cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lymphodeama in the breast...

15 REPLIES 15
Niceemee

Re: lymphodeama in the breast...

I have had my 2nd appointment with the lymphodema nurse today I was given a more indepth massage. She said my breast felt a lot softer and that is after just 1 week. I was also told that if I am in Westfield Health I could claim so much back on my new sports bra.
jannie13

My surgeon said to expect swelling and discomfort for 18 months and was not very helpful. This is the first time ive seen any massage advice for the breast there doesnt seem to be anything in the leaflets.
Niceemee

Hi Jannie13. I think I have been following your comments on starting chemo August 2014. I have lymphodema of the breast, it has taken me months to finally get some treatment as I was told it was part of my surgery and it would go down. It didn't go down but got bigger and more uncomfortable. I finally got referred to a lymphodema clinic and had my 1st appt on Tuesday. They have me certain massage movements to do 3 times daily and I do think it's working. I feel as if I have had to fight for something to be done. Hope you have sorted something out.
Wendyy
Volunteer

Donna

Thankyou so much for that. I think I need to print that so I can take it in. Pleased it's been so successful for you. Hoping I've caught mine early and can also reverse it.

Take care and thankyou again Wemblo x
Donnaandfamily

Hi Wemblo

I had breast lymphodema several months after stopping radiotherapy. I went to the lymphodema nurse and she showed me the exercises on how to encourage lymphatic drainage.

Clear nodes at neck
This can be done most effectively one side at a time,
using the palm of your hand and gently stroking (1a).
This can also be done using both hands simultaneously
in a “choke” type hold (1b).
• Place opposite hand to opposite side of neck with
fingers, palm-side along neck, just below ear.
• Gently stretch the skin in a downward stroking motion
(toward heart).
• Repeat 10 times.
2. Clear the stomach/abdomen
Abdominal clearing includes deep breathing to reach
the deep nodes. Hand is placed on top of the other
hand, between breast bone and navel.
• Take a deep breath in.
• While moving hand in a circular motion, exhale
quickly, pressing deeper with each circle.
• Stop applying pressure immediately after all air
is exhaled.
• Repeat 3 times.
3. Clearing along the left trunk
Divide the left trunk into sections that are as wide
as your hand

Clear toward the inguinal/groin.
• Place hand at inguinal/groin.
• Gently stretch the skin downward in a stroking motion.
• Repeat 5 to 10 times in each section, moving upward
toward the armpit.

4. Clear left armpit/axillary region
Hand is placed along side of trunk, just below armpit,
with fingers pointing toward back.
• Gently stretch skin in upward stroking
motion toward middle of armpit.
• Repeat 10 times.
• Caution – Never move fingers up into armpit and
then down into arm in scooping fashion. This would
cause fluid to move into arm.
X21892a (Rev. 06/11) ©AHC Breast Surgery/Lymphedema
Continued
Self Massage for Left Breast Lymphedema

Self Massage for Left Breast Lymphedema, Page 2
5. Clear back
• See back clearing sheet attached. (You may do this
either using a towel or with assistance.)
6. Clear across chest
Divide chest into three sections –
1. Right unaffected
2. Middle
3. Left affected
Start at right unaffected side.
• Gently massage each area in a stroking motion
5 to 10 times, always with stroking motion toward
the right unaffected side.
7. Clear the left breast
Divide breast into two halves – upper (A) and lower (B).
A. Upper breast
• Massage upper half of breast toward the
right armpit.
• Use a gentle stroking motion 5 to 10 times, always
moving fluid toward right unaffected armpit.
B. Lower breast
• Massage lower half of breast toward the
right armpit.
• Use a gentle stroking motion 5 to 10 times, always
moving fluid toward right unaffected armpit.
8. Re-clear armpit region
• Repeat 10 times.

Hope this helps until you are seen. You can access exercises on line.

My lymphodema has now completely gone after just a few weeks of doing the exercises.

I still do the exercises when I have a bath.

