Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

marina coil and breast cancer

8 REPLIES 8
Butterfly318

Re: marina coil and breast cancer

Hi Karen

I didn't have anything at all but am 52 / may have been post menopausal (although blood tests have said not) and had my Chemotherapy FecT straight away which often seems to induce menopausal symptoms.

After my diagnosis my friend asked her GP to remove hers (she is only 40ish) and had very similar, a couple of months of quite heavy loss / clots but that has levelled out to light periods 4/52.  Much better than before she had it fitted.....  Hope that helps.  

Take Care   Gilly x   

kmb

Hi gilly, can u tell me your experience once your coil was removed, I was having a light period, which what I expected, but wasn't told about big clots and gushing of blood, quite frightening really, but have now read up on it, good old internet...apparently it's normal!! 

Just wondering if anyone else had this recently, partner just gone away, 're work until Thursday and have been left on my Billy....typical!!! Xx thank you 

Butterfly318

Morning Karen

I also found working kept me sane,  not sure it did a lot for my colleagues tho'.  I had Chemo first so not had a period at all and started Tamoxifen July 2013.  Just on a break from that for reconstruction sceduled for tomorrow.  Will be thinking of you going for surgery.  Keep posting Karen, you'll always be able to get answers and support of the forum..

Take Care  Gilly x     

kmb

Hi keeks,

Thank you for making me feel so welcome to this "orrible club"

Well another week gone by, coil now removed, feeling more in control of me, although not having a period in about 10 years, was a bit strange,  but feeling quietly confident, starting to talk more openly about bc, I am trying to face "it" as a matter of fact, which is helping me enormously, I still get the emotional outburst, but feeling I am  more in control, I have also been to dentist, got an absess on my tooth, May need to come out, so what more can be thrown at me ha ha , working helps so much, keeping my mind sane, they have been absolutely brilliant!!  

Thank you for taking time out to post your thoughts, it was very appreciated, everyone on the forum has been wonderful,  these threads have been so amazingly helpful and I no longer feel in isolation, I know we are very strong ladies, we can beat this.....thank you all xxx Karen 

kmb

Thanks for your post Gilly, coil now removed, feeling  a little in control, although having a period after 10 yr was a little strange!! My doctor also stated that there was no link to bc, and thought I should keep it in, but after another call from my surgeon administration team asking me to do a trial with them about the Marina coil also said they ask their ladies to have it removed, confusing!! Glad it's gone now tho, only one alien "thing" left in me to go!!!  Coming more to terms with "it" talking more about it, is helping me, also working is keeping me sane, only 16 days counting down, trying to remain calm 

Thank you again , take care Karen xxx 

Mel66

I think it's a natural human reaction to these kinds of things to search for the reason 'why' these things are happening to us. I don't think it's just about finding something to blame... if we can find the culprit, then we can stop it happening again. I have read about oestrogen levels in milk and dairy products and pondered the same kind of questions.

Unfortunately I think, in the vast majority of cases, there is no explanation. The human body is fallible and things mess up. Our cells spontaneously start doing things they're not supposed to.... and we find ourselves here.

Unless we have a definite 'why', such as genetics, I don't think that is is helpful to dwell too much on the question. It can only lead to feelings of self recrimination and 'if only's'. Could we have eaten healthier? Exercised more? Not used that antiperspirant? Drank less wine? Had less stress?... the list of possible culprits are endless.

Coming to terms with having BC is a slow process... and one that I am still far from reaching. Thankfully, I found this forum and it all became a whole lot easier to deal with.

Hugs. Mel x
Butterfly318

Hi KmB

Like Keeks said we all play that blame game at daft oclock.  I had a Merena for 3 years 2009 until 2012 and found it fabulous.  However,  i had  routine Mammogram October 2011 and everything was fine.  I found a lump in October 2012 when getting dressed.  You will know just how quickly things move and within 10 days i had a confirmation that i had Breast Cancer which was ER8/8 PR8/8.  The Surgical Consultant said there is no clear evidence around the connection but some research and she asked if i would consider having it removed.  That was 4.15 on Thursday and i rang my GP who had removed by 12 noon the following day at my request but he did say that he didn't feel it was linked.  So i think the answer is no absolue evidence as yet but lots of differing opinion.  I was advised that whether or not i had reached the Menopause the Chemotherapy would be likely to stop any monthly menstruation and it definately did.

Talk to your Consultant to see what he / she thinks. 

Good luck with your treatment and keep posting.

Take Care   Gilly x     

keeks

Hi Kmb welcome to our horrible little club.

the waiting is the absolute worst time. You are feeling fine but know what's to come. The mind is a powerful thing and takes you places you don't want to go.

the subject of the coil has come up several times before and you should be able to find old threads on it. The cancer research web site has a study on it and they said there is no evidence that it causes bc. However the hormones feed hormone positive bc the same way hrt does. So you need a different type of coil.  

Most of us have played the 'blame game' in the beginning. I think it's all part of the 'why me game' that we play at stupid o'clock when we can't sleep.i have tormented myself with several decisions I have made in my past which  may have incresed my chances of getting bc. Mine was also caught early and the treatments I received were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

I hope you will keep posting and get answers that help.

take care

keeks

kmb

marina coil and breast cancer

Hi

I am new to all those scary stuff, I  have  read that there is no real connection having a, Marian coil, and breast cancer, but have been advised that my cancer is oestrogen based and to remove the coil asap, has anyone else found this?

I think if I have reason why, it is,easier to come to terms with? Finding it very difficult having my life in limbo, I feel like my body has been invaded, but trying to remain calm and positive, have been told they have caught it early, s o I am keeping busy until I have my procedure on 19/08 which feels like a life time away ,

thank you for reading