Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lumpectomy or mx?

3 REPLIES 3
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: lumpectomy or mx?

Don't know if this helps but I chose/had a single mastectomy last may and really wasn't that bad all round . Mind you I'm small-breasted.It meant I could avoid Radiotherapy.I'm glad I chose this way.
Warmest wishes to you-so far I've found the waiting and the choosing the worst bit.xxxR

Annie22

Well, I'm not an expert, but think it is about reducing the risk of getting cancer

I would be asking:

1. If it is recurrent, would radiotherapy stop it coming back again? (or am I just delaying the day I might need an mx anyway?)
2. Is it recurrent, or actually a new DCIS is a slightly different place from the last one (so, therefore, removing this bit, may mean it would occur somewhere else in the breast?)
3. If I had a lumpectomy & rads, how/when am I monitored to check that it has worked and there is no residual DCIS that could become a cancer?

I think I'd then want to know

3. If I had an mx, would that mean that I have no chance of getting cancer in that area? And would I have radiotherapy after the mx too? (if not, is this because in this case, there is no risk left?)

Sorry, not an answer, but hope it helps
Annie

Sam_BCC

Hi timmy2

Welcome to the BCC forums, I hope you will find them to be a great source of information. I’m sure the users of this site will be soon be along to support you.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff, who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

lumpectomy or mx?

I have recurrent DCIS and have to choose between Lumpectomy with radiotherapy or mx. Any views please?