lymph node clearance

hi
had my mx 0n the 14th november am but it has spread to the lymph nodes and am going in wednesday for clearance so scared as i dont feel ready for another operation yet i know i have to go but im stressing out and panicking all the while its all bad news and i feel i should cope better.

Hi Jenny
I too was found to have lymph node involvement after my SNB, like you I totally panicked and was terrified that more bad news was going to come my way. The morning I was due back for the results from my ANC I phoned the helpline at BCC, I was in such a state I could barely stand, what the lady on the helpline told me was not to think of it as getting my results, but to think of it as getting my treatment plan, she was right, and her words helped enormously. I also saw my GP who prescribed me some Diazepam, I took one of them prior to going for my results. Please don’t beat yourself up over not coping, none of us really cope, we just muddle through, you’re allowed to be scared but I promise you will feel better once you know your treatment plan x

Hi Jenny
Its an awful time for you so dont be down on yourself for stressing out, I had 3/20 nodes affected and had full node clearance at the same time as my Lumpectomy , I too was terrified that as it was in nodes it was all doom and gloom but my oncologist said that its very treatable and not to focus too much on it easier said than done I know, but there are a lot of us ladies with node involvement who are here to help you through , Be sure to do as the doctor tells you re excercising etc after the op it does help and you will need to be careful lifting etc after but you WILL get through it all I promise it seems so daunting now but it gets a little easier day by day , keep coming on here for support xx

thanks ladies what treatments did you both have afterwards?

Hi Jenny ,
My tumour was a garde 3 which is aggressive so I had to have chemo I had a combination of FEC-T x 6 courses 3 weekly , then a month after chemo finished I started Rads and had 20 sessions , I am now on Tamoxifen I think for 2 years but I have my open access appointment tomorrow so will find out for sure how long and what happens next etc , my active treatment should now be over ( hopefully) and I am hopeing it will now be mamograms/checks when needed so Im keeping everything crossed for tomorrow

Janice x

Jenny, I had a grade 2 19mm tumour so it was moderate and not aggresive and a micromet on one lymph node only (less than half a mm in size) so was told I was borderline for chemo but it was advised due to my age - 43 at diagnosis. I had 6 x FEC75, followed by 20 rads and now on Tamoxifen for 5 years. Try not to get overly anxious about chemo, the fear of it is often worse than the reality, I worked through most of mine and on the whole felt reasonably well most of the time, I realise that’s not the case for everyone.
Janice is right about coming on the forum, I don’t know where i’d have been without it. Ihave made some wonderful friends, we all met up a couple of weeks ago and are doing so again in March.
Once you get into your treatment you’ll feel more in control x

I’m 2 weeks after an anc and an mx. The day I found out it was in my lymphs (after SNB ) was worse than diagnosis day, but the girls here were fab!! The doc took a further 24 nodes and there was no evidence of cancer in them!!! That for me was a huge relief! My tumor was a grade 1/2 1.6 cm IDC , and I will have to have chemo rads and hormone treatment - not on my wishlist and am terrified… But we will all stick together and hopefully get through…

I’m 2 weeks after an anc and an mx. The day I found out it was in my lymphs (after SNB ) was worse than diagnosis day, but the girls here were fab!! The doc took a further 24 nodes and there was no evidence of cancer in them!!! That for me was a huge relief! My tumor was a grade 1/2 1.6 cm IDC , and I will have to have chemo rads and hormone treatment - not on my wishlist and am terrified… But we will all stick together and hopefully get through…

Can I ask you ladies a question… I had WLE and Sentinel node biopsy done on the 27th Nov… get my results 13th Dec… fingers crossed… I didnt ask any questions when being discharged from hospital but my surgeon did say that depending on the lymph nodes I could be having another operation… I presume he means removal of the lymph nodes??..to be honest I have been numb all the way through all of this… Ive got as far as a written summary of having a Grade 3 invasive ductal C…Ive been reading several posts on ladies with the same as me as it looks like the road ahead is Rads and chemo… I know every treatment plan is different but if I could at least have some idea in my mind etc… thanks ladies xx

Hi Jenny, I too have to have lymph node clearance I had a mastectomy in September this year,9 lymph nodes were taken and 5 had slight traces of cancer in them 4 didn’t so my surgeon said I will be having a total clearance on my right side. I am today having a bone scan and a CT scan on 4/11. It is all worrying but they are just sticking with the protocol which is good and I have been told chemotherapy. I have been asked about the Optima trial too so another decision to add to everything. Has anyone done the Optima trial if so please let me know. Thank you. Xx