cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lipofilling/fat transfer , the beginning of my experience

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: lipofilling/fat transfer , the beginning of my experience

Thankyou for your wishes, back home now. Op took two hours, wearing a corset to help with the bruising, have a bandage over new nipple so can't actually see full extend of the fill but comfortable with painkillers. They took the fat of my flanks. Back on Thursday to change dressings and surgical follow up in two weeks. Good luck for all recovering or going in this week! xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just want to wish you all the best Tina for your op on Monday 15th. Let us know how you get on and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Lots of love Deborah xx

dotchas

Hi all,
I had my lipofil on Thursday ,my PS took fat from under my arm on my recon side which was annoying me,it looked like another boob! Also from my other underarm AND my tummy.My bruising is spectacular but the pain is easing today.I think it was worse as I had so many areas attacked.
My recon looks a much better shape now ,much more natural and less "posh spice" I just hope it lasts.
I also got a new nipple which I haven't seen yet as its covered in a large square foam pad. I've nick named it "sponge bob square nipple"
The dressing is so large it will show through anything I wear.
Love n hugs to all recovering or yet to undergo the procedure.
Dot
xxx

tors

Will be thinking of you tina, xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi sharing, that must have been scary, any lumps and bumps just scare me now! Bit ambivalent about the op now, know it needs doing but a bit scared about recovering afterwards, like to be on top of everything, not a very "patient" patient! Will report back asap. Thanks for your wishes! X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cadi, I know what you mean its hard to not feel self conscious even though people say you look "normal".

Good luck for tomorrow Tina! 🙂 let us know how it goes.

I found a lump the otherday on the lipofilled breast but ive been to the hosp and they said it was scar tissue which was a releif, gonna keep an eye on it though. I wish I had been warned it mite happen! but apparently it happens quite a lot so Im not worried.

x

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm also constantly concerned that I match and braless the difference is very obvious. My "good" breast is a d cup and my reconstructed breast is probably a b cup. I wear a beanie bag at the moment in a Royce mastectomy bra which is padded. This evens things out. I still find myself checking that I look even. Everybody I know says that I look "normal" but I certainly don't feel it. I hope to have a reduction in my "good" breast in the new year and hope that by the 2nd anniversary of diagnosis I'll have had all the operations that I need.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cadi, Although I felt much more my usual self after a week and a half or so I was still pretty sore, for that reason as well as to try maintain as much fat as possible I only started wearing a bra a month after the op. I still feel very self concsious as I'm not evened out yet, need a few ops still. Ive found that a fairly loose cotton sports bra that I bought has been the best for evening me out.
I think thats been the hardest thing for me actually, because I would always prevously have padding in my bra and it was very hard to get used to not and constantly worrying that people will notice, but hey ho... 🙂 xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Deborah - yes it is a lipofill I'm having. The first of at least two. I also work part time - 3 full days a week. I dropped a day when I was diagnosed and the subsequent surgery, chemo, radiotherapy. I'm pleased that it's a short recovery time. The operating theatre has been boocked for 2 hours which is a bit longer than I expected and I've been booked in for an overnight stay. My bags are packed and I'm ready to go. (there's a song there somewhere!!)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Deborah, glad to hear you have made such a good recovery. I can't wait now to "get on" with it all and have a lot of hope that it will look better afterwards! Thanks for letting us know. X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cadi

Is it the lipofill procedure that you are having done?

I had mine on 18th October and took a week off work. I was still bruised when I went back, but able to cope as I have an office job and am part time due to cutbacks! It will be 3 weeks tomorrow (Mon 8th) since my op and I feel pretty much back to normal now, no bruising left, just a slight tenderness on my tummy and sides where the fat was taken.

Hope everyone gets on ok with their various ops.

