cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

lumpectomy onThursday

12 REPLIES 12
Suzie55

Re: lumpectomy onThursday

Hi Nicki glad to hear it all went well and that you've been able to share a laugh with the family. I think that laughter is good, it gets you through this crap!! It has certainly helped me πŸ™‚

Take it easy and look after yourself during these first days and try not to worry too much about the results appointment until its here. Suzie xx

Kittkatt

Aw naw! How could we have forgotten to warn you about the throat!!! Don't know why Strepsils don't come round with the drug trolley ! So glad it all went smoothly and your boys are suitably entertainedπŸ€“
Kitt
X
Jobey68

Hi Nick, glad this bit is over for you and your home , I had blue wee for a few days but didn't turn in to a smurf although I was told some do! At least it's amusing the kids πŸ˜‰ Don't let yourself think about the results yet, I tried to fill my days with plenty of visitors and after about a week or so I was out and about again and keeping as busy as possible, I won't pretend it's not stressfull but all you can do is wait and see and the time will pass quicker if your not fretting about it Xx Jo 

nickif

I had my breast wire guided lumpectomy with sentinel lymphnode biopsy yesterday. The wire fitted was not as bad a a biopsy, the needle in the nipple OUCH! I was put back to last on list so 8 hrs waiting on ward which was the worst but the staff at hospital were wonderful and not their fault. I was allowed to leave 2hrs after surgery and felt fine. My boob is blue, my wee is blue and I didn't realise my face went a lovely bluey grey colour, would of made a great zombie. My boys ran down strairs last night happy I was back then in horror at my face... they then kept coming down to see me to laugh, cruel but loved to see them laughing. Its not a painful as I thought it would be. I did wake up in the middle of the night with what felt like horrific heart burn on the boob operated, and my throat feels a bit rough but im up on on here πŸ˜„ OH gone shopping and a bit dizzy but OK.  

Just wanted to put this on here so that when someone is a nervous as I was might find this and get some help from it. I have found lots of help on here. Now the 2 week wait for the next results but feel so relieved that the first bit is over xx

ps forgot to add, should of taken some slippers and a dressing gown which Iknow was advised on here but I forgot!

Suzie55

Hi Nicki, very best of luck for your op, sorry this is late but as I was advised put a cushion in the car for the journey home xx

poppyj

Hello Nick

Best of luck for Thursday, I had similar op in 2005, and clearly remember how worried I felt going into it. Happened to be shortly before Christmas and was able to go on a pre-arranged short break which meant I didn't have to cook, etc. Can't even see where the scar was now. Stay positive, and don't do any heavy lifting etc.

Poppyj

Jobey68

Hi Nick, I had My op in March this year, I was up and on my way home within two hours of coming round, hubby stayed with me, think he thought id do a runner if he didn't!! I was amazed at how well I felt and able to walk out the doors so soon, I didn't suffer with any real pain afterwards, it's more a discomfort feeling but take regular painkillers and it keeps on top of it. Mentally it's much harder than it is physically , it's not a massive op and although I was careful for a week or two I was back driving and at work within a fortnight, knowing the B****r is gone gives you a real boost and my results didn't change afterwards I fact it was smaller than they thought 😊 Best of luck XxJo 

Suzie55

Hi Nicki

Glad we were able to help, sounds like you're ready to get this over with and as you say, it will be out of you this time tomorrow.

I too didn't want my husband/family there as I didn't want have to worry about them worrying about me. What I didn't say previously was that I've since had a double mastectomy and reconstruction in Sept due to me testing positive for BRCA2 gene and I went in alone then also (they left me at the door) and the only time I regretted that decision was just before I went into the theatre and they wouldn't have been able to come in so that was that!!

Best of luck, although you won't need as you'll be in good hands. Keep us posted.

