Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ld success stories please

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted

Re: ld success stories please

Rosebud454

Hi Sandra, Glad you got through your op well. Gosh you were in for only a short time. Please keep us up to date with your progress if you feel that you can.
Best wishes,
Rosie x

Highlighted

HI all just to let you know that up to now everything is going OK. Had LD recon on lright side and implant replaced on left side last weds and out out of hospital by Fri teatime. Only had one drain (which was a huge bonus as was expecting 2-3) which i came home with and had that removed yesterday. Got dressings on and some white strapping (didn't have strapping last time) and go back to clinic Tues 18th to have them removed. It was alot easier than expected and I have felt well. Operation was 4 1/2 hours long. Even went to Sainsburys yesterday (hubby did the shopping though) and been out for lunch today. Cant really believe it as I was only coming out of hospital this time last year.
Love Sandra x x

Highlighted

Hi i was in for 6 days last time but consultant said that if i feel well enough i could be home by weekend but i will keep you posted. Off to bed now, just had my last supper (so to speak) as I have to fast from midnight.
Love Sandra x x

Highlighted

Rosebud454

Hi Sandra,

Sorry for what you had to go through last time, but at least they will have your history now, and know what you are allergic to!
It is inspiring to know you are going through it all again to have the end result. Will be thinking about you tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on. How long do you think you will be in hosp?
Good luck,
Rosie x

Highlighted

Hi all. I am going in for LD flap tomorrow and although I have already had one side done and know what to expect i'm getting really scared again. Had bilateral mastectomy Oct 2007 with recon only on the one side due to having to have radiotherapy on the other. Had infection on recon side so had to have implant removed so also having that replaced as well tomorrow. The one good thing that has come out of having it done at different times and having the implant removed is that I have asked for them smaller as I thought it was too big last time. I had every thing as well, fluid build up and having to have it drained, infection and antibiotics for 6 weeks, back in hospital for intravenous antibiotics, allergy to the antibiotics and then back in hospital for implant removed. But even after this I was not in a lot of pain just fed up of visits back and forth to the hospital and know (hope) it will all be worth it.
Love to all
Sandra x x

Highlighted

Rosebud454

Hi Anniemay, Yes its great to hear all these positive stories isn't it? I too feel much better about the op. Good luck with yours on the 15th, and let us know how you get on.

Rosie x

Highlighted

Hi ladies

Its lovely to read these positive postings. My op is booked for the 15th November (LD) and I've been looking for some positive stories. thanks to Rosebud54 for starting this thread. I feel much more calm now that the date is looming.

Anniemay

Highlighted

Rosebud454

Hi lou,
I think you're right -- people who have had it done need reassurance as well as us who haven't had it done. I really envy you being able to buy lovely bras. I can't wait for a cleavage. Its funny, i never really showed it off before, but now that i haven't got one i want to show it!!
On holiday recently, everywhere i looked there were boobs on show, i got quite depressed. I am glad you are pleased with the outcome.
Thanks
Rosie x

Highlighted

Rosebud 454,

Hi, i had my mx and ld recon 7 weeks ago. I have had nearly every complication and side effect in the book......but i still consider it a big success and have no regrets.

I think the reason so many people post on here of problems is because when you're experienceing anything negative you want reassurance that its 'normal'. Its amazing how quickly i have forgotten some of the problems i have had, especailly as i'm off to buy some new bras today to show off my new and impressive cleavage!!

Lou xxx

Highlighted

Dear all,
my arms go up no problem now, though with cording from node removal it was a bit touch and go for about 2 months after surgery. When I was dancing in that time (including jive!) I just kept to the same partner rather than swapping during the class ( my OH)
I could certainly do half moon now Bubs!

Td x

Highlighted

Rosebud454
Hi lucy, thanks for the info.
Thanks jackie and bev. It is very reassuring to think that you can do all the normal things you used to be able to do.
I especially enjoy my dancing, which is jive, and i would hate to have to give it up

Rosie x

Highlighted

Has anyone gone back to yoga (i.e. arms up by the ears as in half moon posture), or tennis, after an LD flap?

Highlighted

Hi everybody

So pleased to hear some positive things about these operations. We all understand the risks but the surgeons are brilliant and the difference it makes especially if it is delayed recon is amazing.

Rosie, I have begun partner dancing and I have no problem with stretching my arm, I was stretching it within the week I had it done although it was painful.

I can't always say it feels a part of me as it is harder than the other but after nothing for 18 months I would rather have this.

Good luck for everything
Bev x

Highlighted

Hi All

I had one mastectomy and immediate LD recon done in January this year and second in June. I am more than happy with the final result. It wasn't that bad otherwise I wouldn't have gone back for the second time. I own horses and ride and I have no restrictions on what I could do before my ops.

