mammograms for younger women

Hi there all, does anyone know if there is screening for young women whose mothers have had a breast cancer diagnosis?

My sister had BC aged 29, I was able to start having a mammogram when I reached the age of 35. Apparently they don’t do them any younger as breast tissue is too dense. Because I found out last year I carry BRCA2 mutation my daughter can be screened at an earlier aged but with MRI scan. (I was dx 2 years ago aged 43). I started the ball rolling by going to GP (this was 15 years ago, maybe different now), coz of my sisters young age, she was refered to genetics. It may help to talk to GP first.

Take care

When I was dx at 44, my GP told me my daughters should start being screened from 34 - ie 10 years under my age at dx.

yeh they GP told me as well to start screening 10 years before the age my mum was at DX

Hi Leadie

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication ‘Breast Cancer in families’, you may find this useful to read. If you would like to talk to someone in confidence about this then please don’t hesitate to phone the helpline, the staff here will be only too happy to talk to you about this. Helpline 0808 800 6000, Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm Sat 9am - 2pm

Publication link: breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=691

Hope this helps.

Jo, Facilitator