Best wishes, Deborah x

Guest user
Not applicable

I have a front facing job dealing with members of the public and would find it a problem if I'm not able to wear a bra as I would have one perky breast (although bruised lol)and the other has definately headed south. I have told my employers that it will probably be two weeks and was really wondering if this was realistic.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks sharing, my pre op is on the 13th! A week seems a quick recovery, you have done very well! Tina

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cadi, Im sure it's different for everyone, and it depends on what you do for a job but i felt pretty much ok after a week and a bit, I didnt have a job at the time but I felt able to act as normal and though i was still achey and tender I wasnt prevented from normal activity really. hope that helps. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I went for my pre op check last Thursday and it's all systems go for the op on 17th November. I have been given 1 week special leave from work and wonder how long I will be off work if any of you ladies can help. i have been told that I will need two procedures. I hope to have my other breast reduced in between procedures. Roll on the 17th.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies, glad found this thread as seeing PS on 2 Dec to discuss lipofill amongst other things. So much great information! Hope all your recoveries and future procedures go well X

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Lynn! Not entirely sure where he will harvest the fat, he said due to previous stomach sugeries, it will probably be the sides and thighs. I still have my mx post op bra , that will probably do ok!

pollysue

Hi (especially to Tina)

The fat for my lipofill was taken from 'one of my spare tyres' and tummy area. The only advice I was given was not to wear an underwire bra but a good sports bra for support. No mention of any type of support pants. To be honest I was disappointed when the surgeon said I would require further lipo filling but in reflection the side and top of my reconstructed breast has retained its 'new' shape and my plastic surgeon, bless him, says it is quite normal to have to go through maybe 3/4 lipo fill procedures and even after that he is prepared to reconstruct the breast completely using the 'tummy area'.

Lyn

Guest user
Not applicable

Probably a good idea to ring in and chase it up! Good to hear you are healing well! X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all again

Had my lipofill op on 18th October.
I am now well recovered, nearly all the bruising has gone and only a little soreness remaining.

I am getting a bit concerned about my follow up appointment though. They said it would be in around 3 weeks, but it is over 2 weeks now and no sign of an appointment!

Just wondering if I should wait a bit longer or give them a call?

Best wishes to all

Deborah xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lyn, sorry to hear you are disappointed, I have been advised that it can tke 2-3 lipofills for a good result and that about 25% gets reabsorbed. Hopefully in a few months time you can have another go at it!
I am going on the 15th November for nipple recon and the lipofill. Have to get the magic pants and crop top for post op. Did you find those helpful? X

pollysue

Had my first surgical check up today following my first lipo fill transfer to my reconstructed breast on Sept 15th. Surgeon is please with the mammoplasty on my good breast, but not so pleased with the lipo fill result on my reconstructed breast At the moment the nipple area has gone flat and feels lumpy in places and he wants to leave further surgery for another three months to give it time to finally settle before proceeding and I was disappointed, to say the least. I knew from the start this procedure would perhaps have to happen on more thand one occasion. How much fat disapates back into the body seems to be different for each patient.

Lyn

Guest user
Not applicable

Great to hear things are going well Lucinda. Good luck Tina , is it soon? hope it all goes to plan, im sure it will. My breast has been hurting a little bit last couple of days but Im not worried I think its just the sports bra Ive been wearing at work.

Also got a tip for bras (for after the first month or so when you can wear bras again), I foind some in Primark that are like little crop tops so they are really commfy and dont have any underwiring or anything x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope you are all recovering well after the procedure, with the bruising settling down! Have received letter from hospital for my admission as day case. Getting a bit nervous now, can imagine the bruising looks a bit shocking.... Sending healing thoughts for speedy recovery! Tinax

Sabraan

Hello again!

My back's alot better now and I'm off the pain killers. Still have some massive bruises but that's to be expected I guess. I'm seeing the plastic surgeon next week so I'm hoping he'll be happy with the results and can give me an idea of how many operations I'm going to need.

Lots of love to all you lovely ladies!
Lucinda

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Deborah, so glad its gone well for you. It is so strange how we all get different advice isnt it! I wish my surgeon would take fat from my stomach next time! 🙂 . Hope you continue to heal well. Lucinda, I had a really bad back too after my op, it settled down after a week or so once Id got myself moving about so hopefully you will feel better soon. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Deborah, thanks for replying! I usually recover quickly, I was driving 3 weeks after the mx& recon, so imagine a week will be fine. Hope your day went ok and you are comfortable! X Tina

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tina

Couldn't drive before so still can't LOL

Sorry I can't help you with that, but I should ask at the hospital, I can't imagine it would be too long though.

Take care

Deborah x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Deborah, good to hear you are recovering well! I am a size 14 now, I think there is enough "material" for a few fillings! Will pop into town for those pants! Can you drive again? Just wondering how long I may need help with the school run! I can imagine the bruising looks scary, but seems to be healing quickly! Thanks for helping! Keep well. Tina

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tina45

The only pre op advice I was given was not to lose any weight before the op as I am only a size 10.

The magic pants I have from Primark are called shapewear and cost £6. They look ever so small before you put them on, in fact I was convinced I would never get into them, but they do stretch, and are not really that bad once on. They certainly hold everything in place!

It is now just 3 days since my op and I feel better today than yesterday, the soreness is bearable, and I would certainly go through it again if I had to. The bruising is already changing colour too, so must be healing already, but I am a fast healer which is good.

The only thing I did pre op was make sure I was physically fit as much as I could. I walk a lot anyway, but made sure I did plenty so I would recover well and this seems to have paid off.

Best wishes for your op, I do hope you get a good result. Keep us posted

Love Deborah x

dotchas

I have just had my pre-op assesment for my lipofil on 11th November.
My PS has no problems with the fact I have had rads.In fact he says that introducing fat cells around my implant may help prevent further capsular contraction.
I have been advised to buy a sports bra to wear day and night.Its so strange how we all get told different things!
Thanks everyone for posting their experiences.I will add mine later too!
Dot
x

Sabraan

Hello!

I'm recovering at home after having this proceedure for the first time yesterday. Had a 9 hour wait which was a real pain but am pleased with the results. I've had fat taken from my upper stomach and my rear and am very sore but the painkillers are taking the edge off it.

I've also had bad back ache which has kept me awake but I'm hoping will be better tonight. I didn't know about having to wear magic pants but woke up from the op with some already on!! My plastic surgeon wants me to wear it for at least a week but having read these posts, I'll keep it on for three!

Thank you ladies for sharing your experinces
Lucinda XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Deborah, good to see you back home safe if bruised and sore! So glad to hear it looks good and you are pleased with the results. What is the name of the magic post op pants? I am still waiting, 15th nov. Were you given ant specific pre operative advice? Hope you will make a speedy recovery! Take care. X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to you all again

I am back home after my op on Monday. I had to go in on Sunday night to secure my bed, then had the op on Monday morning at around 10am and was back on the ward at around 12.30. Had to stay Monday night and had 2 intravenous drips with antibiotics to stop any infection.

I am so please with the result, even though it is overfilled at the mo, at last I have 2 boobs when I look down!! The surgeon has got my smaller boob to be a fantastic shape, and even though it is bruised and swollen, I am over the moon.

He used fat from several different sites, on my tummy and sides, as I am not very big, so I have a few small wounds with a stitch in, and am very bruised as you can imagine, but the pain is bearable and I have no regrets.

I only have one concern, the magic knickers I was told to buy, well I got a pair from M&S, and I have never bought them before, and wasn't given any guidance, so got what I thought was suitable and not cheap at £20. After the op, I was told by the nurse that the ones I had were not big enough, and the best ones were to be had at Primark and only cost £6 per pair! Why oh why wasn't I told this before!

I rang my hubby and he duly went to Primark on his way to visit, and bought me the recommended ones, just wish they had told me this sooner and then I wouldn't have wasted my money. So if anyone else needs to buy these, be advised. I have been told to wear them for 3 weeks.

I am resting at home for the remainder of the week, and will go back to work next week all being well.

Good luck to everyone out there.

Love Deborah xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck for monday deborah! I found marks and spencers were a little expensive but definitly worth a look. John lewis is a good one they had quite a large range when I looked, they have online store too. I would suggest getting seam free ones if you can because they will be more comfy x

Guest user
Not applicable

I think House of Fraser or M&S would be a good place to start, you could always google it and see where you would get the best choice/price! Good Luck! X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

I am having my lipofilling op next Monday, 18th, and as they are taking fat from my stomach, I need to get some of those "magic knickers", and was wondering if anyone has bought any and where the best place is to get some.

Many thanks

Deborah xx

pollysue

Hi

I had my first lipo fill procedure 4 weeks ago and my PS also gave me a new nipple and uplifted the 'good breast'.. he has done a fantastic job and I am really pleased with the result. I had an immediate reconstruction after my mastectomy as my original diagnosis was DCIS but unfortunately pathology showed a spread to lymph nodes with resulted in chemo, rads and a year of Herceptin. The rads did cause the reconstruction to go flat but I was also told that after treatment was finished, further reconstructive surgery was possible to improve the look of the breast. I had my surgery in Leicestershire.

Lyn

Guest user
Not applicable

HI, it was interesting to read your comments, I had a WLE 2 years ago followed by chemo and rads, I have been waiting for the PS to say he would do a rebalance op as he was not keen and only offered me a reduction on my good breast, however I have now spoken to my BCN who has advised that I should be able to have surgery, but they do not recommend a lipofill after rads, has anybody else been told this? I am in a confused state as whats best to go for, they have also not been that keen on an implant either. Help!

Guest user
Not applicable

It's probably the surgeons personal preference I should imagine! They all have an individual technique, in the end I am happy to have it done, no matter really if it comes off my bottom or sides as long as it is safe. Apparently, about 25% of the fat is reabsorbed, so he will slightly overfill to allow for that.

Guest user
Not applicable

I've had a hysterectomy and fibroids removed and have two scars on my abdomen and the surgeon said he would be using tummy fat. I get bewildered with all the differing opinions of the surgeons and oncologists.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tina

Just a bit worried over your comment about not using tummy fat because of your C sections. I have had 2 C sections and an op for an ectopic pregnancy, but nothing has been said about this and as far as I am aware, they are taking fat from my stomach!

Just wondered if now I will get there and this will be a problem?

Love to all

Deborah xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I hope to have my lipofilling op on 17th November. I have also had radiotherapy but no mention was made about it being a problem. In fact the op is due to flattening after the radiotherapy.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies

I find the lipofilling/fat transfer comments very interesting, my surgeon offered me lipo and then changed his mind. He said I was unable to have this procedure due to me having had radiotherapy, I also asked the breast cancer nurse and she agreed, but I have noticed that some of you have had radiotherapy.

Good luck Deborah xxxxSarniexx

Guest user
Not applicable

I know what you mean I get so impatient and am trying to make dinner and tidy up etc after one day! Glad your husband will be at home for a few days , I would definitly try to do as little as possible for first couple of days and get waited on ;). from the second or third day I did find it good to try and get air and a bit of a walk even if I felt ill just to stop myself getting too stiff because to be honest I suffered more from back pain than I did pain from the actual op! Hope all goes well x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good to hear that you are recovering well, sharing2, I can imagine the bruising may look dramatic. It will be a daycase here, I always find it difficult not to do anything at home, once I am back I want to organise the kids, dogs, house etc. But hubby will be working from home for a couple of days so he can do the school run.
Wont have the stomach fat as I had previous c sections and there is a lot of internal scaring so it will come of my sides and thighs I suppose. They will also do the nipple at the same time.
Good Luck Deborah for your op. xxTina

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tina and Deborah, I did have bruising on both my breast and my inner thigh where they took the fat from but it lasted only a couple of weeks. It looked rather dramatic to begin with though! now the only marks I really have are little red marks a few millimetres long from where the needles went in and although I am a little tender still i think its more psychological stress at the moment of not being able to wear a bra or padding and feeling self concious, not wanting anyone to notice.

I did'nt have to stay the night but I had my op at about 9 or 10 in the morning and decided that I defintly wasnt going to stay in unless I felt I would need them, though to be fair all I wanted to do was lie there and sleep so in terms of making sure you rest properly afterwards and dont feel you have to do anything for yourself for the next 12 hours or so its probably not a bad idea to stay in! I would be interested to hear how it works out having lipo from the stomach .

good luck to you both x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

I am glad this has come up as I am due to have this done on my LD, non implant recon breast on 18th October and I am hoping for a good result. My recon boob is quite a bit smaller than my natural one, which is saying a lot as I am only an A cup, but with a bra on it looks like there is no breast on the recon side as most of the flesh sits towards the armpit, and getting a bra to fit is currently a nightmare.

My surgeon is using fat from my tummy, and I am told I will have to stay in at least 1 night which I am not looking forward to.

I will post again when I have had it done.

Best wishes to all having this done.

Deborah x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the update, did you have a lot of bruising? My op is planned for November!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi guys, I thought I would update you on my progress. I had my dressings removed a wk after the op then just had a check up a week after that. A week after the op I felt alot better and was able to function pretty much as normal. I was feeling pretty insecure about what difference the op had made but when I had check up the surgeon popped in and said things looked fine and we should proceed as planned, I think her exact words were ' it actually looks like a breast now' Haha well thats good I thought 🙂 anyway on waiting list for next op in a couple of months, am not going to wear bra til then except if I have to, to give the fat the best chance of survival . Good luck to those with ops coming up I hope they go smoothly x