Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just found out

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: just found out

I'm not sure, think it will depend more how I feel mentally than physically coping with all the questions and also waiting for next treatments will be hard .
Highlighted

Hi Jill,

Not sure what to do will wait till i've seen the consultant on the 25th , I'm not in a lot of pain more discomfort. The one thing is i'm so tired , keep falling asleep. Got to go to the doctors on Friday to have my dressing removed and hopefully will get a sick note to cover me till I see the consultant. Are you planning on working between your treatments/ Lynne  

Highlighted

hi ratbag glad everything went ok and you are not in too much pain:)
x x
Highlighted
Community Champion

There is a lot of waiting isn't there,8 weeks seems a long time.Are you working ,
will you go back on between time?I am trying to work out what I will do.
Highlighted

Hi Jill

No going back on the 25th for my results so not too long to wait. Been told there is a 8 week long waiting list for radiotherapy tho.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Bet you are glad to get that out of the way.Hope you don't have to wait too long for your results.
Highlighted

hi all had my op yesterday, lots of waiting around but went ok. feeling very groggy today but not in too much pain x

Highlighted

Hi ragbag! Wishing you the best and sending prayers and hugs your way. I am new here and saw your post.
xx
Highlighted

Thank you Katie x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Thank you Katie nice to have some reassuring words.
Highlighted

Just passing by ladies and wanted to wish you all the best for all your treatments in the coming days and weeks. I am further down the line and recall being in your position in March. Really time has flown and nothing has been as difficult or scary as I anticipated in the dark moments in the middle of the night. The one thing I have learned is that everyones diagnosis and experience is unique which is really reassuring that all treatment is tailored to us individually but there is always someone out there who has experienced the drugs and operations as you and will be able to give sound advice and reassurance. I hope I can do the same for anyone anytime.  Love and hugs to you all. Katie xx

Highlighted

Thank u x

Highlighted

Hi ratbag, I'm sending you love and hugs and hope:)I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

As you say, the waitings the worst bit.
(dx Aug 13 3xIDC + DCIS - still here!)
x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Good luck, at least that will be one thing crossed off the list.I still have 2.5 weeks to wait.
Highlighted

hi op booked for tomorrow. trying not to think about it too much. just wish it was over, the actually op doesn't bother me it's waiting for results again. x

Highlighted

Snap Funfriend we share the 'D-day' in common 26th May, not a date I will forget in a hurry!! Have found comfort in chatting to like-minded ladies here, not a club I thought I'd by joining but here I am :-).

I hope you are sorted very soon so you can start enjoying your retirement. Feel free to befriend me and perhaps we can plot our journeys together xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Sarah,its a roller-coaster ride isn't it.Diagnosed last week.We appear to be developing quite a good little support group of newly diagnosed people on my thread if you want to join us.It helps to talk to people who are further down the line too though as they are alot less scared and more calm and positive.
Highlighted

Hi Sarah and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure the support will be a big help, please also feel free to call our helplines for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Here's a link to the BCC undergoing treatments pages where you will find more support ideas and information about treatments which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

I found out last month and had my op last Tuesday... This was a result of my first mammogram and I was diagnosed with type two.

I was in op for over four hours as they did a reduction too due to the amount of weight I lost. Everything has gone off to be tested and I get the results back in next wednesday, I still have one drain in but feeling up and down with it all.

I hope the results come back good then I need radiotherapy and then drugs for five years....

Sarah x

Highlighted
Community Champion

You must feel so cheated bet you have loads of things planned.Hopefully they will just be postponed for few months and you will able to put this behind you.Do you find that everywhere you look now or whatever TV programme you put on there is something about sodding cancer!Horrible shock and very unreal experience ,hope you have good support. Dont really think anyone who hasn't been through this or is going through it can understand.Hard for people around you to know what to do or say.Have to remember there are very good recovery rates for breast cancer and more advances all the time.
Highlighted

Oh dear not a very good start to your retirement. wishing you all the best

Highlighted

I was diagnosed this past Tuesday. I was finishing up my last week of school and retired yestereday!! I am so mad! This is not what I saw for my retirement. I have lots of empathy for you and am going through the same thing. My head says "It will be OK" and my heart and soul just feel sick. I am glad there are so many others in this "club" (including several of my good friends and my sister!) but I never expected I would join.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi,just saw your post .You are describing just how I feel.Diagnosed yesterday ,op booked for 24th June.Feels not real but unfortunately it is.Going through the process of telling people is rubbish.I don't want the world to know about my health problems and or feel sorry for me!Let me know how you get on your a couple of weeks ahead of me.Jill.
Highlighted

hi hopefullhopefulholly

Thank u for it reply, like u I suffer from depression, so I think the tablets r helping. I have a friend who was diagnosed like me 2 years ago and is now cancer free, so she is there to tell me what is happening. I know everyone is different and different hospitals do things differently but it does help. good luck to u x

Highlighted

Hi ratbag, I had the same initial reaction, it's a perfectly natural and rational response to the shock of the diagnosis. The situation felt surreal, my husband and I felt we were talking about someone else. This is actually a coping mechanism - taking an existential view (stepping back from it) according to my counsellor. As I suffer with depression I knew I couldn't let myself break down, I had to keep strong and focus on what I needed to do to get rid of the pesky cancer. That's another thing I did, kept using the word cancer to try to normalise it and stop it being so scary. I'm not in denial, I was/am worried and did well up in response to my family's tears and fears, and had some dark thoughts, usually at night.  From diagnosis on 14th April, through 2 surgeries - lumpectomy & SNB (clear margin but node involvement), then full node clearance - I learnt yesterday that the cancer hasn't spread to any more nodes so chemo is now unlikely, final decision with oncologist in few weeks. I actually slept for 12 hours last night!  It's as though my mind and body allowed me to rest for the first time in 6 weeks. I didn't look at this site until a couple of weeks after diagnosis and found some of the threads quite scary so would advise a bit of caution at least until you have more information about your cancer. I posted yesterday for the first time for advice on questions to ask and had a useful and supportive reply. Wishing you well, stay positive with a fighting spirit! 

Highlighted

Hi ratbag and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have found here please feel free to call our helpliners, they are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 with further practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to our 'Just diagnosed' pages where you will find information and support ideas which I hope will help you through this difficult time:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

Hi! I don't think any of us knows how we should be feeling whilst going through this. I still don't feel like it's happened to me! I was diagnosed in April and had a lumpectomy and snb two weeks ago yesterday. Thankfully the results were good and I need 3 weeks of radiotherapy and tamoxifen for at least five years. I am still waiting for this to hit me - I have been carrying on as normal and been putting on a brave face for my family's sake. I think once your op is over and you get your results back you will feel better. There is so much waiting for results on this journey and for me that was the worst part. I wish you well with your op. Take care x
Highlighted

just found out

Hi

Found out two weeks ago that I have breast cancer, not sure how I feel, doesn't feel like its happening to me,

Seem to be saying to everyone else I'm fine, but not sure if thats me talking or I'm saying what I think people want to hear! I'm booked in to have my operation on the 8th June, just want it over and done with. Think I will cope better once I've had the op.