Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jNew to radiotherapy

30 REPLIES 30
ladybowler
Community Champion

Re: jNew to radiotherapy

Fiona

Oh that is fab news.  I am sure that your rads team will keep a close eye on you during treatment, but if you are at all concerned make sure that you let them know.

I have heard of ladies using something called R1 R2 they are two different creams one I think is a moisturiser and the other is a cooling gel.  Your GP can prescribe them so might be worth booking an apt before you start as you need to use it on day 1 I believe.

Have a wonderful Christmas and look forward to hearing from you on the January thread.

Helena xxx

pecan

Good luck, Fiona.

Fiona2901

Hi Helena

Just a quick update.

Oncologist was pleased with both wounds so re-scanned and have a start date of 2 January for my 15 sessions so I'll be able to join the January radiotherapy thread.

Great early Christmas present for myself and my partner.  I just hope I don't get too many issues with the treatment after all the issues I have had with the wound and infections as I have very sensitive skin.

x Fiona

Fiona2901

Thanks Helena

Just getting a bit jittery about tomorrow as I've been there before.  We checked on the wounds last night and they both seem to be OK but we never saw the the last time as we were too busy checking the operation wound so who knows.  I just want to come away tomorrow with a plan in place as it just seems to be dragging on.  A friend of mine who got operated on at the beginning of July - two weeks before me - has had chemo and started radiotherapy on Monday of this week so just feel a bit jealous and fed up at the same time if you can be. 

I will update tomorrow eveing after my appointment and hopefully I might be able to join the January thread when it is up and running lol

x Fiona 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fiona

No wonder you are fed up but thankfully it does sound as if you are now finally able to move forward.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas and look forward to welcoming you on the monthly radiotherapy thread when you get your dates.

Helena xxx

Fiona2901

Hello Ladies

Just a quick update for you.  

Due to fat necrosis I've had two further operations since my post below - one in October and the other at the end of November as the wound from the October surgery didn't heal up.  The wound this time seems to healing OK at the moment and I am back at the Oncologist on Wednesday next week.  Following this appointment I will be having a CT re-scan as I will need new markers but I do hope that I will get a start date for treatment.   Just a little fed up with it all now as my original surgery was 19th July.

x Fiona

pecan

Oh, Fiona, I know how that feels.

Mine went from 7.5 to 4, and stayed there for a  month.  Ask about the Pico dressing, it speeds things up, but then they must stop packing, or it slows it down.  Mine has finally healed - last Monday they stopped the dressings altogether, and Wednesday I got the letter telling me to go to the Radiation Suite.  By that time it will be almost 14 weeks since surgery.  Worrying, isn't it?

And the daily packing is SOOOOO depressing.  I hope you heal soon!!!!! 

Cathy

Fiona2901

Hello Ladies

Wound still healing and currently 5.5cm deep so starting Radiotherapy is now on hold until the wound has healed. I have to have the wound packed and dressed every other day at GP’s and back to Dressings Clinic at the hospital on Monday next week for them to check on progress. A bit fed up at the moment but I just have to wait for the wound to heal.

X Fiona
pecan

Hi Fiona, you must be feeling so alone.  I hope it heals quickly.  Have you any idea what other treatment they want you to have?  I didn't want the radiotherapy, but the moment they said it might be too late, I decided I DO want it!  And my time is running out.  I do still have a hole, but it does seem to be close to closing, thanks to a new Tissue Viability Nurse, and another round of antibiotics.  Keep in touch.

Cathy

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fiona

Oh mate you have been through the wars, but fingers crossed now you will heal quickly and be able to move on to rads very soon xxxxx

charboyles

Jots of hugs Fiona, please keep your chin up and try to keep calm with pistive thoughts that Rads will start on the 8th Nov.

Love Peggyxxx

Fiona2901

Hi

Been back in the wars this week and Radiotherapy now delayed.  I had to have a further operation on Monday this week due to infection in breast.  Consultant seemed to think the tip of the flap had some necrotic tissue which then liquified and cause a pocket of infection.  I have a drain in and was back at clinic today for it to get shortened and bag changed.  Back on Monday for another check and drain/stitches won't be removed until drain bag is empty.  I've had a call from Oncologist and she will see me in Clinic on the afternoon of 8 November and if all OK I will start treatment the same afternoon.  I just hope once I have he drain removed and stitches out it heals quickly.

X Fiona 

pecan

Oh God.  Tamoxifen.  I am going to refuse the Letrozole this afternoon when I go.

Not sure what to say about the meltdown.  I haven't had a proper one yet, myself.  Just feel sorry for myself, particularly over the wound.  Did you feel better afterwards? 

Fiona2901

Hi Cathy

Just one area of the wound left to fully heal so fingers crossed I will be good to go on 18 October.  Feeling very emotional at the moment - had a bit of a melt down at work this morning and this is the first time this has happened to me.  I dind't even get that emotional when they I got the initial diagnosis so blaming it on the Tamoxifen lol!!!!!!!

Hope your wound gets better soon.

x Fiona

pecan

Oh dear.  I hope it clears up, Fiona.  Has the wound healed over completely now?

The infection in mine seems to have moved to the other side, now, but is still 4cms deep.  And smelly.

Fiona2901

Hi Cathy

Well, the news from today's appointment has positives and a negative.  My Oncologist had to pop in whilst I was having my planning appointment as there is an area of my left breast which is now hot and red.  This is nowhere near the wound but I would guess it was where the cancer was removed from.  I am now on antibiotics for 7 days so hopefully these will sort it out.  Planned start date for treatment is 18 October but I have to see my Oncologist beforehand for her to give the green light or not otherwise the start date will be delayed by a week.

