cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just diagnosed! grade 3, 37mm

43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted

Re: just diagnosed! grade 3, 37mm

lymph node biopsy was negative which is good, was only dodgy one they could see on ultrasound however only the sentinal node removal durin surgery can clarify i believe x
Highlighted
CK

Hi fairy
I'm sure you are feeling like we all are! Scared and devasted! All our situations are different but if I have any questions I write them down so can ask at appointment! The nurses are brilliant!

I've had a lumpectomy already, and now waiting for chemo to start, another op, radiotherapy and then tablets!

I'm 51 but still classed as young I guess and that's why we need the chemo to kill any cells that might be still there, then op to rid of pre cancerous cells and lymph nodes out and then radiotherapy to prevent it coming back.

You will understand it more as you go along although there is a lot to take in when you are emotionally drained too!

And this forum (which I only just joined 2 days ago) has helped as there are many ladies in similar circumstances who really do understand.xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

You will be fine I promise. Nobody was more scared than me but once you say to yourself "this is it and I can't change it" you just find the strength to face it. You have to because nobody is going to let you change it for say a broken leg or anything else.

The thing that freaked me out was not the chemo or the surgery (and the rads were easy compared to chemo) no what had me saying I can't do it was the needles to the belly!! The nurses said they show kids of 8 how to do it and in the end it was easy. They don't hurt at all because the needle is really fine - it was that I am no good with anything medical and you could never pay me enough to be a nurse. All I say is thank goodness some people like helping others.

Come on here a lot and we will help you through it all and join your monthly chemo thread for moral support. Now chin up and let's get on with it xxx

Highlighted

I feel the same! Every time I start to get my head round things, the next panic kicks in (I'm still panicking about my CT scan this weekend)... just try to take one step at a time... no point worrying about something you don't know to be true.

Huge hugs coming your way xxx
Highlighted

im really scared i wont respond to treatment and i dont know how to get myself out of this rut. ive got oncology thurs now to get chemo planned hopefully for next week and a heart scan the same day. thank you for all your support. just awaitin lymph node biopsy result now so another thing to panic about
Highlighted
Community Champion

Is HER2 bad? It used to be before Herceptin - now it is no worse than "ordinary" breast cancer. It is just a protein that tells the cancer to grow really fast and Herceptin kills off that protein.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Fairy, for her2+, there is now an effective targetted treatment, so outcomes are good now.
ann x
Highlighted

Is any of it good?  I don't know if HER2 is bad, I do understand it means it makes it a bit more aggressive.  Which is probably why they want you to have the chemo first, which stops the abnormal cells from multiplying so fast.

I am HER2 negative, so I haven't investigated it that much.  I just wanted you to know you'd been heard.  It really is worrying waiting.  Mine is the "common" type - I told the surgeon "I don't do common", but he just ignored me.

Cathy

Highlighted

is her2 bad?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes I used the cold cap and kept loads of hair. Just take a couple of pain killers 30 mins before because it can be a bit spiteful but worth it.

Also ask them to give you a PICC line - so worth it xxx

Highlighted

Yes mine is grade 3 unfortunately. And it is in 'multiple' lymph nodes (biopsy was done at the same time as biopsy of tumour). It is 24mm.

I'm freaking out completely and am having to take sleeping tablets at night just to be able to rest. I'm lucky I have a fab husband who is on hand.

This is a truly awful time isn't it?

Xxx
Highlighted

nik nik im also worried its spread waitin for biopsy results of lymph nodes but at least all other results are in and im lookin at startin chemo next week.. its horrible when the kids are so young.. i look at my 4 yr old daughter and just break down inside thinking whats gonna happen to me.. do u no what grade yours is
Highlighted
Community Champion

Do you have good family support Nic?
Highlighted
Community Champion

There is a thread re cold cap - seems to work well for some but not others .Look in chemotherapy section .Worth a try.
Highlighted

I can sympathise totally - my kids are 13, 8 and 16 months and I feel like the holidays so far have been a complete washout! The older 2 don't seem to mind as they are happy playing computer games and winding each other up with Nerf guns but it's hard work trying to stay 'up' for the littlest (he has no idea what is going on, obviously)... I'm hoping this will just be temporary. I am having chemo first followed by surgery and had a marker put in place last week. I am awaiting my CT scan (on Sunday) before they can start any treatment.

