lymphnodes?

Hi,

I wonder if any one can tell me how many lymphnodes there are in the arm pit please . I had some removed but now have to have all on the right side, and also how long will the drain be in.

thanks for your time

Ann

It varies a lot from person to person,some have only 8 and some have 30+
Sorry I can’t help re drain.
Good luck for the surgery
Love
Dot
xxx

Hi Dot,

Thanks very much for the information. I have so much reading material it is sometimes so difficult to find the info you need,it saves time to ask the question.

Kind regards
Ann

Hi

I had 3 lymphnode removed. Their was cancer in 2. I then went on to have a further 33 removed, they were all clear. I was in hospital for 5 days and had last drain removed on day 7.

Take care

Carolyn x

Hi Ann

I was told that anywhere between 5 and 30 + was normal. I only had 6 in total- so I checked they were sure they got them all . Debx

Also my surgeon does ANC clearance as a day case. Though o stayed overnight as am not good with anaesthetics. Good luck

Hi Ann - I had both my WLE and the ANC done as a day case, theatre 9am home by 2.45p. After ANC had drain in for 3 days with district nurse coming to check it and empty it. Also taught me how to empty it myself. If you have a drain try to find a small shoulder bag to keep it in as it is sooo… easy to get up and leave it behind. Removing the drain was painless. I had a total of 19 nodes removed, of which 5 were affected.
Good luck with your op. Marli x

Hi Marli,

thanks for your reply, I am so new to this i have no idea what all of the abbreviations stand for but i will look them up.

Hi Ann

Here’s a link to the site glossary which may help with some of the terms and abbreviations used:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-breast-health/glossary/

Hope this helps

Take care
Lucy

Hi

I too had a wide local excision (WLE) to remove lump and axillary node clearance (ANC) to take away lymph nodes. I had 18 removed and one was cancerous.

Julia xx

Sorry Anne, never thought about abbreviations, I was exactly the same when I first found this site. The abbreviation /jargon site is very useful. Julia, thank you for being so sensible and putting the full name. Marli x

Ladies,

thank you to everyone who has answered my questions, I will have more in the future i imagine.

thanks again
Ann
xxxxx

I’ve fecently had lymph nodes removed (18) following an initial 5 nodes at my first operation. I was told that (23) was 80% of the total in that part of the body.

My consultant insisted on a drain in for 5 days (with me and other ladies on the ward) though I could have gone home after 3 days with the drain in. It does vary from hospital to hospital, consultan to consultant. Mine told me to expect tha when I spoke to him, so you may have a chance to ask what practice yours follows.

We were closely monitored for that 5 days, so it wasn’t too bad. I know some do it as day cases - as in above post - so you may want to have some idea before you go in. I took some casual clothes in which I found was good as it meant I could walk round without my nightwear. Think it helped me feel better…

Best wishs,

Sue

Hi Everyone,

I have just had some good news and with all of the bad cannot believe it.

I had to have a second op to remove further lymphnodes, as one was found to have Cancer cells.

Today, told it was not in any of the others,such a relief as i am sure lots of you have had the same.

I am still to have chemo and radiotherapy but it is a lot of the weight lifted. i also believe the enormity of it all has finally hit me.

Just wanted to share this with others who will know just how i feel.

thanks for your support

Ann51

Hi Ann

I am glad you are feeling so much better. Hopefully now you can get on with your treatment. Take care. Debx

I know the relief you feel! I had only one node affected out of eight. It was a blow having any nodes affected at all, but a relief to know it was only the sentinel node. It meant chemo was recommended, but still better than having 10 nodes or whatever involved.

All the best for the rest of treatment!

Hi Steph and Deb,

Thank you both for your replies, I am so relieved that the “C” hadnt spread to the other lynphnodes.

I am now in a waiting game, as I wait for the oncology dept to contact me. I hope that this will be soon I am not one to sit still once something is found I just want to get on with it. They say patience is a virtue and I dont have any.

kindest regards

Ann