I feel abit stronger I will go back to gym, walking and swimming, ill get rid of excess, oh dear but then Tamoxifen often makes people gain weight, ill have to wait and see,but at the end of day I’d rather be cancer free and able to get on with the rest of my life than worry about a bit of excess weight.

I have 2 daughters good to go shopping and look even if not buying isnt it. When is the wedding, will you be over surgery or is it later in year.
Take care
Dawn X

Hi Dawn

Thanks for your advice. I have been a lot better as it has been a busy few days and I havent had time to think! I am still counting down the days - only just over a week to go. Cant believe how long women have had to wait for operations, etc. Quite an eye opener. I feel quite angry about it sometimes. Would men accept this?

The wedding we are going to is in August and I am keeping myself busy by shopping in readiness. Still havent bought anything but looking is good and occupies me. My surgery is on the 7th May so depending on what happens I might be ok by the wedding. Its one of my best friends daughter’s wedding who is a nurse. We all worked together at the hospital where I am having my surgery so I will be in good understanding company. They wont mind what I look like. I am leaving off buying anything. My consultant has said that I will go on Tamoxifen. Dont care if it makes me larger than I already am. It will be my best friend if it keeps me going.

How old are your daughters?

Take care
Claire x

hi claire

Hope you are keeping your chin up.

Went to hospital on monday for ct scan then saw doctor on wednesday to be told of how much chemo and rads is required.

well 6 courses of chemo over 18wks then 5wks of rads, got to go and see the nurses next tuesday then will star next week.

This is good for me as it is my mums 80th next thursday and my sister and i are taking her got.

well had better get on got loads to do.

thinking about you

love

liz xxxxxxxxx