Xxx
Highlighted

yes it will have to be cancelled until after chemo so i have app with oncology thurs then start next week.. any opinions on the cold cap?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi fairy , it is so very unfair that you are having to deal with this at your age and with a young family but you will find a way to cope and the more information you get about exactly what's going to happen with help you so much I promise! The minute we get a cancer diagnosis we think it's game over but it really isn't like that with breast cancer, it is such a treatable disease.

You are going through all the normal emotions right now, fear and disbelief cos this happens to other people not you! But you will gain a strength you didn't know you had and you just cope because what is the choice otherwise.

They do get you on the treatment train quickly so dont be panicked by this it's totally normal, I had my op within 2 weeks of diagnosis, all of us here know just how your feeling right now and the over whelming anxiety your going through, I felt my life just stopped on that day of diagnosis and everything just seemed pointless but over two years on I've seen my son marry and am about to be a Nanna and life couldn't be better! 

I was 46 and felt far too young so I can just imagine how you feel but we've had younger ladies and even pregnant ladies here, it is quite unbelievable! 

Keep talking to us love always someone around to listen Xx Jo 

Highlighted
Community Champion

You will have some time to prepare don't panic ,you will get lots of support and advice here .
Highlighted
Community Champion

So surgery cancelled ?
Highlighted

i mean that its her2 positive and i have to have chemo first
Highlighted

i have had my her 2 results today so i now have to have chemo again, i feel like ive been punched in the stomach, i feel so sick and i just want all this to stop!! also had a core biopsy and markers today so feelin really sore. my kids are 13, 9 and 4.. just feel so bad i havent the strength in me to carry on as normal
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hopefully you will have all the pieces of the jigsaw soon and will know exactly what is happening and when .
Highlighted

Thank you.

I will be having chemo anyway - whether I am Her2 positive or not, so I guess it will either be included or not depending on my results.

Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I guess you could say it's both !!! It does mean you have to have chemotherapy as Herceptin is only given alongside chemo, the positive is that Herceptin is a very effective drug and HER2 ladies have good outcomes now .
Highlighted

Thank you Jill.

So it is a good (!!!) thing for the tumour to be Her2 positive or not? I can't work it out!

Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

HER2 is a kind of protein I think that may fuel cancer .It means you can take a drug called Herceptin which helps stop re-occurrence ,think you take it for about 15 months .
Highlighted

Also to add, I know mine is NOT responsive to hormones and I don't have the Her2 results back yet (not that I understand what that means at all!) xxx
Highlighted

Fairy, it sounds like we are in a similar position except I know that multiple lymph nodes ARE affected. I am waiting on a CT scan to see if any cells have settled anywhere else (and keeping absolutely everything crossed that they haven't).

I have been told chemo first, then surgery, then possibly radiotherapy. It is going to be a long battle!

My worry whilst I wait for all these appointments is that it is growing and/or spreading and that fills me with dread, but I have to trust that they know what they are doing.

