jacuzzi risk

Rosebud454
Hi ladies,
Thinking of joining a gym, but am wondering if it will be safe to use a jacuzzi.
I had mastectomy and lymph node clearance two years ago. I remeber a lady saying to me at a support group about a year ago that it wouldn’t be wise for me to use one. I never thought to ask her why at the time. The only thing I can think of is it might be because of lymphoedema? Do any of you know of a medical reason why some of us might not be advised to use the jacuzzi. Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Rosie x

Hi Rosie

You are right about the risk for lymphoedema - it’s the heat, not the bubbles, that’s the problem! (Apparently, heating the body increases the blood circulation and causes more fluid than to pass from blood capillaries into the tissues. This increases the swelling in an already lymphoedematous arm and can be the trigger for the start of lymphoedema in an ‘at risk’ arm).

The same goes for saunas, etc. I have heard however, that’s it’s possible to keep the ‘bad’ arm safely out of the water in some jacuzzis… has anyone else tried this?

I used a jacuzzi safely for 10 years without any side effects from lymphoedema. My lymphoedema came 11 years after initial treatment because the nurse used that arm to take my blood pressure.

I also used to use saunas without any detriment. Have you thought about asking advice on this from your bcn?

Rosebud454
Thanks for your comments ladies. I will definitely be having a word with my bc nurse now.
Best wishes,
Rosie