cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mammograms after mastectomy/ reconstruction

6 REPLIES 6
shell

Re: mammograms after mastectomy/ reconstruction

It's okay Dotchas, you haven't worried me, takes a lot to get me worried these days 🙂
Just like to be clear in my head about stuff so will have a few questions for my BCN next week. xx

dotchas

Shell,I hope I haven't worried you but it is better we know and can be vigilant.And as you say you have had the works.Congrats on coming up to 4 years.
Dot
xxx

shell

Didn't know that Dotchas, always thought after the mast with good clearence that it was all gone.
Will be seeing my BCN so will ask her to have a look in my notes and see what she says about it.
Still not worried about it cos I had chemo, rads and herceptin to prevent it coming back and it will be 4 years since DX in March 🙂

dotchas

I am at the same hosp as Lulu and I only got a mammo and ultrasound on my good boob at my first check up.
Shell, I am afraid that a mastectomy doesn't remove all the breast tissue.I found out the hard way when a MRI showed a small residual tumour in my recon side.They do their best but can only remove about 95% I think.
Because of my experience I will only be happy if both boobs are imaged.

shell

My unit only does the mammo on my okay boob and the recon one isn't touched. It doesn't have any breast tissue anymore so doesn't need the mammo. (I had the tram recon using my stomach)
I see my BCN once a year and she checks the recon boob and ask me how it is and it's okay. Also see my onc once a year and she does the same.

Lulu34

the unit im at dont do anything.... you just have to be aware of any changes.... im not sure if its different in other places.

westie123

mammograms after mastectomy/ reconstruction

Hi im due my 1st mammogram in feb.since having a mastectomy with ld reconstruction with implant,i no its a daft question but what do they do if youve had a reconstruction.Do they do some form of scan on that side.I am also waiting for a date to have a mastectomy on the otherside and just wondered how they monitor you after that as a mammogram will not be an option then.
thanks julie x