is it normal to feel down?

Hi, I had surgery on the 8th december to remove a possible phyllodes tumour. The whole experience happened in a whirlwind and from seeing the breast nurse I was in surgery within a couple of weeks. Initially after surgery I was very emotional and found it hard to deal with and this lasted about a week. I am now 5 weeks post op and although relieved that the tumour was benign I feel very down and emotional again. Has anyone else experienced this as I dont understand why I feel like this. I would love to hear from someone in a similar position.

Thank You x

Hi Janey,
As you say, you have just been through a whirlwind and now you probably feel high and dry and a bit abandoned. I epxect your brain is only now finding space to process it all. Plus quite possibly you feel guilty to feel like this because ‘what if’ it had been cancer and ‘how dare I be like this when others have cancer’.

I think you have to be kind to yourself - five weeks is not long at all since surgery and your poor body is probably still recovering. Please don’t guilt-trip yourself (if you are) those of us with cancer would never want others to have it.

Maybe you could talk to someone on the helpline here or to your GP?

sending a hug

Hi Janey and welcome to the BCC forums

As RevCat has suggested, please feel free to call our helpline for further support on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Sat

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Janey,

As RevCat says you have gone through a lot over the last few weeks, you were worried anxious etc and have had an op. The results are fantastic!
Let your body and mind heal and don’t feel guilty! Emotions are hard to control when you have faced something so scary, so do talk to people, keep posting and take care xx

Thanks for all the replies, its nice to know there are people out there who understand. I feel really bad because there are so many people going through so much more than I have had to deal with. I have lumps on the other breast that have never been investigated and I am worried that I will have to go through the same thing again. Since my op I have not been seen by anyone and I have had to ask for a follow up appointment, so I do feel quite alone at the moment. My husband has been amazing but I do feel a little let down by the doctors as I have so many questions.
Thank You again for your support.x

Janey, yes, it’s normal to feel down. If you’re still concerned about the lumps and bumps in the other one, at your follow-up appointment (well done for pushing for that) you might want to ask them to at least do an ultrasound on them, for your peace of mind.

Never mind the “other people have so much worse” thing, this is the worst YOU have had to deal with, so you’re entitled to have a wobble or two when you think about the whirlwind of treatment and the fear about what might have been.

As others have said, try to be kind to yourself. None of us whose tumours turned out not to be benign would want you to join us and we’re the ones cheering the loudest that it was indeed benign.

And the helpline is brilliant, give them a ring.

thank you, I think I will ring the helpline later you have all been really helpful and this is a fantastic site!