Thinking of you and wishing you well xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Fairy,the waiting is so hard you just want to get on with it don't you !! Very hard to think about anything else or motivate yourself to do anything .How old are your kids ?
Highlighted

thank u...another biopsy of lymph node today and surgery booked for 16/08.. i need to start treatment now and start this long journey as at the moment its taking over my life and my thoughts.. the poor kids are having a rubbish summer hols as i physically cant drum up the enthusiasm to do much apart from feel sorry for myself
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Fairy,
Waiting for results is horrible, but the time scales for this does not make any difference in respect of progression. The important thing is that your results will inform your treatment plan, so that it's tailor made for you to get it dealt with.
take care
ann x
Highlighted

the plan has changed again. now awaitin her2 results b4 they decide chemo or surgery 1st. will it grow much in an extra week or two so scared
Highlighted

thank u all for the replies. i am seeing the oncologist tomorrow and they are hoping chemo will start next thursday, so fast which is scary.. but the quicker it starts the quicker this will all be over i suppose.. been a not so bad day today, yesterday i cried buckets.. not sure of lymph node yet i have to have another biospy as one looks a bit chunky xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi fairy, sorry to hear of your diagnosis and glad you have found our wonderful forum where you will get all the support you need. Firstly, don't confuse the grading with the staging. "Grade" 3 refers to the tumour complexity and density whist "Stage" refers to the tumour progression. From what you describe, you sound stage 1 which is early stages so you have excellent statistics moving forward from this.  It's hard to accept the diagnosis at first and it's all very scary with all of these new words which which you sudden day have to concern yourself with but it does get easier once your treatment plan kicks in. I'm 48 and was diagnosed at the end of March with Stage 2 locally advanced invasive BC ER+/PR+/HER2- including local lymph nodes. I'm on my 5th of 8 chemos of FEC/T, then I'll have surgery and rads and probably a hormone inhibitor. The chemo is going well and reducing the tumour ready for surgery.  

Once your treatment plan is confirmed join the monthly treatment thread on this forum to network with others going through the same at the same time. You can do this, just stay focussed and healthy. Hugs and best wishes to you as you start you journey. Xxx

Highlighted

I need chemo first, 8 cycles, and then surgery and radiotherapy. The doctor hopes it means less radical surgery in the end. Not what I'd imagined, so it threw me too. Still trying to get my head round it, but got so many appointments in the diary leading up to the first one maybe I won't have too much time to dwell on it. I agree that the treatments seem to be so individual, which must be a good thing? 

Highlighted

Fairy, I felt the same, I hadn't really heard of anyone having chemo first and then op but I was told it was partly to do with my age. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi fairy,
All of our treatment plans are tailor made for us & having chemo first is also quite usual & is the first step in giving you the best treatment for your diagnosis.
There are quite a few variations in treatment & it's no more or less standard that any of our treatment plans.
sending hugs
ann x
Highlighted

thank you all. pink i was originally told lumpectomy and chemo if not her2 but bcn have rung back today after meeting with the multi team and have decided on chemo 1st even if her2 negative which i dont feel is standard and has frightened me further

Hi Fairy, I'm 33 and was diagnosed at the end of May. Mine is also grade 3 and positive for ER, PR and HER2, originally 6-7cm but after three rounds of chemo they reckon it's about one inch. None of this seems fair but I hope you have a good support network around you. It can take a long time to sink in, even now I still can't believe it is happening but am staying positive and we all have good days and bad days.
Highlighted
Community Champion

hi Fairy,
I responded to your post on the other thread.
hugs
ann x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi fairy

So sorry that you find yourself here. There will be lots of ladies on here that will give you support and advice.

Do you have an appointment to see the consultant soon to advise you on your treatment plan? I remember feeling very confused myself , but then went on the recommendation of the consultant.

Sending a hug x

Highlighted

I've been thinking about you all morning. Sorry I can't be of any help; no knowledge of all this but I'd like to give you a big hug and assure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel

love and hugs xxxx

Highlighted

Hi fairy it is all scary I am having lumpectomy for 35 mm so I don't know if it depends on size maybe one of the ladies with more experience can advise x good luck for Monday xx
Highlighted

just diagnosed! grade 3, 37mm

i still dont understand it all myself but its grade 3 ductal type its hormone sensitive but still waitin for her2 test.. they lookin at lumpectomy and chemo and rads.. im still confused to what it all means, im thinking id prefer a m/x but dont think they be able to do that as quick as monday.. im 31 so very young, very unlucky and very scared