just looking for support...again

Hi everyone,
Its been almost 3 years since I was last on here, eventually diagnosed with a fibroadenoma which was a huge relief obviously! and I valued the support and patience I received from everyone here on the forum. I feel embarassed to say Im looking for that support again. I had an appointment with my GP last week for a check up, the fibro is still there and is really painful - but given that its not going to turn into anything suspect I decided to avoid any surgery and leave it in there. However, the Doctor told me he can now feel thickening in the other breast and under the armpit area and so is sending me for a mammogram and ultrasound (7th November),. Im going through the same thoughts as previously … which may be stupid as having had the all clear before I know the chances of it being anything sinister are pretty low - but I cant rationalise the way Im feeling once again. I live in Spain and dont have any close friends or family over here and the language issue can sometimes be an issue which adds to the isolation at times like this. Im also a few years older now (49!!) so I suppose the risk element of BC is slightly increased.
Sorry to go on … I just wanted to say it out loud! Im a little bit apprehensive and probably will be until I have all the results following the mamogram and ultrasound.
Thanks for letting me rant on!!
Sue xxx

Hello Sue
Just wanted to wish you luck and to say that you mustn’t feel embarrassed about asking for support. You are doing absolutely the right thing in getting it checked out.

I had lumpy, painful breasts for years before BC was diagnosed (fibroadenomas, cysts and general thickening and lumpiness). Because the lumps were always found to be benign I really didn’t expect to get BC - but was diagnosed with invasive BC five years ago.

I think that there’s a very good chance that yours is benign so try not to worry too much. You’ve done the right thing - and so has your doctor in organising a mammogram and ultrasound. I hope the waiting passes quickly for you and I wish you lots and lots of luck. Let us know what happens.
Anthi xx

Hi Anthi
Thank you for your reply, its very strange that in all areas of my life Im a very positive and glass half full type of girl. But for some reason the subject of BC brings out the nerves and anxieties I wouldnt normally expect. Having had the all clear nearly 3 years ago I suppose I wasnt expecing to back in the waiting room once again! and it was the waiting that just increased the worry at that time. But you are probably right that it will all be ok in the end.
Take care and thanks again
Sue x

Hi Sue,

It’s so easy to freak yourself out, your mind goes into complete overdrive, you just can’t help it no matter how hard you try!! Keep talking, this forum is fantastic for your worries, laughter etc and there will always be someone here who can help.
So take care and all the very best to you for your appointment xx

Hi Katyc, I appreciate you taking the time to offer reassurance and kind words, thank you.
I will let you know how I get on next Monday.
Take care
Sue xx

Hi Sue,

Have saved this thread, just in case I can’t find you!!! Try and keep calm I know easier said than done will keep my fingers crossed for you,remember and let us know will be thinking of you, take care, xx

Hi Sue,

Yes, I’m going to save this thread too, then I can keep an eye out for you. It must be so difficult for you over there, with the language barriers, so it’s lovely that you’ve come back on here again.

I’m sure everything is going to be ok once again for you, but the waiting room is the pits… so post whenever you want n we’ll all be here for you.

I had WLE and rads for high grade DCIS 10 yrs ago, then last year I had mastectomy to same breast for Paget’s disease on my nipple. Both were very, very early stage cancers, so I’ve been really lucky.

Then about two weeks ago, I had biopsy of my scar site - I was convinced I had recurrence, but I hadn’t. And… I mean I was convinced, honestly, yet I was wrong, thankfully! So, I just wanted to tell you how the mind can play such cruel tricks on us - take good care of yourself, post on here whenever you need cos we’re “open all hours”, and try not to worry more than you have to. That means treating yourself and doing nice things to take your mind off it, cos you’re bound to worry until you know something for definite either way. We just dont want you worrying any more than you have to!

Much love n a big hug!
Shelley

Hi Sue- dont know if you remember me but seems we are in the same boat again- hopefully once again the outcome will be a relief!!

share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/26-possible-fibroadenoma-but-anxious-t21678s12.html

I have my appt at the breast clinic on Thursday feeling really anxious- I hope your wait isnt too long this time x

Hi everyone! how lovely to read your messages, and yes I do remember names from a few years ago Mich! Its lovely to hear from you although I wish it were under different circumstances…best of luck with your tests x
I cant explain what it is - but I feel more worried and convinced something is wrong this time that I did previously. Its a sort of gut feeling which is ridiculous I know, and I hope I am wrong. I have thought about this for a few days now, and do wonder if when you have had the all clear once and experience such relief, that a second scare heightens the fear for some reason - almost like ‘surely I cant be that lucky twice’!! Anyway - time to think positive - or not think at all! I can only wait and see how it goes.
Thanks again for all your support and kind words - the people on the site are just an amazing bunch of people.
Sue xxx

Well I am at work and glad its Friday - means that I only have the weekend before my appointment on Monday afternoon. I honestly do not know what is wrong with me at the moment - I feel so down and negative which is so unlike me. I have poked prodded examined checked and double checked every inch of my body this week looking for ‘signs’ that something is wrong! why would I do that !!! I will be glad to get the mammo and ultrasound over on Monday but already psyching myself up for yet another wait to get any results. Because I live here in Spain I have had the opportunity to undergo the screening via the Positively Pink Charity which is great because it means the language barrier is removed … the only downside is that the results will be given to PP first for translation into English and then I will be called for the results … it just adds to the delay. Im tempted to try and speak to the radiologists etc on Monday to see if I can get them to at least hint that all is well or not! but maybe thats the wrong thing to do… hmmmmmmmmmph I feel such a wuss at the moment!
Anyway I hope all you lovely people have a great weekend (if you are in the UK dont be envious because its raining here too!!)

