lumpectomy or mastectomy?

Hi, I’m newly diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer (I have a tumor that is 7mm by 11 mm) and facing surgery next week. I’m afraid of how disfiguring a lumpectomy might be and wondering if a mastectomy might have a cosmetically better outcome, a better shape etc as they use an implant in the reconstruction?
Have to decide quick as surgery is on Thursday next week…
Anyone had any experience with this?

Would be grateful for replies…

Lucy

Lucy

Hi! I had a lumpectomy - or WLE - on 29 December. My lump was 15mm by 10mm. I had a couple of lymph nodes taken too. I have a 2" scar under my arm where they took the nodes, which is just a red line. On my breast I have a curved scar about 3" long. You can still see the stitch marks but it is smooth and flat. In the right light you can see the shape is SLIGHTLY different but frankly it is hard to see. So to reasure you, mine really isnt bad at all. We are all different of course.

Before my op I asked my consultant what he would do with the hole and he smiled at me. There wont be one he said. I didnt believe him - I have small boobs anyway and not much spare to lose if you see what I mean. When he removed the dressings a week after the op he was very amused at my reaction, even at that stage covered in bruises it looked fine.

Hope this helps

Di xx

Hi Lucy

Firstly, welcome to our discussion forums, I am sure you will find our users helpful, supportive and informative.

Whilst you await further responses to your query, I have given links here to a couple of our factsheets which I think may be useful. The first covers your operation and recovery and the second is on the subject of reconstruction.

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/your_op_and_recovery_07_web_0.pdf

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/breast_reconstruction_dec06_web_0.pdf

I do hope you find this information helpful.

Kind regards

Louise

Hi Lucy

Your lump is fairly small and as Di says, even though closely examined your breast may look a slightly different shape, it should be hardly noticeable. I had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy and yes my treated breast does look a bit different, but once I am dressed (get a really well fitting bra) it is really difficult to notice the difference.

Hi zulululu

I was dx Dec 07 aged 39 and had WLE/SNB Jan 2008, Grade 2,1.8cm tumor er/pr+ her negative. At first I was expected to lose my whole nipple with an eye shaped incision as the lump was so close to it. At the last minute my surgeon was changed due to the original one having a cold and the replacement decided that he would try and save the nipple if he could. They cut around the edge and removed the tumour and a bit of my aureola and one year down the line all I have to show for it is a thin white line round one side of my nipple. I was a 36D and am a cup size smaller on the affected side but like cathy59 says a good fitting bra and your cant tell. I was given the option to have the good side reduced but to be honest I just dont feel its worth it in my case.
I had 19 sessions of rads, 5 years tamoxifen and two years zoladex (well one year left now). I was lucky to be able to take the whole 3 months off work had surgery 9th Jan and back to work 1st April.
Only you can make the decision and I too seriously considered a mastectomy. I do have a slight flattening on the surgery side but my boobs werent perfect to start with.
Good luck with everything. Its awful we have to meet each other in here but there are some fantastic women who will have fantastic advice. I know some people do have massive issues with their new shape and I, in now way want to influence you, just to let you know there are some of us out here who are ok with the outcome of a WLE.
Be good to yourself and make sure you do the exercises to help ease up the SNB area.
S x

Hi there,I got diagnosed yesterday,29th jan all I know is its a grade 2 and have been offered lumpectomy or mastectomy too,have been told tht don’t have to decide for sure til see the main man before the op which is on 22nd feb but think will make up mind before then ,he says its totally about what you feel best with,reoccurence rate same with either option after 3weeks of rads with lumpectomy. Am doing straw poll of all my m8s at the mo and the gen feeling is that maybe will be best to still retain part of own breast, am hoping in my case that will be a fair old part as have huge 40e knockers and if had one taken off I would be really lopsided and falling over all the time!

Hi Sandra
I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. As well as the support you are receiving from the other users you may find BCC’s resource pack helpful, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed. The pack is free of charge as are all our publications. If you would like a copy just follow the link below:

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/conPublication.82

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi there

I had the same decision to make last May. My lump was 3cms but the deciding factor for me was the breast cancer nurse. She said if I had a WLE and it came back, it would most likely be as another lump, but if I had a mastectomy and it came back, it would be on my chest wall and more difficult to treat. I had the WLE and I have not regretted it. I think it depends where your lump is, as to how it looks afterwards. My boob is a bit ‘mangled’ but at least I’ve got something to put in the bra and when I’m dressed you can’t tell the difference. It’s not bothered me at all. I’m just glad to be here.

Mal

Me too - I had to make the same decision last Feb and after lots of agonising I had a 2nd WLE. I haven’t regretted it so far, my boob is about a cup size smaller and as mal mentioned, a bit mangled, but with a good bra no one can tell and I can wear anything. Nonetheless it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make and I wished at the time someone in the medical profession would just tell me what to do!

Jules