just fed up and a little bit cross

This is just me letting off a bit of steam, please feel free to ignore it!
WLE and SLNB on wednesday, all went fine but back in two hours after I’d got home with a huge haematoma. Had op at midnight on thursday to remove it and now my right hand side, from my breast to my waist is one huge bruise. It’s painful and I’m fed up. I just feel like it shouldn’t have happened. I always have a low platelet count and reminded them twice before op but they said it was nothing to worry about, could have thumped the registrar when he expressed his shock at what had happened the next day but wondered if maybe my low platelet count could have contributed to it!
So I’m home, my sentinel node looked ok and I know I should be truly grateful to the surgeon. I am, don’t get me wrong, it was the best possible outcome from the initial surgery…but I’m consumed with anger about what happened afterwards.
There, said my piece and feel better. Actually I don’t, still cross but was worth a try.
kate xx

Hey Kate, let it out!! It’s bad enough with all the ‘chopping about’ (my surgeon’s words!) that happens to us when things to well so don’t blame you for feeling fed up. Sleep well. Lots of love. Cathy x

Hi Kate. Always here to listen if you need to let off steam. It happens to us all at some time or another and if you can’t let off steam to your friends on theis site who can you let off steam to! We have all been in the same boat in one way or another. Sorry you have had to suffer so badly but hope the road to recovery is approaching now. Love Val (Scottishlass) x

Hello Kate - this sounds familiar. I also had a lovely big haematoma and was not only bruised from boob to waist, but had a perfect handprint on my left boob (what was left of it!). No-one had explained this might happen so I just thought this was normal (well, not the handprint!) until the district nurse looked at it a week later. The surgeon was on holiday and the registrar decided to leave well alone as the wound was partly open at one end and it would eventually ‘gush out!’ He also admitted to being the owner of the handprint! We were about to go off for a chill-out week in the Canary Islands and you can imagine how I looked forward to ‘gushing’ while sitting in a restaurant or something. I thought I might have to pretend it was a red wine spillage, or I’d been shot! It was a bit weird wearing breast pads at the age of 54. Fortunately it decided to do the gushing when I was in the bath, but it took a long time to disperse altogether and for the wound to heal properly. This delayed RADS for weeks so to say I was not well pleased is putting it mildly. You are entitled to feel more than a little bit cross! Hope things settle down now and you’re feeling more comfortable.

Hi, I am going to have my surgery WLE etc on the 2nd November and it is interesting to see it may not all be plain sailing. Are you feeling a bit better now? Do you think this problem was caused because they don’t put drains in now?

Thanks girls, your thoughts are always much appreciated.
Feeling much better,emotionally if not physically! Just keep finding myself in a really dark place but I guess that’s to be expected. Was surprised to get my appointment through today, Friday 10:40, and not with my consultant. I’d been told because he’s on holiday this week my follow up would be next week when he’s back so dissappointed, don’t feel up to getting to know a new consultant lol.

island girl, really hope I haven’t added to your worries about WLE,i’m sure mine was just to do with my platelet count which does fluctuate quite dramatically, just bad luck op was on a down day for me. Please don’t worry about the op, it really is a straight forward procedure, you’ll be fine. As for the question about drains, I’m a complete newbie, just diagnosed 5 weeks ago so I’m probably not the person to ask but I don’t think so. If I’m in the 80% of cases where SLNB is accurate then I’m all for the new surgery, if further tests show I need more lymph nodes out I’ll probably wish they’d done it during the first op as they used to. Just keeping fingers crossed for Friday and my thoughts will be with you on Nov 2nd x

highball, I know the hand print thing really isn’t funny but it did lighten my mood, thanks hun x