Best wishes

Donna

Janet_BCC

Hi All,

I've attached a link to our booklet on lymphoedema:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/living_with_lymphoedema_web.pdf

I hope this helps

Janet

BCC Moderator

lottie63

Hi Wemblo 

what your doing is correct, I massage the breast area as shown by Lymph team, if you start at the top of the breast from under the armpit and gentle strokes across the top to the centre near cleavage then work down the breast always stroking across the breast area from the outside inwards if that makes sense and then the same underneath the breast from your arm side across to the middle, just gentle sweeping strokes and with lotion so that you dont pull the skin at all, this helps to break down any fluid build up, I hope this makes sense its hard to explain without showing !! 🙂 it works though thats the main thing !

L x

Wendyy
Volunteer

Thanks Rattles for your reply.

I'm moisturising, gentle upward arm massaging and across the breast bone away from my bad side. Still doing the shoulder excercises, avoiding heavy lifting with the bad arm. Any other suggestions gratefully received.
Rattles

Hi all, I have lymphodema in arm and also bit in breast. I wanted to say that my experience was that post radiation treatment swelling is different to lymphodema - though both are swelling. It still needs managing and if it's the first, it will go down slowly. Your BCN or surgeon may be better placed to advise than the oncologist. I've found front line practitioners know worryingly little and there is quite a bit you can do to help yourself. Rattles x

SML1903

Hi. Thanks for your reply Wemblo. I did have some swelling after rads which settled after a few weeks which my onc said was normal when I had my follow up appt in January. My next appointment is with my surgeon and bc nurse in March. I think I will see how it goes and if it gets worse over the next few days will take your advice and ring his secretary for an earlier appointment. I have also noticed more pain in my arm athough it is not swollen which I put down to bouncing my little grandson up and down.

Good luck with your MRI results and hope the physio helps.

Wendyy
Volunteer

Hi

I understand your problem. I finished rads at the end of November. During the treatment I became swollen, was checked by my onc and told it was quite a normal reaction to rads, take ibuprofen and it will settle down. Fortunately it did, however 3 months on and I'm swollen again, I must be at least 2 cup sizes larger. My appt with my onc however was disappointing as I only saw a registrar and he took some convincing that there was an issue. I was due to have an MRI and he decided the results from that would show if there was a problem, however whilst waiting for the results my forearm has become painful and slightly swollen too. A call to my BCN has resulted in an appt with a physio in March, the same day as my MRI results. I guess what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be any urgency to sort either my arm or breast swelling in a hurry but I guess a phone call might bring your appt forward and put your mind at rest.
SML1903

Hi.

Not sure if I have a problem or not. I had chemo followed by WLE and node clearence then radiotherapy in December 2014. Since surgery my treated breast has been noticeably smaller and a bit misshapen, well to me anyway than my uneffected side. Over the last few days it feels different and swollen to me and almost the size of my good side. I am not due for my first follow up appointment until next month, March so wondering what if anything I should do. Keep hoping that I am mistaken or it will go away. Would appreciate any advice if anyone else has had the same problem. Thanks for reading this. 

jannie13

Thanks i am waiting to see if they will refer me.
lottie63

Hi,

Yes I have lymphodema in the breast area, arm as well, I have been fortunate enough to undergo the lymph vascular surgery and it has reduced now but is still pink/swollen in comparison to the other breast there are ways of reducing it and keeping it down and your lymph team will help/advise you, self massage is good as well

L x

Kellc

yes i had it after radiotherapy ane i was referred to the lympodema nurse who taped it up using kenesia tape which stayed on for a couple of weeks i took a photo ofthe dressing  to show how it was done and when it needed reapplying the nurse at the local surgery did it for me. I was lucky  that she was interested

in sports injuries and she knew about the tape.I used this for a few months and it worked.

Barbara

jannie13

lymphodeama in the breast...

Has anybody had this after rads? Doesnt seem to be any advise about this i was told today that i may have it and they are going to review in 2 weeks.