cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just diagnosed

22 REPLIES 22
Mand

Re: just diagnosed

Hi there, this is only my second post. I've been reading parts of the forum for the last week whilst I waited for my results. I had had a lump for a very long time and when I saw my consultant I thought he was just going to do a small examination and tell me it was nothing to worry about as I had convinced myself!

Suddenly, everything happened at once. An immediate mammogram. That was when I saw it and realised the worst. A big white mass on the monitor screen. Then I was whisked to another room for ultrasound. The room suddenly filled up with people. There was the mammogram nurse, a new doctor was called, the ultrasound nurse, a Macmillan nurse and then the consultant. All the time them saying don't worry!

The biopsy next and I remember the nurse saying I have to press down on your breast otherwise you'll get bruising. After about 5 mins of this pain I felt like saying I'd rather have bruising thanks! Lol

The week waiting for the results was the worst week of my life. To be told and confirm what I thought was mixed emotions - relief, dread and fear.

I am slowly coming to terms with it. The hardest thing is trying to remain strong and dealing with people who don't know what to do or say to me.

I know I am lucky. I have a lumpectomy on Thursday and a biopsy on the lymph nodes. If it has spread to the LN then I'll go back down to surgery that day to remove all the lymph nodes. I have told that story so many times over since I was diagnosed. I know it off by heart now! Lol

I do really think not having anyone that I can share how I feel with you all. Women that are just so so brave and amazing. That you can understand how I am feeling. Thank you all and especially to Ashby. Xxx
ashbymeadow

I do hope that you are now able to feel a little calmer.Know just how you were feeling .it does lessen and i can now share a laugh with people ,Me Diagnosed just 10 days ago.Op Thursday so hope you are getting a plan by now.
ashbymeadow

Hi

I do hope you are now feeling a little calmer .I too was in a state of shock when my bopsies confirmed the worse news.I panicked too and worried how i was going to come out the other side of this news.

Like others i try and break down the time and am now able to concentrate on other life issues other than my dilemna.

My op Thursday and know that will not be good to wake up to and face but am thinking Thursday that bit will be over then RD to follow.

I am only told the next appt at hospital and then when thats over the next plans.Fortunately my life can cope with all this but must be hard if children or a hectic life

Thinking of you and do hope your anxieties are less now after these few days.

ashbymeadow

I too have had pain and different areas too of pain.I am now thinking after reading your message it maybe the biopsies and scans have caused this.

Reassuring to read your message .Like everyone scared and dreading my op on Thursday but at least that hurdle then over..then the wait for more results

ashbymeadow

Hi well my op this Thursay and then Rad to follow.I believe different consultants have different ideas on treatment plans.

ashbymeadow

Hi

I received my biopsy results on the 13th Nov and my surgery is This Thursday too.Went for my pre ops today.

Entering the hospital fills me with dread.

Maybe we can chat till Thursday..support each other then catch up after our op day?

Lucy_BCC

Hi Mand and welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the valuable support you will find here please do feel free to call our helpline to talk through your queries and concerns on 0808 800 6000, our team are here to offer you emotional and practical support

You may find the following link to the BCC 'Just diagnosed' section where you will find lots of information and further support ideas including our 'One to one' support whereby you can be in touch with someone in a similar position via telephone or email:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/category/cancer-journey/just-diagnosed-primary-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Mand

This a message for ashby. I too was told biopsy results on Wednesday. Had my pre op assessment today and have surgery on Thursday. Our dates much up and it would be lovely to stay in touch. I haven't got anyone to be there for me and support me. I have two boys and it is painful and distressing seeing how they are coping and managing with this news. For me it is being and feeling so so alone. I haven't posted any comment since finding out and I do want to find someone I can confide in. Good luck to you and you and everyone else's posts I have read in the last week - you are all so amazing women and I really never expected that I would ever go through something like this. Mand xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I know how you feel, I am still trying to get my head round my diagnose which was last wednesday and all the procedures, I am starting chemo 26th Nov, then surgery and then Rad.  It all seems alittle bit unreal and I just want it all to start now, (despite the side effects).  My youngest is 14 so he understands but doesn't if that makes sense, so I know what you mean about your family.

My arm also felt numb and i found it difficult to sleep on my side but this soon disappeared,  just wish the panic would too.

The support from all the lovely people in this forum is invaluable.

Lethia

Rowan44

Hi Jayne

Sounds like you are in a similar situation to me , and we are at about the same stage . I have been having shooting pains in my breast and arm since the biopsies and aching in the arm pit , the breast care nurse said the nerves can be irritated due to mammogram and biopsies and it does seem to be settling down the last day or so . I think its natural to be more concerned about aches and pains you ordinarily wouldnt think twice about .

link to relaxation is here http://www.debbiewilliamsassociates.co.uk/free_download.htm I have found it useful it just takes about 25-30 mins and puts you in a calmer frame of mind  hope it helps .

she also does one on preparing for a surgical procedure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKPb9jt-GU