Feeling a bit fed up tonight as I had a shower last night and didn't notice anything so was a bit alarmed today when they said something during my appointment.

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.......

Hope you are OK.

x Fiona

pecan

Hey, Fiona.  What's the news?

Cathy

Fiona2901

Hi Peggy

I have my planning appointment tomorrow so feeling a little apprehensive.  I was going to join the October Radiotherapy thread but until I know when my treatment will begin I'm not going to but hopefully I will know more tomorrow. 

Hope you are OK.

x Fiona

ladybowler
Community Champion

Peggy

Yay it wont be long before we are ringing the bells for you xxx  I will start an October thread soon

Helena xxx

charboyles

Hi All

Came back from my planning session, The  only problem I had was that my breathing was shallow,  but got there in the end. Tattoos markers no probsm, took 11/2 hrs as pre- warned by the oncologist. Start date the 9th-27th October, so luck for me,last week is helf term, so I will be off school.

Trying to be funny with the lovely staff, I asked if anybody had fell off the bed yet, she replied "No", so I said I will be your  first customer to do it. Another staging done.

Love Peggy

charboyles

Totaly agree with you. Not sure what nirmal is now!

Peggyxxx

LadyMondegreen

Hello 

I will join you on the October thread too (although I am starting next Wednesday at the end of Sept.)  I am not returning to work until after I finish radiotherapy - so I will go back at the end of October/beg Nov and will be put in touch with our Occupational Therapy people to discuss a phased return.  I have also signed up for a moving forward course for November - as you may know these are run by Breast Cancer Care.  Looking forward to getting back to (a new) normal.

L-M x

Fiona2901

I will do Peggy

x Fiona

ladybowler
Community Champion

Peggy

One step closer to the end of active treatment for you, wont be long before we will be ringing the bells for you my friend xx

charboyles

Hi Fiona, & Helena

Just got back from seeing, the big chief boss at my school, where I work. They were quite happy with everything that my GP outlined on my certificate, so everything in hand, but need a final meeting with my line mamager on Friday morning. Hope the alarm goes off! I thinj they are pleased that I am going back, even if its for the most important items of tea, sugar, coffee & ,milk. I do a lot of the orderin, all they had to do was a quick email to the corredct dept, not rocket science. So back to work on Friday.

Well the appointment for the planning session for radiotherapy is thorough for this Thursday morning, so another vital point of the next stage.

Fiona ;et me know  when you start your treatment, hopefully I can give you some support.

Helena you never fail in answering anybody questions and always offer valable advice, I don't know how yiou do it.

Love Peggyxxx

Fiona2901

Hello Ladies

I too am hoping to join the October thread as I have my planning appointment on 4 October so I will be a couple of weeks behind you Peggy as my wound isn't quite healed yet so keeping my fingers crossed.  I am back at work on reduced hours which is good so hopefully your HR Department will be as supportive as my Manager has been - just make sure you have plenty of flexibility in your plan as that makes things much easier.

x Fiona

ladybowler
Community Champion

Peggy

You will get there and to be honest you get half way and all of a sudden you are at the end of it.

I think you will find that you will be on the tablets for 5 years at least.  I am going to be on mine for 10 years, a miscommunication at my original onc apt where I believed it was 5 years, and i was concerned what would happen after the 5 years was up, when he told me it would be 10 years.  I hate taking tablets, struggle with the bp and hayfever tablets I take, but I just keep thinking to myself this little tablet is hopefully keeping me safe.

Have a lovely time with your grandaughter.

Always here for you

Helena xxx

charboyles

Thank you Helena & Anniej fot posting messages. I know it will be a long three weeks, but going to hang in there and make the best of everything. I also started my Anastrozole medication on Friday, not sure how long before side effects kick in, or how long I take it for and I forgot to ask.. I am not a tablet merchant, so perha[s his might tne hardest test. Since my ops, things that I usual likes to eat, have avoided them and I  have taken a fancy to other items, that it is not like me at all.

Looking after my three year old granddaughter today, whilst her Mum goes around the shops, couldn't be bothered trailing behind. My grandaughter also done 'Race for Life' at her local pre school on Friday, she was more pleased with her medal dangling around her neck.

Peggy

Anniej
Community Champion

Peggy, on the last bit of your journey now. Rads is very ok, just a lot of travelling and waiting around. Sending a big hug. 💪💐🍀

ladybowler
Community Champion

Peggy

Yay another step towards the end of active treatment and it will not be too long before we are ringing the bells for you as well mate, and I tell you what I will be so so happy to do it for you xxxx

Make sure you dont do overdo it at work you have been through so much

Helena xxxx

charboyles

jNew to radiotherapy

Hi All

Hopefully will join the October thread once it is started by Helena. Met with my oncologist this morning, so now waiting my planning session with the radiotherapy dept in the Oxfordshire area, which hopefully will be next week. So should be starting my treatment around about the 2nd-9th Octiber., not looking forward to it, but it's another step in the right direction and the end in sight, except for all he check ups etc.  Should be returning to work next  Friday on reduced hours, until approx 4-6 weeks when treatment finishes. Meeting with the HR team to support me in a smooth return policy into work.

Helena you have been fantastic in supporting all the  lovely ladies who have BC and hanging out the big pants  on the line and giving enciouragement, when the going gets tough, also ringing the bells when treatment ends. We coulfn't manage without you.

MASSIVE HUGE THANKS YOU WITH LOTS OF HUGS

Peggy