It is major surgery and I didnt feel like even leaving the house a day after I came out of hospital, let alone dancing!!! Sitting in a moving car was the most uncomfortable thing but sleeping at night was fine.

I am waiting for my nipple recon now and I have been given stick on ones in the meantime.

Jackie x

Highlighted

Hi Rosie

To use the private messaging system just type the name of the person you wish to message in the box marked 'send a private message to'. Remember user names are case sensitive so make sure you have any capitals in the right places. The message will then appear in the discussion thread where you have posted but only be visible to you, the moderator and the person to whom you have sent the message.

Best wishes
Lucy

Highlighted

Thanks Dahlia. I had my mastectomy a year ago by the way.

Bubs

Highlighted

You can rest assured that I will report my findings after I come out of hospital (sadly, although quite rightly, they do not have Patientline TV/phones/internet access as they encourage patients to use the day room and thus walk around a bit to avoid blood clots). I know I will be missing out on red wine and port on Christmas day, but what the heck - morphine will more than make up for it !!!! (I say that in jest because I think it is probably not that good to have. I will do my best to make my mind control whatever pain there is)

Any other LD flap stories out there? I'd love to hear them.

Bubs XX

Highlighted

Rosebud454
Hi Td, thanks for your comments, I,m beginning to feel more positive. Don't know how to pm, but will try and find out and give it a go.
Thanks susyh and bubs, I will be following your story bubs over the coming months. Hope you manage to get a decent turkey dinner!

Rosie x

Highlighted

Hi Sue, Rosie, Bev and Td

I am having an LD flap with implant (and a prophylactic mastectomy on the healthy breast with an implant at the same time) over the Christmas break (hospital food over Christmas will be an interesting experience!!)

I have posted on a separate thread, but would be really interested to hear first-hand from you ladies the low-down on the op and what to expect in reality. I think the thrill of looking down at two lumps of flesh in a bra rather than one will outweigh any discomfort and pain!

Bubs XX

Highlighted

hi rosebud

i had my recon 4 wks ago . i feel fab and all is well except for this numbness down the back . i asked my surgeon about it this week and he said it takes time to go .
I have not got any pain and would go through it again if i had to . i think its worth it cos now i feel like a woman again
sue

Highlighted

Hi Rosie
I had my LD recon in May and will have the implant after rads finished. I have not had the 'dancing boob' syndrome and have had no problems atall with my shoulder - the only thing I find a little difficult is pushing all my weight upwards with that arm, say like when you get out of the bath, My back scar was 12inches long to get enough flesh but it's healed really well and I think that by next summer it will hardly show - not that I really care what my back looks like! This scar didn't go along my bra line as I'd been led to believe, but in an arc from between my shoulder blades to my waist. I've not got much indentation here - again, I'm not bothered enough to care. My brreast pre implant is ok - a bit of ridging on the cleavage line at the current time, but it should sort out when the implant goes in.

Like Bev says, once the nipple is done, you'd not notice at a glance! I have a silicone stick on nipple and it's so good that I even go naked for lovemaking with it on, despite there currently being a disparity in size.

I too dance, and was back doing ballroom and latin within 3 weeks of op, and have had no problems there either.

let me know it you want more details! PM me if you want photos!

Td xxx

Highlighted

Rosebud454

Hi Bevx, I,m really pleased you are glad with your recon. Does it feel like part of you now. So many say otherwise and that they stay hard. Yes i have seen p.s. once and he recommended ld with implant as haven't enough tummy flesh, but i didn't really feel like being cut from hip to hip aaagh! I just need to ring b.c. nurse to get the ball rolling. I also dance like you and wondered what effect that would have on my shoulder. I am amazed you could dance the day after you came out of hosp.
Thanks for your reply.
Rosie x

Highlighted

Hi Rosie

Hope you are ok, please stop worrying, we all know things can go wrong or not as we like but I had my LD with implant on 31st March this year and have just had my nipple sorted and I have to say it looks really fab, OH said the other day at a glance you wouldn't know the difference.

Please feel free to ask any questions, don't want to bore you straight off.

I never thought I would be able to have recon as rads burnt me so badly but I did, I never thought it would be so good. I was for my sins line dancing the day after I came out all but very carefully and back to work in 9 weeks.

Don't get depressed, have you seen plastic surgeon yet?

Bevx

Highlighted

ld success stories please

rosebud454

Hi everyone, am hoping for ld recon with implant next year. Read lots of threads on here that are really negative, such as tightness, twitching, hardness etc.
I know its not going to be a doddle, but are any of you really happy with it, say three to six months on. I would really like to hear some success stories as i,m getting depressed at the thought of this op.
Thanks.
Rosie x