Sue xxx

Hi Sue, hope the weekend passes quickly for you!! I would definately see if you can get any indication from the radiologist if you can!!

Good luck will be thinking of you! x

Hi sue,
just wanted to say hope you have a nice weekend and wanted to send you lot of good luck for monday, I will be thinking of you,
gentle hugs and and kind wishes
lille xx

Morning Mich, Lille
Thank you so much for your kinds words and support. Can you believe that for the first time in my life I was wishing the weekend away! just desperate to get to Monday and the tests over with. Husband has been a huge support as always and he is coming with me this afternoon. Although Im 99% certain I will know nothing after today and then its back to the waiting room for maybe another week … (groan!!!) thanks again and hope you both have a good day.
Sue xxxx

hey sue, hope it went well today. let us know what they said, they can sometimes get an idea from the ultrasound.
take care, judes xx

Morning ladies,
Hope you are all having a good start to your day.

Well I had the mammo and ultrasound yesterday afternoon. Usual slight discomfort with the mammo but nothing unmanageable. I have to wait for the results now so back in the land of the waiting room!
I came away feeling a little bit freaked out but cant be sure if it was my interpretation of the attempted conversation with the radiologist, or just paranoia. My Spanish is ok in day to day life but with medical people its pretty hard for me to hear properly what they are saying. At the beginning I told him my Spanish was dodgy in a hospital setting but he said that was ok not a problem, I could see the screen when he did the ultrasound and in my right breast he appeared to mark about 8 or 10 black images as ‘quiste’ which I know are cysts in English so Im ok with that. On my left breast where I have the lump (and which was diagnosed 3 years ago as a Fibroadenoma and left in) he marked the area as ‘nodulo’ or something similar. I asked him when he had finished if everything looked ok and he told me he didnt understand me!!! or understand English!! Then he stood up and pointed at the image left on the screen which was where I think the original fibroadenoma is and the only thing I heard was ‘triste’ which means sad!! then he left the room leaving me standing there in my jeans and nothing else, feeling very alone and vulnerable. Its probably nothing at all but it really upset me. There was no one for me to talk to afterwards other than the receptionist who said I would be contacted once the results were available. So thats where I am … trying to be positive and trying not to read too much into the radiologists actions.
I will aim to focus again on no news is good news.
Thanks for all your support and I will let you know when I receive any further appointments or news.
Sue xxxxx

Oh Sue,

That must be so difficult, you feel nervous enough without language problems, do you have a spanish friend that perhaps could come along with you? Do you get the results quickly?
Try and keep yourself busy anything to stop the “gremlins”.
Remember and keep us up to date, am thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs, take care xx

Thank you Katy.
My husband and I both speak ok Spanish but its much harder in the doctors or the hospital for some reason! my brain goes to mush and I dont hear half of what they say. They wouldnt let Neil in the room with me and I,m not sure he would have understood anything either! I do have Spanish friends, it just seems so personal a thing to ask them to attend - but having said that Im pretty sure they would be happy to help if I asked. I probably wont hear anything until next Monday which is the day the ‘translated’ results will be back from one clinic to the other.
This is all probably for nothing anyway - Im more than likely overreacting in a grand way!
Sue xx

Hi everyone,
I had a phone call today from the Doctor at the Breast Screening Clinic, telling me they are pretty sure the new lump in my left breast is another fibroadenoma, with multiple cysts in both breasts. Because they dont apparently have access to the mammo films from my previous tests 3 years ago which I had done at the equivalent of an NHS Hospital here in Spain (mammo/ultrasound and biopsy) they want to do a follow up screening in 3 months time to compare with this weeks results! I think thats all good news?!?!?! Although I was a little suprised they didnt want a biopsy doing on this new lump. Presumably they can tell it seems ok with just the mammo and the ultrasound.
I didnt realise fibroadenomas were quite so common once we reached 50, which I why I was a little bit surprised with the arrival of another one!
So, I feel very releived (again) and almost guilty for being such a weakling this past two weeks on here! As always your support and kind words have been invaluable.
Lots of love and good wishes and thoughts to you all - and take care.
Sue xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sue,

Absolutely brilliant news, thank goodness, you will probably sleep well tonight!! So very pleased for you, take care xx

Hi

BIG!!!congrats and fantastic news for you. M