Keep strong and stay positive

We can get through this together

R xx

ashbymeadow

Hi

I too was diagnosed last Wednesday ...told after biopsies the previous week.At the first appt was told likely a cyst so this news felt like being hit head on by a bus.Never took in a thing being said at the consultation lucky i had someone with me to digest the news.I have a lumpectomy booked for this Thursday and removal of underarm glands.Tomorrow pre op appt.Also Tuesday have appt for councelling at the breast clinic.Am pinning a lot of hope on that.Do ask if thats available for you.It may help to off load

Tracy1967

Hi Jayne, the way you feel is totally normal, we've all been there. Please take on board what others are saying, things will get easier once you have a confirmed treatment plan. I was advised to break my treatments down and address / worry about each one as they occur and it's definitely working for me. I've got through the surgery ( 4 weeks on now) and start chemo on the 29th November. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about this as I am however I see this as once step closer to the end of treatment. Come this time next year it will all be over with and we'll all slowly start to move on with our lives - one step at a time. Good luck with your biopsy results. Kind regards Tracy XXX
Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you everyone your comments means so much to me, thank you.

Calm down is definately what i needed to hear, so thank you. I have loads of support from family and friends but it is hard to say to them how I feel as I can see the pain in their faces particularly my children (25, 21 and 15) who are trying to be brave.

Not sure how this forum works and if everyone who commented can see this but I feel a sense of relief that there are people i can talk too who I will not hurt by saying how I feel, can talk too. Feel free to tell me to get a grip as I am sure I will need some tough love too!

I was told last thursday I have breast cancer and I have to go back next thursday for the results from the biopsy, 2 from the lump 1 from my lymph glands. I have already been told mastectomy and chemo and perhaps other treatments. I think my fear is that if I didn't know it was in my breast is it in other places in my body. My arm feels numb (like I have slept on it) but I don't know if this is the biopsy or my muscles just reacting to the stress. Once I can control my thoughts I will be better for everyone concerned if that makes sense.

Thank you everyone, going now as the Kids have just come home. 🙂

Sam_BCC

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They're on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Joanne1973

Hi Jayne, firstly sending you a huge hug.  Honestly you will start to calm down soon and be in control again though it feels like the end of the world now.  Once you know your plan and treatment you will start to get a little normality back...just a little, not sure what normal is anymore! I hope you have supportive and caring people around you..we are also all here for you,we have all been there and know exactly how scared you are.  I'm a couple of months down the line now, had my surgery (and a bit more bonus surgery) and just waiting to here about when I start chemo.  Every step is a step closer to beating this,  a long road but we'll get there in the end. Day at a time sweetheart, or even hour at a time if that's easier.

Sending lots of love your way XxXX

Rowan44

Jayneh

I know exactly where you are as I am in the same boat , its very scarey finding you have breast cancer but I draw strength from the advice and support that is here on the forums and from my friends .

What treatment have they told you  you will have ? I was diagnosed on the 4th of November surgery planned for the 3rd , I have been up and down all week , good days and bad days but the good ones seem to be coming more often now !

try not to panic and take things hour by hour and day by day , it is treatable and the odds are in our favour

I have also found relaxation therapy very useful I can send you a link if you wish

R xxx

Betty80

Hi Jayneh,

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and I know how you feel.

Please listen to these ladies, especially what Kam80 said, she gave me advice when I first came on here.

Has your consultant told you any information yet, about your grade or hormones (ER PR HER2?).

Xxxx
maltomlin1

It will get better. Honestly. I'm over 5 years out and feeling fine.
xx
KAM80

Hi Jayneh,

I know it doesn't feel like it at the moment, but things will get better. They call it the "waiting room" when you are first diagnosed and I can honestly say it really is the worst time. You just feel in complete limbo - I personally just felt completely numb and like the floor had just opened up underneath me.

BUT, I can honestly say, it does get better. Once you have a treatment plan in place and it gets underway, you will begin to feel you're getting back a bit of control.

I couldn't get my head around it at the beginning - looking ahead at chemotherapy, surgery, radiotherapy - it all just seemed to surreal and like it wasn't happening to me. The best bit of advice I was given though was to break it down into day to day, bite size chunks. I know that sounds such a cliche, but it really did help me get off the starting block. To be honest, once treatment started, it flew by. I finished radiotherapy in June and am now back at work. It hasn't been a bed of roses, but it was easier to cope with than I ever imagined at the beginning.

I hope you get your treatment plan together soon and that you have friends/family around you to support you. This forum is a great source of information and a good place to ask any questions. Please feel free to ask me anything.

Take care, big hugs.

K xx
maltomlin1

You will be OK. Trust me. We all feel the same at the start.
mary32

Hi Jayneh

I am so sorry you have received this news. It is so hard to accept. Can you you tell me a bit about what has happened to you?

Mary

maltomlin1

Calm down. Yes, it's really scary but not the end of the world,. Get the facts. We've all been there and know how scary it is. Take one day at a time. The treatment is good and will serve you well.

I'm over 5 years out and life is good. It will serve you well.

Guest user
Not applicable

just diagnosed

scared so scared. i can't stop crying. can't sleep, eat, can't turn my head off. please someone tell me when will this stop and i can be me again (at least for 5 mins in a day)?