cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just been diagnosed with primary breast cancer

7 REPLIES 7

Re: just been diagnosed with primary breast cancer

Hi GW and welcome to the BCC forums
Along with the support you have found here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Here's a link to further support and information via the link to the BCC 'I am having treatment' area of the site which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Gw sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Its all very frighting when you r first told, I've read so many other story on hear that r worse than mine that it makes me feel guilty. I no every one is different gives me some sort of hope if that dosent sound to bad from me. Hope all goes well for u. The waiting bit is the hardess part for me. Not easy to do but try to stay positive. Suexxx

Hi,I was diagnosed last week following a routine mammogram . I have been told that I have a grade 2 ductal cancer. I am booked for surgery on the 11th for lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy. Then followed by three weeks radiotherapy . I go for the pre op assessment next week ,so from mammogram to surgery will be a month. I have certainly been given lots of info but I am scared and now feel ill with a really bad cold. It's nice to know that there are lots of us out there although sad at the same time.

Hello, Sue 456.  I just thought I would look at this section of the Forum, although my lumpectomy, full node dearance, chemo and rads for PBC is now nearly three years behind me.

When I read your post, it brought back memories of the very lonely place I found myself in after my initial diagnosis. Family and close friends are lovely, but really, non cancer people just do not 'get' the isolation and terror that you feel upon initial diagnosis, and vague pleasanteries such as 'you will be fine', although kindly meant, really do not help-  the floor has just been taken away from under you, and no one can truly understand how that feels.

My initial Biopsy for the teeny lump picked up by the breast screening programme, came back as inconclusive, and I understand that is quite normal when they are dealing with small areas of tissue.  I then had more in-depth tests which confirmed it was cancer, followed by a sentinel node biopsy, which showed that three out of ten nodes tested, were also cancerous, which had spread from my tiny DCIS lump.  I then had a lumpectomy, full node clearance, six cycles of chemo, then radiotherapy.  Thankfully, my MRI and bone scans were clear of any secondaries, but I understand it would have spread within six to twelve months, had it not been picked up so early.

The waiting for results is certainly the worst part, as you feel a lot more settled and less anxious once your treatment plan is in place, as most ladies on here will agree.

One the things I also found most difficult to come to terms with, was that I had assumed the medics would be able to tell me straight away exactly what type of cancer it is [mine was Oestrogen positive], the stage and grade etc. However, it is very much like reading a long novel, and the 'plot' is gradually made clear as you read through the story- it actually took eight weeks before I had the full picture, because they perform the tests and procedures in stages- once one procedure is complete, that then informs the Consultant as to what the next stage of treatment or surgery should be etc.

Do keep posting on this forum, as everyone is so kind and helpful- I am sure you will start to feel better once your treatment plan is in place, and things become clearer. All the best x

Hi macky, thank u 4 your reply means a lot to me haven't got many friends that I can talk to I'm Billy no mates lol. And not a confident person family r being great but don't seem to want to talk about it much. Maybe their way of dealing with it. Don't help because my 2 daughters dont get on with each other to the point they can't b in the same room as each other. Which is very stressful for me.I also have twin boys of 31 but they think it's a women thing and bottle it up. Hubby is not to bad. Just wish it was all over.xxx

Hello sue,

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

Sadly there are lots of other lovely ladies who are going throught this at the same time as you, and I'm sure they'll post on here to give you support.

This is the worst time, the time of tests and waiting for results, then waiting for surgery etc.

Listen to what the breast team are telling you and keep looking up 🙂

If you want some more information from them about your cancer and results - ring the breast cancer nurse, they don't mind people doing that and I've found are always accessible and quick to reply. Ask them any questions you want to, even if it seems silly - it isn't silly ifit helps you to alay your fears.

The BCC helpline is wonderful too - I've used it several times and always come of the phone with a more realsitic perspective.

This is a horrible thing you're going through, and 15 August will seem like an age away, try to do something nice for yourself each day til thn, no matter how small.

Hugs and smiles xxx

Hello Sue456

Welcome to the forums. 

As well as the support you will receive on the forums we also have a free helpline where you can talk things through with a member of staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

just been diagnosed with primary breast cancer

Got diagnosed with primary breast cancer 10 days ago, was a big shock for my family. I had built my self up for it I was 90% sure it was cancer. The consultant told me they would remove the lump and save the breast. They did a lymphnode biopsy which came back inconclusive. I'm very concerned with the results. Don't fully understand what that means. My family r very worried try to put them at ease but don't think it's working.I've been given a preliminary date for operation of 15th August and now I feel like I'm in limbo not sure how to express myself.Will love to hear from someone in simular circumstances.xxx