Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lumpectomy results

6 REPLIES 6
JSib

Re: lumpectomy results

Hi flopsy

I was in a similar situation to you, I had chemo to reduce my lump before surgery (wle with snb). I needed a second op as my margins weren't clear and then had radiotherapy afterwards as a precaution as I can't take the drugs. 

After the wle it is a case of waiting for the results, and allowing your body time to recover, it can be hard but hopefully it won't take too long, mine was a couple of weeks...

Radiotherapy wasn't suggested initially but it seems to be a common option after a lumpectomy where I am, 

I went with my doctors suggestions all that way, the way it was 'sold' to me made it sound very routine and 'this is how we deal with your type of cancer'. Everyone was very positive about the treatment route and although it wasn't always pleasant I'm through treatment and feeling ok about things.

Hope it all goes well for you, good luck!

Flopsy

Is a WLE and SN the normal way to do a lumpectomy?

I'm currently in Chemo but the plan is surgery after that. My lump has shrunk from over 30mm but there was lymph node involvement reported from the inital biopsy.

After the WLE and SN is it a question of waiting for the results to see if all the cancer has been taken out with a wide enough margin?

Sorry to ask newby questions. Each stage has been a huge leaning curve and asking other patients seems to be the best way to know what could be ahead of me

Anita

I had to wait 4 1/2 weeks for mine which felt like a really long time, then another 3 weeks to see Oncologist. I had my op end of March & am only just finishing my 4 weeks of radiotherapy. So it really seems to have dragged on but I was told this was because they've been overwhelmed with the amount of people needing treatment in our area. So I suppose it depends on where you live. Good luck everyone with your results xx

Cat79

Hi Livvy,

I had my WLE and SNB last Tuesday. They originally tried to tell me it would be 7 weeks for results then 4. However when letter came it is 2 weeks (13th) as previously discussed with surgeon.

My surgeon was always adamant it would be 2 weeks. Maybe you could ring your BCN to check?

Good luck for your healing and results.

Cat xx
livvy

Hi thanks for the reply its all just a waiting game I suppose! You get over one hurdle and then come up against another! I'm feeling pretty good considering I was expecting to be alot worse so its a bonus that I'm just a little sore,I hope your on the right road to recovery also. Xx
JSib

Hi,

Mine was 2 and a bit weeks for the first result and then 3 weeks for the second op (lucky me!) my consultant was on holiday for a week which delayed the results a little but I guess it depends on your hospital. Partly the appointment will be to assess your recovery from surgery so they might be leaving time for you to heal a little. From my own experience when they are worried results come sooner so don't panic!

hope you are recovering well...

livvy

lumpectomy results

Hi just had a bilateral wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy on Friday,don't have an appointment for another 4 weeks! Will it really take this long to get results back? I don't think I can bare another 4 weeks of not knowing the outcome anyone else had to wait this long?