67289members
354945posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is tamoxifen and radiothetapy really necessary?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: is tamoxifen and radiothetapy really necessary?

Hello globalnomad. It's a real dilemna deciding what to have. As well as your onc about it, why not ring the BCC helpine - they talked me through various points and were extremely helpful as well as calm and reassuring.

I had radiotherapy with my previous bc and didn't find it too bad - I was 65 then, and I'm almost 70 now. I don't know what my treatment plan will be, I see my surgeon and bc nurse on Tuesday for that. If radiotherapy is suggested, I'll have it - not happily, it's not exaxctly a walk in the park, but I won't be too concerned about it although I'd much prefer just to be on the hormaone treatment over the next few years.

I agree with Kess, Tamoxifen isn't particularly cheap, just a proven drug for good results.

But we're all different, and maybe a chat to the helpline will help sort out yor thoughts, I made a pro and con list after speaking to someone from BCC - I hadn't thought about that, although it's something I've done for years about other things that need a lot of thinking through. Only you can take the final decision about what treatments you have.

Take care, GN, and be sure many on here will be thinking of you while you struggle with your thoughts and make decisions. Love, Jo x

Highlighted

Re: is tamoxifen and radiothetapy really necessary?

rads is usually comparatively easy and it does reduce the chance of cancer coming back. For tax its not that its cheap, its that its a drug that has been proven for most people with hormone positive cancer to make a difference. I think you need to ask your onc what the difference in prognosis is if you have the extra therapies. That will help you make your decision. If its (say) just a 2% improvement you may decide its not worth it. It is up to you but you could live another 20 years say if you stay cancer free, and this could be cut short if you do get a recurance (plus you might have to have further ops or chemo which would probably be worse than rads and tamoxifen now)!

Highlighted

is tamoxifen and radiothetapy really necessary?

Hi I have just had small lumpectomy and nodes all clear, lump out, all apparently fine apart from very deflated and ugly appearance of breast. Been put on tamoxifen, read side effects with horror and even MORE horror when I read these posts. Is this drug cheapest and that's why its used? radiotherapy is next and I now wonder at my age, 68, if there's any benefit to further misery? Wish I'd never had the op. I live alone, no support, friends disappear after the novelty wears off, and I dont have partner(he disappears into alcoholism when things are tough )no kids either, so I face everything alone. cancer grows slowly when yr older apparently, so was this nightmare worth it?