mammograms or ultrasound

mammograms or ultrasound

mammograms or ultrasound Hello
I am new to this site. I am undergoing testing at the moment, but have already been referred to screening due to my family history. I am 38, my sister died last year at 42, my Dad has prostate and had bowel cancer, and every female relative of his died of reproductive cancer before 50.
I have been reading stuff about mammograms etc for a while now, but want to ask the question: Is ultrasound screening better and safer than x-ray mammograms in the case of high risk young women? If so, are ultrasounds widely available?
Any comments/info would be very much appreciated.
thanks
Jane

mammograms v ultrasound Hi Jane,
I’m sorry to hear about your family history and the dilemma in which you find yourself.
I too have a high risk family history and I have been seen on an annual basis by a breast surgeon since I was 30 (am now 42), once I became 35 I had annual mammograms and I do remember having 1 ultrasound.
I am pretty sure that the NICE guidelines are annual mammograms to those that are high risk (family history and diagnosis of the BRCA genes).
I found out last year that I had BRCA2 and asked about screening whilst I was waiting for preventative surgery. I was told that mammograms were better than ultrasounds, but I know there are ladies on this site who had ultrasounds (they had to fund themselves) for some reassurance. I also asked about MRI scanning and this may be an option that you would wish to look at if it is available in your area.
Good luck with whatever you decide,
Lynne x

Thanks Lynne Thanks for the reply Lynne, I hadnt thought about MRIs. The BRCA2 is also the culprit in my family - but I’m a lot earlier in my journey than you - my first appointment with a breast surgeon is in a week and a half’s time.
As a hospital-phobic I am very scared, but there is no alternative.
thanks again
Jane