lumpectomy scabbing

When I went for my lumpectomy on 30 August, I expected to have just one incision line on my breast (as well as the scar under my armpit where the sentinel nodes were removed). 

However, when I came home from hospital I discovered there was a second wound about 3/4 of an inch above the incision line, just above my left nipple.    In a letter from my surgeon to my doctor he referred to the scabbing and said: ‘this is due to thin skin flap in order to try and excise a good margin  of tissue around the tumour.’  In other words it sounds like the surgeon had to scoop out  the tumour material and margin just underneath the skin above the incision line.

The result is a bow shaped deep scab of about 1.5 inches which seems to be taking a long time to heal.  I have no reason to think it won’t heal, and the surgeon called it ‘superficial scabbing’ when he saw it, but I am wondering whether it is likely to leave me with a scar.  It looks like a much more significant wound that the incision line, even though it is apparently coming from below the skin.  I had no idea thaat wounds below the skin could cause scabs on top. 

Has anyone esle had a similar second wound?  If so, did it leave a scar after it healed?  Is this common?

Anne

Hi apandy,

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question as yet, but if you would like to give our helpline team a ring they’ll be only too happy to talk to you about this.  Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

once it has healed over completely if you start putting Bio Oil on the scar every night it will disappear. After my WLE last year and ANC my scars were quite thick at the end - as if the surgeon had too much skin left and just finished off his stitching, but with the bio oil this has virtually disappeared. I did have a MX and and LD flap last week though  and all on the skin on my breast has been replaced my back skin, I shudder to think how long I will personally be using the Bio oil for this time round! Cheapest place for a large bottle is usually Amazon, but sometimes the Chemists have special offers. Hope this helps

KM x