is this ironic?

Hi everyone
I’m new on here. Last month I had my hair shaved off for Tickled Pink. I managed to raise £1674 which I was very pleased with. Just as all the money was collected in I received a letter calling me for my 1st mammogram. I dutifully arrived at my appointment time and went through a strange procedure, difficult to describe but not embarrassing in the slightest. I didn’t find it painful at all except for the fact I bumped my elbow on the machine and that still hurts but that is just par for the course for me.
Yesterday I received another letter which I presumed was my all clear results only to find I’ve been recalled. Complete and utter devastation has hit me smack in the face. I cannot attend the appointment as I have a training session for progression in my career which I have worked years for. I have rescheduled for 30th August. I’m panicking, probably unnecessarily, but still panicking just the same. I’ve reassured my other half that all will be fine but deep down I cannot be sure.
Does anyone else think it’s ironic that only a month ago I had my hair shaved for such a worthy cause and now I’m subscribing to their forum for my own personal needs?
On the plus side, I know what I will look like if I have to have treatment and lose my hair, everyone says I suit it!
Seeking reassurance Helen x
L

Hi love.
Well first of all a big thank you for the fundraising that you have done. I know what you mean about it being ironic. Strange things do happen don’t they?
I’m sure that someone will be along to reassure you and offer you all the help and advice that you will need.
Once again a big hug and thank you :{{{ hug }}}
Sandra
xx

Hi Helen,
That irony won’t be lost on any of us I’m afraid. As an over 60, I have a bowel cancer screening test every two years. This years arrived while I was in the middle of chemo - irony again. I’ve also replied to your other post on here.
All the best
Poemsgalore xx

Hi Helen, I think we all panic when recalled from a routine mammogram. The fear of what it could be and what that could mean for you is off the scale. You will feel better once you know what you are dealing with even it is a cancer.

Dont be tempted to search all over the internet as there is some scarey stuff out there. Stick to this site and Macmillan, they are factual and supportive.

I was told I needed chemo, rads and hormone therapy after bilateral surgery so I had my hair cut off to prepare as my surgeon guaranteed that the chemo (FEC T) would result in hair loss, however when I discussed treatments with my consultant oncologist, we decided between us that chemo would have too many negative side effects for me so I refused the chemo, (no point cutting my hair off!)

Once you have all the scans and biopsies done, you will know what you are facing but you still have choices in your treatment plan, you know what is right for you and your body and information gives you the power to make informed choices.

Bear in mind, it could be good news, but it is natural to default to worst case scenario, to protect ourselves. It is a bumpy ride but there is a lot of support on this forum especially when you think you are going a bit mad (you are not by the way!)

Big hug and best wishes, Jan x

Hello Helen, just to try to reassure you. Recalls occur for a number of reasons, not only because they perhaps suspect something. My closest friend was recalled a few weeks before I was because they’d only managed to get a dodgy picture and needed to repeat it. My recall was not quite so straightforward - hence why I am here.

Try to keep in mind that 8 out of 10 (if I remember rightly) recalls do not result in a diagnosis of cancer. If yours does (and I really hope it doesn’t), then this is the place to be for information and support along the way.

Good luck, take care. Let us know how you get on.
Gill x

Hi Helen
Can I offer some reassurance? I have just been through a recall process with many mammos, u/s, mri, mri biopsy… and had the good news yesterday that though we have to jump through a few more hoops in order to dot the i’s and cross the t’s, it is not likely to be cancer. In fact, the consultant was insistent that there is no reason to worry. If I tell you where my thoughts went at the beginning… Panick and paranoia! I was reading up about mx and cancers. Got myself in a right state.
So, I guess I am still on this forum to reassure ladies who are in the same boat as I was - to hold up a light of hope. Good news still happens in spite of recall and tests. I am proof of it. I can’t offer you any guarantees but I can offer hope. :slight_smile:
X