large lump, 29 years old

I found a lump yesterday and I’m scared stiff. I am 29 years old. This lump is large (around the size of a 50p piece) and has appeared overnight. Slightly painful, slightly moveable (feels more moveable in some positions.) I will see my GP tomorrow. Feels like a boiled sweet, very deep. 

My 84-year-old Nan had breast cancer 16 months ago. It was an extremely difficult time but she was so brave and bore her illness with such dignity. After masectomy and three weeks of radiotherapy (as a precaution) she was fine but her cancer was extremely aggressive and was spreading very quickly (spread from tumor sites to lymph node in less than two weeks.) 

I know I can’t do anything until I have seen my GP but I’m terrified. I’m in teacher training and my job security is very shaky. I owe a lot in student loans (private, not through the government.) If I were to get bad news I simply couldn’t afford financial committments. 

My Nan’s diagnosis had serious health consequences for my mum (she had two mini strokes due to the stress.) I worry further testing and bad news might have some serious health consequences for her. I live with my parents so she knows and there’s no way of hiding it from her. I hate myself and my body for putting her through this again. 

I feel so mentally fragile that I cannot wait for NHS testing, given I’m 29 been reading I wouldn’t be a high priority anyway. Did anyone opt for private testing to be seen sooner? I don’t want to wait and be told I have to wait for my next period or something, I need answers now. 

Hello b2015

Welcome to the forums, this must be very difficult time for you.  I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator