living a normal life with herceptin??

living a normal life with herceptin??

living a normal life with herceptin?? I have a dear friend who was recently diagnose with stage IV breast cancer, with liver mets (if I am getting the terminology right). As I was talking with her she said that she wishes she could find other people who have a similar situation as her, to find out about the quality of life, what they can and cannot do, etc.

She is currently optimistic that herceptin will work as hoped, and that she will be able to live with her cancer for a while. But will she still be able to be active? Can she ride horses, work out at the gym? Are there things that she needs to stay away from now, things that nobody has mentioned to her?

In other words, if she responds well to Herceptin, will there be some other “gotchas” that prevent her from doing the things she loves?

And on and on I go … hopefully you know what I am asking and can help out.

Thanks.

Dear canoeberry Welcome to the forums where I am sure you will receive valuable information and support from the other forum members. In addition, please feel free to contact our helpline on 0808 800 6000 and speak to one of our helpliners who have either had experience of breast cancer or are breast care nurses and will be able to offer information, advice and support to help you and your friend through this difficult time. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Canoeberry

Just to say that I have been on Herceptin since 03 (have a look at my profile) and that I am fine with good quality of life.

Can I suggest that you post in the ‘Secondary’ Site as that is where those on Herceptin - long term (as opposed to those Primary patients on a course of Herceptin) - can be found.

Please ask again if there is anything you want to know.

Blondie

moving to Secondary forum Thanks for the information.

I have just read the entire secondary forum (of current messages, anyway) and frankly I am speechless. You women are an amazing group of people. This is an unbelievable disease. I wish you all well.