Suzie  xx

Kittkatt

Hi Nicky,

I know what you mean about your husband - I sent mine off to work after the dawn drop off too.  He stayed off with me the following day although I really didn't need him to.  I'd been very organised and cooked and frozen meals in advance in the same way as when I had previous rotator cuff surgery.  Turned out it wasn't actually necessary for the WLE but at least it made hubby feel useful since his culinary skills stretch as far as zapping some chilli in the microwave! 

Hope all goes smoothly on Thursday.

Kitt

x

nickif

Thanks ladies, its so nice to talk to ladies that actually understand. I have to be at the hospital for 7am so I have been organising getting my son to and from school. Worrying about that, but he is 15 so I am sure he will be fine, My eldest has said he will drag him out of bed before he goes to work lol! My husband is taking me but I told him to go to work after as he will just be in the way and I would prefer him to have time off after op when I need help. Think he feels guilty but I told him I can text him when I can to keep him informed. I just feel that time has run out. Im getting everything organised. About to tackle a mountain of ironing. I am work in the morning then leave there, straight to hospital, then hopefully back in time to get Tom from school at 4.30. My life suddenly doesn't seem my own any more... just this bloody thing inside me. At least on Friday I can wake up knowing the first bit is over and the lump has gone... Suppost we have to take each bit step by step... Thanks again, means a lot xxx

Kittkatt

Hi Nicki,

Deep breaths time!  You are getting on with getting rid of this b____r and getting on with the rest of your life.  I had my 2cm invasive ductal carcinoma removed nearly a year ago.  At the time it seemed like the worst thing ever but now I can look back and thank my lucky stars that like you I found it early.  

I had my radioactive tracer injection the day before since I was first on the list (barely felt it then went off to night class!).  Blue dye was done in theatre and that was one surprise - it took months and months (and months!) for my nipple to return to a normal colour - not the 6 weeks I was told but really no big deal.

i was fortunate due to the position of my lump that my surgeon managed to access my lymph nodes through the same wound - bruised and swollen due to a bit of rummaging around but not too bad.  

Best advice from my surgeon was that there are no awards for bravery so to take the painkillers regularly in the first few days rather than waiting to be really sore.  So important to keep your shoulder range of movement from early on so good pain relief helps that too. 

Be kind to yourself, let others take care of you and don't be sensitive if friends or acquaintances don't say the right thing ... they're only human!  Most people mean well even if they don't always express themselves well and if they don't mean well then they don't matter! 

Huge hugs for Thursday - ask anything you want!

Kitt. Xx

Suzie55

Hi Nicki, so sorry that you have had joined this unwanted'club', but you've come to the right place for support and advice :-).

I had a lumpectomy in June as like yourself my lump was found very early, it was done in the day surgery unit as an afternoon appointment but I had to be at the hospital at 9.00 to have a scan and then on to the Breast unit to have the guide wire inserted prior to surgery.  This was quite straight forward and didn't hurt, just a little uncomfortable. I had 2 lymph nodes removed along with the lump.

After surgery I had a plastic dressing over the 3" wound and was uncomfortable and restrictive in movement for a while but I went on holiday 2 1/2 weeks later and was swimming in the sea which was great for getting movement back.  

I went back to work after 6 weeks, I could have gone back sooner but I had a 2 week holiday already booked within that time.

Hope this helps, very best of luck for tomorrow, regards Suzie xx

nickif

lumpectomy onThursday

I was dianosed on the 23 October with DCIS breast cancer and my op in on Thursday. I am having a wide local excition and a sentinel lymph node biopsy. They explained all that will be happening to me but the closer it gets, I seem to be forgetting everything they have said to me. I go for my pre admit tomorrow afternoon so we get to learn more then. I have been really positive about my results as Iknow I am so lucky compared to others and I found it so early. (woke up in the night, hand on boob, and thought hello, what you doing there?) I think today its hit me what is about to happen and now I am really nervous and a bit scared, what if they got it wrong and they find its worse than they think..I supposes this is normal. Can anyone give me some idea what to expect especially afterwards?

Panic setting in now

Nicki